Linux + Dell 5700 Mobile Broadband (CDMA EVDO) Expresscard Modem

  • Joe
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 21, 2007
      Hi there.

      I've got an expresscard modem for 3g verizon wireless service and
      Mandriva 2007 Powerpack dual boot on a Dell XPS M1710.

      I've found next to nothing regarding Mandriva 2007, let alone any
      linux at all on M1710s on the net, and saw some help for the minicard
      version of my modem in this group.

      could somebody help me out? what do i need to do to get this bugger
      working? Is it the card that's unsupported or the expresscard bay
      itself? When i try to set the connection to the "3g" setting it tells
      me that there's no device of that sort detected.

      thanks!!

      -Joe
    • Linux Cruiser
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 21, 2007
        It's actually quite easy to get the 3g cards working in Linux. I
        posted a quick how-to on the dell wireless forums back in January.
        Actually, someone just the other day posted it here... but the
        original link can be found at:

        http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=si_wireless&message.id=30802

        I use Ubuntu, but the principle is the same. Load the "usbserial"
        module, using product and vendor ID as variables. You then use any
        PPP configuration utility and dialer to use your wireless connection.

        Hope this helps.

        --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Joe" <Joeyshinobi88@...>
        wrote:

        > Hi there.
        >
        > I've got an expresscard modem for 3g verizon wireless service and
        > Mandriva 2007 Powerpack dual boot on a Dell XPS M1710.
        >
        > I've found next to nothing regarding Mandriva 2007, let alone any
        > linux at all on M1710s on the net, and saw some help for the minicard
        > version of my modem in this group.
        >
        > could somebody help me out? what do i need to do to get this bugger
        > working? Is it the card that's unsupported or the expresscard bay
        > itself? When i try to set the connection to the "3g" setting it tells
        > me that there's no device of that sort detected.
        >
        > thanks!!
        >
        > -Joe

      • Joe
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 21, 2007
          link's dead the thread got deleted.

          you think you could post it here for me?

          also, the only thing i saw in the archives about 3g cards was one
          about an pci-express minicard. mine is an expresscard that plugs into
          the side of the laptop. yes they both connect to 3g networks but does
          the different type of hardware make a difference?

          thanks!

          -Joe

          --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Linux Cruiser"
          <linuxcruiser@...> wrote:

          > It's actually quite easy to get the 3g cards working in Linux. I
          > posted a quick how-to on the dell wireless forums back in January.
          > Actually, someone just the other day posted it here... but the
          > original link can be found at:

          http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=si_wireless&message.id=30802

          > I use Ubuntu, but the principle is the same. Load the "usbserial"
          > module, using product and vendor ID as variables. You then use any
          > PPP configuration utility and dialer to use your wireless connection.
          >
          > Hope this helps.
          >

          > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Joe" <Joeyshinobi88@>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi there.
          > >
          > > I've got an expresscard modem for 3g verizon wireless service and
          > > Mandriva 2007 Powerpack dual boot on a Dell XPS M1710.
          > >
          > > I've found next to nothing regarding Mandriva 2007, let alone any
          > > linux at all on M1710s on the net, and saw some help for the minicard
          > > version of my modem in this group.
          > >
          > > could somebody help me out? what do i need to do to get this bugger
          > > working? Is it the card that's unsupported or the expresscard bay
          > > itself? When i try to set the connection to the "3g" setting it tells
          > > me that there's no device of that sort detected.
          > >
          > > thanks!!
          > >
          > > -Joe

        • Linux Cruiser
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 21, 2007
            wrote:

            > link's dead the thread got deleted.

            Hmm... strange... I can get to it fine.

            > you think you could post it here for me?

            Sure thing. It's at the bottom of this post.

            > also, the only thing i saw in the archives about 3g cards was one
            > about an pci-express minicard. mine is an expresscard that plugs into
            > the side of the laptop. yes they both connect to 3g networks but does
            > the different type of hardware make a difference?

            These cards (internal and external) present themselves as USB devices.
            if you run "tail -f /var/log/messages" and insert your card, you will
            see exactly what I'm talking about. Since they are all really just
            serial devices, the "usbserial" module works for virtually all of them
            the same way.

            Here's the post from the dell site:

            ------------

            Here's how it's done...

            Get specifics about the device as shown below:

            $ sudo lsusb -v

            (output edited to show only interesting fields)
            Bus 003 Device 003: ID 413c:8114 Dell Computer Corp.
            Device Descriptor:
            idVendor 0x413c Dell Computer Corp.
            idProduct 0x8114
            iManufacturer 1 Novatel Wireless Inc.
            iProduct 2 Novatel Wireless EXPD CDMA

            To use the device, one must load the "usbserial" module with specifics
            obtained from above.

            $ sudo modprobe usbserial vendor=0x413c product=0x8114

            If successfully loaded, you'll just be thrown back to a prompt. Check
            /var/log/messages for information as to which device name was select
            for use.

            i.e. usually "/dev/ttyUSB0" or "/dev/ttyUSB1"

            In Ubuntu, and other distros, you can also add the module to the list
            in /etc/modules to load it automatically on boot: "usbserial
            vendor=0x413c product=0x8114"

            Once you have your device loaded, just create a ppp0 connection using
            your favorite dial up utility.

            "pppconfig" works for me:

            $ sudo pppconfig

            Select "Create a connection"
            Provider Name: verizon
            Select "Dynamic DNS".
            Select "PAP" as the Authentication method
            Username: phone_number_here@...
            Password: anything... "password" for example.
            Speed: 115200
            Select "Tone"
            Phone Number: #777
            Manually define device as "ttyUSB0", or whatever was shown in
            /var/log/messages.
            Finish and save changes...

            I also add the following two lines to /etc/ppp/peers/verizon to
            prevent annoying automatic disconnections due to a lack of lcp responses.

            lcp-echo-failure 4
            lcp-echo-interval 65535

            I have also seen other configurations that set both values to zero.

            To connect, simply type the following:

            $ sudo pppd call verizon

            Again, look at /var/log/messages for all the nice pppd connection
            output. You should receive an IP address within a few seconds, and
            you're ready to surf.

            $ ifconfig ppp0

            Have fun.