  • quad_13947
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 16, 2007
      Hi:

      I have an old Inspiron 8200 and I have just completed an upgrade to
      FC6. This is using the 2.6.18 kernel. I also have i8kutils installed.

      When I boot, I get the error message:

      Searching on my system, I cannot find any i8k.o file anywhere, so it
      makes sense that loading this module has failed. Is there some other
      package that I am supposed to install?

      Thanks
    • Gilbert Mendoza
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 17, 2007
        Greets...

        You're looking for i8k.ko Try "locate i8k.ko" for an indexed search,
        or directly list it with:

        ls -l /lib/modules/`(uname -r)`/kernel/drivers/char/i8k.ko

        However, the message you're getting is saying that it failed to load
        the module, not that it couldn't be found. If you run "modprobe
        hahaha", you'll see the difference in error messages.

        You're module may be failing to load due to a version check or
        something similar. Some have recommended forcing the module to load
        with "modprobe -f i8k" in such a scenario. Give that a shot as it
        will most likely work for you.

        Be warned that forcing the module can also be a tad on the dangerous
        side. However, I have had success in the past doing this with a many
        other dell laptops, and experienced no troubles. You get a number of
        benefits with the module, including temperature readings and manual fan
        control.

        Regards.

        --- quad_13947 <quad@...> wrote:

        > Hi:
        >
        > I have an old Inspiron 8200 and I have just completed an upgrade to
        > FC6. This is using the 2.6.18 kernel. I also have i8kutils
        > installed.
        >
        > When I boot, I get the error message:
        >
        > Searching on my system, I cannot find any i8k.o file anywhere, so it
        > makes sense that loading this module has failed. Is there some other
        > package that I am supposed to install?
        >
        > Thanks

        It's here! Your new message!
      • Dave Kristol
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 26, 2007
          --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Gilbert Mendoza
          <linuxcruiser@...> wrote:

          > Greets...
          >
          > You're looking for i8k.ko Try "locate i8k.ko" for an indexed search,
          > or directly list it with:
          >
          > ls -l /lib/modules/`(uname -r)`/kernel/drivers/char/i8k.ko
          >
          > However, the message you're getting is saying that it failed to load
          > the module, not that it couldn't be found. If you run "modprobe
          > hahaha", you'll see the difference in error messages.
          >
          > You're module may be failing to load due to a version check or
          > something similar. Some have recommended forcing the module to load
          > with "modprobe -f i8k" in such a scenario. Give that a shot as it
          > will most likely work for you.

          Umm, no, the module really isn't there. I also have an Inspiron 8200,
          and the kernel module didn't get installed. So, of course, i8kutils
          won't work at all.

          Dave Kristol
        • Gilbert Mendoza
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 26, 2007
            > Umm, no, the module really isn't there. I also have an Inspiron
            8200,
            > and the kernel module didn't get installed. So, of course, i8kutils
            > won't work at all.
            >
            > Dave Kristol

            The error message you see in your boot-up screen merely is telling you
            it had a problem loading the module. In your first post you said you
            were looking for "i8k.o"... which is the wrong file name.

            "... I cannot find any i8k.o file anywhere..."

            The actual kernel module is named: "i8k.ko". Notice the 'k' in the
            file name. In my first response, I told you how to find it, if it is
            installed.

            Check the following URL which shows you the contents of your FC6 kernel
            version RPM (as long as this is the version you are in fact using):

            http://rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/fedora/6/i386/kernel-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6.i686.html

            It shows that the file is located at:
            /lib/modules/2.6.18-1.2798.fc6/kernel/drivers/char/i8k.ko

            Now... you can try to manually load the kernel module with modprobe and
            add -f to force it if you get any FAILED necessary.

            # modprobe -f i8k

            If the module module really doesn't exist... the error will look like
            the following:

            $ modprobe i8k
            FATAL: Module i8k not found.

            If thats the case... reinstall your kernel rpm.

            http://new.mail.yahoo.com
          • Dave Kristol
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 27, 2007
              <linuxcruiser@...> wrote:

              > > Umm, no, the module really isn't there. I also have an Inspiron
              > 8200,
              > > and the kernel module didn't get installed. So, of course, i8kutils
              > > won't work at all.
              > [...]
              > The error message you see in your boot-up screen merely is telling you
              > it had a problem loading the module. In your first post you said you
              > were looking for "i8k.o"... which is the wrong file name.
              >
              > "... I cannot find any i8k.o file anywhere..."
              >
              > The actual kernel module is named: "i8k.ko". Notice the 'k' in the
              > file name. In my first response, I told you how to find it, if it is
              > installed.

              I wasn't the orignal poster, but I have the same problem.

