Suse Linux 10.1

  • upshaw1971
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 20, 2007
      ALl,

      I recently received a Latitude D610 through work.
      It has a 1.73Ghz Pentium M Processor with 2GB of Ram.
      It has a Dell Wireless 1370 WLAN mini PCI card, but I cannot get it
      configured with Linux.

      This PC dual boots between Suse 10.1 and XP Pro SP2, and I know the
      wireless works. I can even get the Wired ethernet connection to work,
      but not the wireless.

      Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    • David Rumptz
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 20, 2007
        I got this off Ubuntu's web site.

        HardwareSupportComponentsWirelessNetworkCardsDell

        Dell

        Wireless 1370 802.11bg

        Broadcom 4318

        Ships with Celeron model Inspiron 1300. Tried ndiswrapper and firmware methods forum thread. lspci reports: Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02). Card starts up but cannot find any way to connect to network with dapper

        Rumptz

        I recently received a Latitude D610 through work.
        It has a 1.73Ghz Pentium M Processor with 2GB of Ram.
        It has a Dell Wireless 1370 WLAN mini PCI card, but I cannot get it
        configured with Linux.

        This PC dual boots between Suse 10.1 and XP Pro SP2, and I know the
        wireless works. I can even get the Wired ethernet connection to work,
        but not the wireless.

        Any help would be greatly appreciated.

        Food fight? Enjoy some healthy debate
        in the Yahoo! Answers Food & Drink Q&A.
      • foundprophet87
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 27, 2007
          I had some issues under Core 6 with the D620 BCM wireless. Use this
          website for info on the BCM chipset:
          http://bcm43xx.berlios.de/

          I was able to get it to work using ndiswrapper
          (http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/), but it conflicted with the
          nVidia kernel module (not the one included with X11R6), dying after
          about 10 minutes of usage. At that point, there was some ugly method
          for disabling IRQ probing I had add to the initrd line in Grub; but
          the D620 has a 1470, not 1370. This changed allowed the wireless and
          nVidia modules to cooperate but killed all chances of using the power
          management (suspend, etc). You just have to pick your poison, I
          guess. I was "forced" to start testing Vista shortly after, so I've
          since lost my notes. :(

          I'm not very fluent in Suse or Ubuntu, but maybe this will at least
          give you a push in the right direction. /var/log/messages
          and 'dmesg' will give you any module loading errors during boot.
          Remember, Google is ur friend. ;)

          --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "upshaw1971"

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 6, 2007
            You'll probably need to use ndiswrapper:
            http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/joomla/

            3nj0iZ!

            <upshaw1971@...> wrote:

            > ALl,
            >
            > I recently received a Latitude D610 through work.
            > It has a 1.73Ghz Pentium M Processor with 2GB of Ram.
            > It has a Dell Wireless 1370 WLAN mini PCI card, but I cannot get it
            > configured with Linux.
            >
            > This PC dual boots between Suse 10.1 and XP Pro SP2, and I know the
            > wireless works. I can even get the Wired ethernet connection to work,
            > but not the wireless.
            >
            > Any help would be greatly appreciated.

          • Terry
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 21, 2007
              Are you trying to use both NIC's simultaneously? When you run ifconfig
              do you see eth0 and eth1? Do you have NetworkManager installed on your
              system? It's a new piece of Linux software designed to let users
              easily manage network connections
              You could use NdisWrapper to allow Linux to use standard Windows XP
              drivers for wireless network devices. You'll need to extract the .inf
              and .sys files from the Windows .exe driver. Good luck.

              --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "foundprophet87"