D520 in knoppix based distro doesn't connect

  • daniel_yokomiso
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 22, 2007

      Today I acquired a Latitude D520 and as usual I installed Linux on
      it since it's my usual OS. everything went fine except for the wifi
      (which I'm solving now) and my network access. It seems that I'm
      unable to make it connect to my cable modem via DHCP. in
      /var/log/messages there's this strange message: "eth0: Flow control is
      off for TX and off for RX". My desktop (using the same distro)
      connects fine. My google-fu failed me and I'm unable to solve this
      issue. Does anyone here has any idea on how to fix this?

      Thanks in advance,

      Daniel Yokomizo.

      P.S.: I'm cross-posting to linux-desktops@....
    • uteck
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 23, 2007
        If you are connecting directly to the cable modem, some companies only
        allow you to connect 1 computer at a time. To get around this yo have
        to reboot the cable modem to clear out the mac address of the last
        machine to connect to it.

        --
        no .sig found
        Please restart your browser.
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 23, 2007
          On Tue, Jan 23, 2007 at 07:58 (-0600), uteck wrote:

          > On 1/22/07, daniel_yokomiso <daniel_yokomiso@...> wrote:
          >> Hi,

          >> Today I acquired a Latitude D520 and as usual I installed Linux on
          >> it since it's my usual OS. everything went fine except for the wifi
          >> (which I'm solving now) and my network access. It seems that I'm
          >> unable to make it connect to my cable modem via DHCP. in
          >> /var/log/messages there's this strange message: "eth0: Flow control is
          >> off for TX and off for RX". My desktop (using the same distro)
          >> connects fine. My google-fu failed me and I'm unable to solve this
          >> issue. Does anyone here has any idea on how to fix this?

          >> Thanks in advance,

          >> Daniel Yokomizo.

          >> P.S.: I'm cross-posting to linux-desktops@....

          > If you are connecting directly to the cable modem, some companies only
          > allow you to connect 1 computer at a time. To get around this yo have
          > to reboot the cable modem to clear out the mac address of the last
          > machine to connect to it.

          Or, if that is the issue and your desktop machine is not physically
          connected, you can use ifconfig to spoof the ethernet address on your
          D520's card to make it the same as the one on your desktop.

          If none of this works and you re-post, some information about your
          Linux distro and what ethernet card is in your laptop might help.

          Cheers.
          Jim
        • Daniel Yokomiso
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 23, 2007
            --- uteck <theuteck@...> escreveu:

            > If you are connecting directly to the cable modem,
            > some companies only
            > allow you to connect 1 computer at a time. To get
            > around this yo have
            > to reboot the cable modem to clear out the mac
            > address of the last
            > machine to connect to it.

            Boy do I feel stupid now. That did the trick. Thanks
            for your help.

            > --
            > no .sig found
            > Please restart your browser.

            Fale com seus amigos de graça com o novo Yahoo! Messenger
            http://br.messenger.yahoo.com/