Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Inspiron 510m boot problem

  • Jim Diamond
    Message 1 of 5 , May 4 7:57 AM
      On Fri, May 4, 2007 at 14:15 (-0000), Alwin Gupta wrote:

      > Hi,

      > Though this is not directly related to linux, but would appreciate any
      > kind of help.

      > I have a inspiron 510m, which is around 2.5 years old (running fedora
      > core 2). It was working perfectly fine till now, but today it hanged 3
      > times and now it not booting up. On pressing power button power,
      > hard-disk LED comes up along with keyboard LEDs (but without any
      > activity on LCD screen) and then everything goes off. During this time
      > processor fan also seem to work. I tried this a number of times and
      > one time I was able to get into BIOS setup, but while browsing the
      > setup setting it again hanged. Battery is also fully charged, and I
      > also tried with and without AC adapter, but that also doesn't work.
      > What could be the problem, any ideas?

      Alwin,

      as someone else suggested, check your memory (if you can).

      Your symptoms sound reminiscent of mine when the mobo in a D600 rolled
      over and died... I hope for your sake it is your memory!

      Jim
    • Alwin Gupta
      Message 2 of 5 , May 6 3:08 AM
        Jim, LV Gandhi,

        Thanks for your suggestions. After removing and reinstalling reserve
        battery and memory, it came up. I downloaded memtest memory testing
        utility and it gave no indication of any memory error. I left memtest
        running for around 6 hours. My laptop is a bit better now, but hangs
        once in around 12 hours or so. Looks like something else other than
        memory is going bad..

        -Alwin

        --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Jim Diamond <zsd@...> wrote:

        > On Fri, May 4, 2007 at 14:15 (-0000), Alwin Gupta wrote:
        >
        > > Hi,
        >
        > > Though this is not directly related to linux, but would appreciate any
        > > kind of help.
        >
        > > I have a inspiron 510m, which is around 2.5 years old (running fedora
        > > core 2). It was working perfectly fine till now, but today it hanged 3
        > > times and now it not booting up. On pressing power button power,
        > > hard-disk LED comes up along with keyboard LEDs (but without any
        > > activity on LCD screen) and then everything goes off. During this time
        > > processor fan also seem to work. I tried this a number of times and
        > > one time I was able to get into BIOS setup, but while browsing the
        > > setup setting it again hanged. Battery is also fully charged, and I
        > > also tried with and without AC adapter, but that also doesn't work.
        > > What could be the problem, any ideas?
        >
        > Alwin,
        >
        > as someone else suggested, check your memory (if you can).
        >
        > Your symptoms sound reminiscent of mine when the mobo in a D600 rolled
        > over and died... I hope for your sake it is your memory!
        >
        > Jim

      • foundprophet87
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 6, 2007
          Anytime we've had the "flashing lights of death" on the laptops here
          at work, Dell support usually ends up replacing the mainboard. If
          you're not under warranty, those can get quite expensive (close to
          $1000 or more). Save your money and get new laptop. ;)

          Good Luck!

          --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Alwin Gupta"

          <snip>