Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Latitude C400 Overheating+Slowdown under Debian Etch

  • James Frye
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 18, 2007
      On Wed, 18 Apr 2007, artyomtnk wrote:

      > - I can see a small fan at the bottom of the laptop
      > but I don't see it is spinning? Does this mean it
      > is broken or I do not have correct settings for
      > i8k driver?

      Can't help with the other questions, but I have a similar model, and I can
      definitely hear the fan when I'm running a long compute-intensive program.
      I also (IIRC) don't get CPU temps that high, or see slowdown for thermal
      protection, so broken fan would be my first guess.

      James
    • artyomtnk
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 19, 2007
        Ok, thanks, so it seems that the fan is broken.
        Meanwhile I had reduced in BIOS the AC mode from
        maximal performance to maximum battery and I work
        on 750MHz instead of 1GHz even on AC. Running this
        mode I get maximum on heavy long loads to 65-68C
        So it do not creates problems but it is 25% peformance
        reduction.

        If I was able to adjust the CPU frequency according
        to temperature thresholds:

        1000MHz - 60 normal work low temperatures
        750MHz 60 - 80 reduce under loads
        185MHz 80 + critical temperatures

        But cpufreq-set do not work and I /proc/acpi/
        there is no support for changing CPU freq.

        Thanks,
        Artyom

        --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, James Frye <frye@...> wrote:
        > Can't help with the other questions, but I have a similar model, and
        I can
        > definitely hear the fan when I'm running a long compute-intensive
        program.
        > I also (IIRC) don't get CPU temps that high, or see slowdown for
        thermal
        > protection, so broken fan would be my first guess.
        >
        > James

      • artyomtnk
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 20, 2007
          Hello,

          I had found the solution for clock control according
          to the temperature of the CPU.

          I had to load following modules:

          speedstep_ich
          cpufreq_stats
          cpufreq_powersave

          and then I had installed cpufreqd that had given me the solution

          I just adjusted a little temperature ranges in /erc/cpufreqd.conf
          and thats it. Even at heavy long loads I get maximum to 75C and
          the clock is reduced to 750MHz and normally it works on 1GHz at
          temperatures of about 55C.

          Artyom

          --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "artyomtnk" <artyomtnk@...>