              > Check the following URL which shows you the contents of your FC6 kernel
              > version RPM (as long as this is the version you are in fact using):

              http://rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/fedora/6/i386/kernel-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6.i686.html

              > It shows that the file is located at:
              > /lib/modules/2.6.18-1.2798.fc6/kernel/drivers/char/i8k.ko

              $ uname -a
              Linux dmklap2 2.6.19-1.2895.fc6 #1 SMP Wed Jan 10 18:32:37 EST 2007 i686
              $ cd /lib/modules
              $ find . -name i8k.ko -print
              $ rpm -q --list kernel-2.6.18-1.2869.fc6|grep i8k
              $

              It's not there. Really!
              Dave Kristol
            • Gilbert Mendoza
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 27, 2007

                > I wasn't the orignal poster, but I have the same problem.

                Woops. My bad. First three letters of assume spells...? :-)

                > $ uname -a
                > Linux dmklap2 2.6.19-1.2895.fc6 #1 SMP Wed Jan 10 18:32:37 EST 2007
                > i686
                > $ cd /lib/modules
                > $ find . -name i8k.ko -print
                > $ rpm -q --list kernel-2.6.18-1.2869.fc6|grep i8k
                > $

                Your "find" output definitely shows that the file is not there, but
                your rpm query shows you searching for the 2.6.18, which differs from
                your uname -a output. Don't know if that was intentional or not.

                I did some searching for the kernel version you are running
                (2.6.19-1.2895.fc6), which was released on January 18th.

                I downloaded "kernel-2.6.19-1.2895.fc6.i686.rpm" from:
                http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/6/i386/

                wget
                http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/6/i386/kernel-2.6.19-1.2895.fc6.i686.rpm

                The following shows i8k.ko being included with the RPM off the fedora
                site... so I'm not sure where else it would be.

                $ rpm -qlp kernel-2.6.19-1.2895.fc6.i686.rpm | grep i8k
                /lib/modules/2.6.19-1.2895.fc6/kernel/drivers/char/i8k.ko

                Perhaps a reinstall of the kernel rpm?

                Kind regards...

                GM

                Don't pick lemons.
                See all the new 2007 cars at Yahoo! Autos.
                http://autos.yahoo.com/new_cars.html
              • Dave Kristol
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 27, 2007
                  <linuxcruiser@...> wrote:

                  > > I wasn't the orignal poster, but I have the same problem.
                  > >

                  > Woops. My bad. First three letters of assume spells...? :-)
                  >

                  > > $ uname -a
                  > > Linux dmklap2 2.6.19-1.2895.fc6 #1 SMP Wed Jan 10 18:32:37 EST 2007
                  > > i686
                  > > $ cd /lib/modules
                  > > $ find . -name i8k.ko -print
                  > > $ rpm -q --list kernel-2.6.18-1.2869.fc6|grep i8k
                  > > $
                  > >

                  > Your "find" output definitely shows that the file is not there, but
                  > your rpm query shows you searching for the 2.6.18, which differs from
                  > your uname -a output. Don't know if that was intentional or not.
                  >
                  > I did some searching for the kernel version you are running
                  > (2.6.19-1.2895.fc6), which was released on January 18th.
                  >
                  > I downloaded "kernel-2.6.19-1.2895.fc6.i686.rpm" from:
                  > http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/6/i386/
                  >
                  > wget

                  http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/6/i386/kernel-2.6.19-1.2895.fc6.i686.rpm

                  > The following shows i8k.ko being included with the RPM off the fedora
                  > site... so I'm not sure where else it would be.
                  >
                  > $ rpm -qlp kernel-2.6.19-1.2895.fc6.i686.rpm | grep i8k
                  > /lib/modules/2.6.19-1.2895.fc6/kernel/drivers/char/i8k.ko
                  >
                  > Perhaps a reinstall of the kernel rpm?

                  My whoops. But when I did the --list on the actually-installed kernel
                  RPM, i8k.ko wasn't there, of course.

                  I downloaded the kernel RPM to which you pointed, and I'm surprised
                  and disturbed that, even though the name of the RPM I installed on my
                  machine matches the one I downloaded from your link, their contents
                  are quite different. Indeed, i8k.ko is in the one you pointed to,
                  along with quite a lot of other stuff that's missing from mine. Why
                  should that be so? (I got mine through a yum update.)

                  I'll report back after I try to install it (assuming I don't hose my
                  machine :-).

                  Dave Kristol
                • Dave Kristol
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 27, 2007
                    --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Kristol"
                    <dmk-yahoo@...> wrote:
                    > [...]
                    > I'll report back after I try to install it (assuming I don't hose my
                    > machine :-).

                    That did it. And I didn't trash my system. :-) Thanks!

                    Some notes:

                    1) Did rpm -Uvh --force, because the RPM was already installed.

                    2) To turn on volume control buttons, edit /etc/sysconfig/i8k to read
                    ENABLE_I8KBUTTONS=yes
                    and restart (# service i8k restart).

                    Dave Kristol