Latitude C400 Overheating+Slowdown under Debian Etch

  • artyomtnk
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 17, 2007
      Hello,

      I have overheating and slowdown issues under Dell C400
      with PIII 1GHz CPU.

      What happens - after reboot everything is fine laptop works
      on full power (I'd written simple program that
      makes CPU work hard and test run time).

      The CPU temperature according to:
      cat /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THM/temperature
      Is about 48-54C.

      When I start running heavy loads - it heats up to 90C
      and then I see a message in /var/log/acpi

      received event "processor CPU0 00000080 00000001"
      notifying client 2604[105:108]
      notifying client 2881[0:0]
      completed event "processor CPU0 00000080 00000001"

      After that the performance of the computer is dramatically
      reduced and the temperature goes down to 60C under load
      and 45-50C without. Program that used to run about 11s
      now runs about 1m30s (!).

      When I reboot and load i8k module (modprobe i8k)

      I do not get to 90C but the performance reduced at lower
      temperatures and it not recovered back - the simple
      program that run about 11s now runs about a minute.

      Several questions:

      - I understand that it is important to reduce clock in
      order to not overheat the processor, but how to get
      it back when there is no load and the temperature
      is normal?

      - I can see a small fan at the bottom of the laptop
      but I don't see it is spinning? Does this mean it
      is broken or I do not have correct settings for
      i8k driver?

      - I can figure out that the CPU frequency is changed
      in all these cases and in case I plug in/out the
      AC power. However I do not see any change in
      /proc/cpuinfo. Is there any way to change this
      behavior or other way to check CPU frequency?

      - How can I control manually CPU clock frequency?
      (If it is possible at all.)

      Thanks,

      Artyom
    • James Frye
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 18, 2007
        On Wed, 18 Apr 2007, artyomtnk wrote:

        > - I can see a small fan at the bottom of the laptop
        > but I don't see it is spinning? Does this mean it
        > is broken or I do not have correct settings for
        > i8k driver?

        Can't help with the other questions, but I have a similar model, and I can
        definitely hear the fan when I'm running a long compute-intensive program.
        I also (IIRC) don't get CPU temps that high, or see slowdown for thermal
        protection, so broken fan would be my first guess.

        James
      • artyomtnk
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 19, 2007
          Ok, thanks, so it seems that the fan is broken.
          Meanwhile I had reduced in BIOS the AC mode from
          maximal performance to maximum battery and I work
          on 750MHz instead of 1GHz even on AC. Running this
          mode I get maximum on heavy long loads to 65-68C
          So it do not creates problems but it is 25% peformance
          reduction.

          If I was able to adjust the CPU frequency according
          to temperature thresholds:

          1000MHz - 60 normal work low temperatures
          750MHz 60 - 80 reduce under loads
          185MHz 80 + critical temperatures

          But cpufreq-set do not work and I /proc/acpi/
          there is no support for changing CPU freq.

          Thanks,
          Artyom

          --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, James Frye <frye@...> wrote:
          > Can't help with the other questions, but I have a similar model, and
          I can
          > definitely hear the fan when I'm running a long compute-intensive
          program.
          > I also (IIRC) don't get CPU temps that high, or see slowdown for
          thermal
          > protection, so broken fan would be my first guess.
          >
          > James

        • artyomtnk
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 20, 2007
            Hello,

            I had found the solution for clock control according
            to the temperature of the CPU.

            I had to load following modules:

            speedstep_ich
            cpufreq_stats
            cpufreq_powersave

            and then I had installed cpufreqd that had given me the solution

            I just adjusted a little temperature ranges in /erc/cpufreqd.conf
            and thats it. Even at heavy long loads I get maximum to 75C and
            the clock is reduced to 750MHz and normally it works on 1GHz at
            temperatures of about 55C.

            Artyom

            --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "artyomtnk" <artyomtnk@...>