Re: Latitude C400 Overheating+Slowdown under Debian Etch

  • artyomtnk
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 19, 2007
      Ok, thanks, so it seems that the fan is broken.
      Meanwhile I had reduced in BIOS the AC mode from
      maximal performance to maximum battery and I work
      on 750MHz instead of 1GHz even on AC. Running this
      mode I get maximum on heavy long loads to 65-68C
      So it do not creates problems but it is 25% peformance
      reduction.

      If I was able to adjust the CPU frequency according
      to temperature thresholds:

      1000MHz - 60 normal work low temperatures
      750MHz 60 - 80 reduce under loads
      185MHz 80 + critical temperatures

      But cpufreq-set do not work and I /proc/acpi/
      there is no support for changing CPU freq.

      Thanks,
      Artyom

      --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, James Frye <frye@...> wrote:
      > Can't help with the other questions, but I have a similar model, and
      I can
      > definitely hear the fan when I'm running a long compute-intensive
      program.
      > I also (IIRC) don't get CPU temps that high, or see slowdown for
      thermal
      > protection, so broken fan would be my first guess.
      >
      > James

    • artyomtnk
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 20, 2007
        Hello,

        I had found the solution for clock control according
        to the temperature of the CPU.

        I had to load following modules:

        speedstep_ich
        cpufreq_stats
        cpufreq_powersave

        and then I had installed cpufreqd that had given me the solution

        I just adjusted a little temperature ranges in /erc/cpufreqd.conf
        and thats it. Even at heavy long loads I get maximum to 75C and
        the clock is reduced to 750MHz and normally it works on 1GHz at
        temperatures of about 55C.

        Artyom

        --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "artyomtnk" <artyomtnk@...>