RE: [linux-dell-laptops] I need a second opinion.

  • Daevid Vincent
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 5, 2007
      I use Gentoo on my Dell Inspiron 8200 notebook and have used it for about 2-3 years. I used to be a big RH8 guy. I hear great thinga about Ubuntu and many people I work with use it. I think you'll be happy with your decision.

      DÆVID

      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 5, 2007
        Sorry, I saw all the messages for this question, but as I haven't Fedora
        (RedHat 9 was the last I used from this branch) and I own Inspiron 8600C
        but not the 8100...

        And I would like to recommend You to try Mandriva 2007 as You prefer
        Linux and not MS only ;-)

        As for me, it works fine (since I had change video drivers (I have
        nVidia go5200 AFAIR) for graphical mode from proprietal nVidia to xorg's
        "nv" as original one didn't wake up after suspend)
        And Mandriva didn't find my modem correctly (it thougth I have SmartLink
        chip since I have HSF-modem) but with PowerPack all the problems was
        solved very fast.

        All other things work fine "out of the box", including Ether/WiFi,
        Video, Sound, Office docs (openoffice) and much more...

        ***And this distro has very user-friendly interface for many of settings
        everybody needs! but if You want more (and You'll need it, if You'll try
        any Linux!) You can improve any services manually ;-)

        I have no problems with this distro and like to think You'll haven't too =)

        PS: You can buy Mandriva Linux from their site or download via
        BitTorrent anyway, but I wish You have their _PowerPack_ edition as it
        has some additional drivers and trial versions of commercial software =)
      • Chad Sutton
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 5, 2007
          Awesome! Ubuntu is my favorite distro so far. I've found their website and forums to be great. I just moved all of our laptops at home to Ubuntu and I couldn't be more satisfied.

          --
          Later,
          Chad Sutton