Re: Linux + Dell 5700 Mobile Broadband (CDMA EVDO) Expresscard Modem

  • Linux Cruiser
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 21, 2007
      --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Joe" <Joeyshinobi88@...>
      wrote:

      > link's dead the thread got deleted.

      Hmm... strange... I can get to it fine.

      > you think you could post it here for me?

      Sure thing. It's at the bottom of this post.

      > also, the only thing i saw in the archives about 3g cards was one
      > about an pci-express minicard. mine is an expresscard that plugs into
      > the side of the laptop. yes they both connect to 3g networks but does
      > the different type of hardware make a difference?

      These cards (internal and external) present themselves as USB devices.
      if you run "tail -f /var/log/messages" and insert your card, you will
      see exactly what I'm talking about. Since they are all really just
      serial devices, the "usbserial" module works for virtually all of them
      the same way.

      Here's the post from the dell site:

      ------------

      Here's how it's done...

      Get specifics about the device as shown below:

      $ sudo lsusb -v

      (output edited to show only interesting fields)
      Bus 003 Device 003: ID 413c:8114 Dell Computer Corp.
      Device Descriptor:
      idVendor 0x413c Dell Computer Corp.
      idProduct 0x8114
      iManufacturer 1 Novatel Wireless Inc.
      iProduct 2 Novatel Wireless EXPD CDMA

      To use the device, one must load the "usbserial" module with specifics
      obtained from above.

      $ sudo modprobe usbserial vendor=0x413c product=0x8114

      If successfully loaded, you'll just be thrown back to a prompt. Check
      /var/log/messages for information as to which device name was select
      for use.

      i.e. usually "/dev/ttyUSB0" or "/dev/ttyUSB1"

      In Ubuntu, and other distros, you can also add the module to the list
      in /etc/modules to load it automatically on boot: "usbserial
      vendor=0x413c product=0x8114"

      Once you have your device loaded, just create a ppp0 connection using
      your favorite dial up utility.

      "pppconfig" works for me:

      $ sudo pppconfig

      Select "Create a connection"
      Provider Name: verizon
      Select "Dynamic DNS".
      Select "PAP" as the Authentication method
      Username: phone_number_here@...
      Password: anything... "password" for example.
      Speed: 115200
      Select "Tone"
      Phone Number: #777
      Manually define device as "ttyUSB0", or whatever was shown in
      /var/log/messages.
      Finish and save changes...

      I also add the following two lines to /etc/ppp/peers/verizon to
      prevent annoying automatic disconnections due to a lack of lcp responses.

      lcp-echo-failure 4
      lcp-echo-interval 65535

      I have also seen other configurations that set both values to zero.

      To connect, simply type the following:

      $ sudo pppd call verizon

      Again, look at /var/log/messages for all the nice pppd connection
      output. You should receive an IP address within a few seconds, and
      you're ready to surf.

      $ ifconfig ppp0

      Have fun.