Re: [linux-dell-laptops] I need a second opinion. [2Anna Leahy]

  • Vadim E. Ulybin
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 5, 2007
      Sorry, I saw all the messages for this question, but as I haven't Fedora
      (RedHat 9 was the last I used from this branch) and I own Inspiron 8600C
      but not the 8100...

      And I would like to recommend You to try Mandriva 2007 as You prefer
      Linux and not MS only ;-)

      As for me, it works fine (since I had change video drivers (I have
      nVidia go5200 AFAIR) for graphical mode from proprietal nVidia to xorg's
      "nv" as original one didn't wake up after suspend)
      And Mandriva didn't find my modem correctly (it thougth I have SmartLink
      chip since I have HSF-modem) but with PowerPack all the problems was
      solved very fast.

      All other things work fine "out of the box", including Ether/WiFi,
      Video, Sound, Office docs (openoffice) and much more...

      ***And this distro has very user-friendly interface for many of settings
      everybody needs! but if You want more (and You'll need it, if You'll try
      any Linux!) You can improve any services manually ;-)

      I have no problems with this distro and like to think You'll haven't too =)

      PS: You can buy Mandriva Linux from their site or download via
      BitTorrent anyway, but I wish You have their _PowerPack_ edition as it
      has some additional drivers and trial versions of commercial software =)
    • Chad Sutton
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 5, 2007
        Awesome! Ubuntu is my favorite distro so far. I've found their website and forums to be great. I just moved all of our laptops at home to Ubuntu and I couldn't be more satisfied.

        Anna Leahy wrote:

        Thanks. I've decided to install Ubuntu tonight, mostly because their website is the most user-friendly of all the ones I looked at. We'll see how it goes.

        Aaron Luptak <bopApocalypse@ gmail.com> wrote:

        I would suggest getting a few LiveCD's of different distros and trying
        them out. Find the one that a) does everything you need it to and b)
        appeals to you visually, feels the most comfortable using it, etc.

        I don't know if there's a Fedora LiveCD, I would also suggest trying Ubuntu.

        If all else fails, I'd just go with Fedora, since your sister uses it.
        Then you have another resource to turn to (besides forums and
        mailinglists) when things aren't working the way you want.

        Good Luck!

        Do You Yahoo!?
        http://mail. yahoo.com

        --