Linux + Dell 5700 PCI Express Mini Card (CDMA EVDO)

  • Linux Cruiser
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 6, 2007
      I've posted this on dell's forums as well, and it does not appear to
      come up anywhere else on the net yet.

      I'm trying to see if anyone has had any success in getting the
      internal Dell 5700 PCI Express Mini Card (CDMA EVDO) to work under Linux.

      I don't believe this card is presented as a USB device, so the
      usbserial module may not work if that's the case.

      Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    • uteck
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 6, 2007
        DId you see if it was listed as a pci device with 'lshw' or 'lspci'?
        I was reading about using the Verizon or Sprint pcmcia cards under
        Linux, and all I read indicated that they are detected as modems and
        should work like one.

        --
        no .sig found
        Please restart your browser.
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 6, 2007
          Hey there. Thanks for the response. I ended up getting it to work
          and posted the results on my original post on the Dell forums:

          http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=si_wireless&message.id=30802

          I wasn't looking carefully enough at the output of "lsusb -v", because
          it was right there in black and white.

          Armed with the vendor and product identifiers, the device loads just
          fine as a serial modem, and works perfectly via pppd.

          Have a good one.

          LC

          --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, uteck <theuteck@...> wrote:

          > DId you see if it was listed as a pci device with 'lshw' or 'lspci'?
          > I was reading about using the Verizon or Sprint pcmcia cards under
          > Linux, and all I read indicated that they are detected as modems and
          > should work like one.
          >
          > On 1/6/07, Linux Cruiser <linuxcruiser@...> wrote:
          > > I've posted this on dell's forums as well, and it does not appear to
          > > come up anywhere else on the net yet.
          > >
          > > I'm trying to see if anyone has had any success in getting the
          > > internal Dell 5700 PCI Express Mini Card (CDMA EVDO) to work under
          Linux.

          > > I don't believe this card is presented as a USB device, so the
          > > usbserial module may not work if that's the case.
          > >
          > > Any info would be greatly appreciated.
          > >

          > --
          > no .sig found
          > Please restart your browser.

        • Larry Adams
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 18, 2007
            Here's how it's done...

            Get specifics about the device as shown below:

            $ sudo lsusb -v

            (output edited to show only interesting fields)
            Bus 003 Device 003: ID 413c:8114 Dell Computer Corp.
            Device Descriptor:
            idVendor 0x413c Dell Computer Corp.
            idProduct 0x8114
            iManufacturer 1 Novatel Wireless Inc.
            iProduct 2 Novatel Wireless EXPD CDMA

            To use the device, one must load the "usbserial" module with specifics
            obtained from above.

            $ sudo modprobe usbserial vendor=0x413c product=0x8114

            If successfully loaded, you'll just be thrown back to a prompt. Check
            /var/log/messages for information as to which device name was select
            for use.

            i.e. usually "/dev/ttyUSB0" or "/dev/ttyUSB1"

            In Suse, and other distros, you can also add the module to the list in
            /etc/modules to load it automatically on boot: "usbserial
            vendor=0x413c product=0x8114"

            Once you have your device loaded, just create a ppp0 connection using
            your favorite dial up utility.

            "pppconfig" works for me:

            $ sudo pppconfig

            Select "Create a connection"
            Provider Name: verizon
            Select "Dynamic DNS".
            Select "PAP" as the Authentication method
            Username: phone_number_here@...
            Password: anything... "password" for example.
            Speed: 115200
            Select "Tone"
            Phone Number: #777
            Manually define device as "ttyUSB0", or whatever was shown in
            /var/log/messages.
            Finish and save changes...

            I also add the following two lines to /etc/ppp/peers/verizon to
            prevent annoying automatic disconnections due to a lack of lcp responses.

            lcp-echo-failure 4
            lcp-echo-interval 65535

            I have also seen other configurations that set both values to zero.

            To connect, simply type the following:

            $ sudo pppd call verizon

            Again, look at /var/log/messages for all the nice pppd connection
            output. You should receive an IP address within a few seconds, and
            you're ready to surf.

            $ ifconfig ppp0

            Have fun.

            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 18, 2007

              --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Linux Cruiser"
              <linuxcruiser@...> wrote:

              > I've posted this on dell's forums as well, and it does not appear to
              > come up anywhere else on the net yet.
              >
              > I'm trying to see if anyone has had any success in getting the
              > internal Dell 5700 PCI Express Mini Card (CDMA EVDO) to work under
              Linux.

              > I don't believe this card is presented as a USB device, so the
              > usbserial module may not work if that's the case.
              >
              > Any info would be greatly appreciated.

            • Chris Fox
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 18, 2007
                This is fantastic. Thanks.