Re: Linux + Dell 5700 Mobile Broadband (CDMA EVDO) Expresscard Modem

  • Joe
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 21, 2007
      link's dead the thread got deleted.

      you think you could post it here for me?

      also, the only thing i saw in the archives about 3g cards was one
      about an pci-express minicard. mine is an expresscard that plugs into
      the side of the laptop. yes they both connect to 3g networks but does
      the different type of hardware make a difference?

      thanks!

      -Joe

      --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Linux Cruiser"

      http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=si_wireless&message.id=30802

      > I use Ubuntu, but the principle is the same. Load the "usbserial"
      > module, using product and vendor ID as variables. You then use any
      > PPP configuration utility and dialer to use your wireless connection.
      >
      > Hope this helps.
      >

      > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Joe" <Joeyshinobi88@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi there.
      > >
      > > I've got an expresscard modem for 3g verizon wireless service and
      > > Mandriva 2007 Powerpack dual boot on a Dell XPS M1710.
      > >
      > > I've found next to nothing regarding Mandriva 2007, let alone any
      > > linux at all on M1710s on the net, and saw some help for the minicard
      > > version of my modem in this group.
      > >
      > > could somebody help me out? what do i need to do to get this bugger
      > > working? Is it the card that's unsupported or the expresscard bay
      > > itself? When i try to set the connection to the "3g" setting it tells
      > > me that there's no device of that sort detected.
      > >
      > > thanks!!
      > >
      > > -Joe

    • Linux Cruiser
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 21, 2007
        wrote:

        > link's dead the thread got deleted.

        Hmm... strange... I can get to it fine.

        > you think you could post it here for me?

        Sure thing. It's at the bottom of this post.

        > also, the only thing i saw in the archives about 3g cards was one
        > about an pci-express minicard. mine is an expresscard that plugs into
        > the side of the laptop. yes they both connect to 3g networks but does
        > the different type of hardware make a difference?

        These cards (internal and external) present themselves as USB devices.
        if you run "tail -f /var/log/messages" and insert your card, you will
        see exactly what I'm talking about. Since they are all really just
        serial devices, the "usbserial" module works for virtually all of them
        the same way.

        Here's the post from the dell site:

        ------------

        Here's how it's done...

        Get specifics about the device as shown below:

        $ sudo lsusb -v

        (output edited to show only interesting fields)
        Bus 003 Device 003: ID 413c:8114 Dell Computer Corp.
        Device Descriptor:
        idVendor 0x413c Dell Computer Corp.
        idProduct 0x8114
        iManufacturer 1 Novatel Wireless Inc.
        iProduct 2 Novatel Wireless EXPD CDMA

        To use the device, one must load the "usbserial" module with specifics
        obtained from above.

        $ sudo modprobe usbserial vendor=0x413c product=0x8114

        If successfully loaded, you'll just be thrown back to a prompt. Check
        /var/log/messages for information as to which device name was select
        for use.

        i.e. usually "/dev/ttyUSB0" or "/dev/ttyUSB1"

        In Ubuntu, and other distros, you can also add the module to the list
        in /etc/modules to load it automatically on boot: "usbserial
        vendor=0x413c product=0x8114"

        Once you have your device loaded, just create a ppp0 connection using
        your favorite dial up utility.

        "pppconfig" works for me:

        $ sudo pppconfig

        Select "Create a connection"
        Provider Name: verizon
        Select "Dynamic DNS".
        Select "PAP" as the Authentication method
        Username: phone_number_here@...
        Password: anything... "password" for example.
        Speed: 115200
        Select "Tone"
        Phone Number: #777
        Manually define device as "ttyUSB0", or whatever was shown in
        /var/log/messages.
        Finish and save changes...

        I also add the following two lines to /etc/ppp/peers/verizon to
        prevent annoying automatic disconnections due to a lack of lcp responses.

        lcp-echo-failure 4
        lcp-echo-interval 65535

        I have also seen other configurations that set both values to zero.

        To connect, simply type the following:

        $ sudo pppd call verizon

        Again, look at /var/log/messages for all the nice pppd connection
        output. You should receive an IP address within a few seconds, and
        you're ready to surf.

        $ ifconfig ppp0

        Have fun.