Re: Linux + Dell 5700 PCI Express Mini Card (CDMA EVDO)

  • Larry Adams
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 18, 2007
      Here's how it's done...

      Get specifics about the device as shown below:

      $ sudo lsusb -v

      (output edited to show only interesting fields)
      Bus 003 Device 003: ID 413c:8114 Dell Computer Corp.
      Device Descriptor:
      idVendor 0x413c Dell Computer Corp.
      idProduct 0x8114
      iManufacturer 1 Novatel Wireless Inc.
      iProduct 2 Novatel Wireless EXPD CDMA

      To use the device, one must load the "usbserial" module with specifics
      obtained from above.

      $ sudo modprobe usbserial vendor=0x413c product=0x8114

      If successfully loaded, you'll just be thrown back to a prompt. Check
      /var/log/messages for information as to which device name was select
      for use.

      i.e. usually "/dev/ttyUSB0" or "/dev/ttyUSB1"

      In Suse, and other distros, you can also add the module to the list in
      /etc/modules to load it automatically on boot: "usbserial
      vendor=0x413c product=0x8114"

      Once you have your device loaded, just create a ppp0 connection using
      your favorite dial up utility.

      "pppconfig" works for me:

      $ sudo pppconfig

      Select "Create a connection"
      Provider Name: verizon
      Select "Dynamic DNS".
      Select "PAP" as the Authentication method
      Username: phone_number_here@...
      Password: anything... "password" for example.
      Speed: 115200
      Select "Tone"
      Phone Number: #777
      Manually define device as "ttyUSB0", or whatever was shown in
      /var/log/messages.
      Finish and save changes...

      I also add the following two lines to /etc/ppp/peers/verizon to
      prevent annoying automatic disconnections due to a lack of lcp responses.

      lcp-echo-failure 4
      lcp-echo-interval 65535

      I have also seen other configurations that set both values to zero.

      To connect, simply type the following:

      $ sudo pppd call verizon

      Again, look at /var/log/messages for all the nice pppd connection
      output. You should receive an IP address within a few seconds, and
      you're ready to surf.

      $ ifconfig ppp0

      Have fun.

      --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, uteck <theuteck@...> wrote:

      > DId you see if it was listed as a pci device with 'lshw' or 'lspci'?
      > I was reading about using the Verizon or Sprint pcmcia cards under
      > Linux, and all I read indicated that they are detected as modems and
      > should work like one.
      >
      > On 1/6/07, Linux Cruiser <linuxcruiser@...> wrote:
      > > I've posted this on dell's forums as well, and it does not appear to
      > > come up anywhere else on the net yet.
      > >
      > > I'm trying to see if anyone has had any success in getting the
      > > internal Dell 5700 PCI Express Mini Card (CDMA EVDO) to work under
      Linux.

      > > I don't believe this card is presented as a USB device, so the
      > > usbserial module may not work if that's the case.
      > >
      > > Any info would be greatly appreciated.
      > >

      > --
      > no .sig found
      > Please restart your browser.

    • Larry Adams
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 18, 2007

        --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Linux Cruiser"
        <linuxcruiser@...> wrote:

        > I've posted this on dell's forums as well, and it does not appear to
        > come up anywhere else on the net yet.
        >
        > I'm trying to see if anyone has had any success in getting the
        > internal Dell 5700 PCI Express Mini Card (CDMA EVDO) to work under
        Linux.

        > I don't believe this card is presented as a USB device, so the
        > usbserial module may not work if that's the case.
        >
        > Any info would be greatly appreciated.

      • Chris Fox
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 18, 2007
          This is fantastic. Thanks.