Re: [linux-dell-laptops] HELP

  • HI JAS
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 20, 2006
      Dear John Milton,

      Actually I am trying to install open-office related packages and I don't remember the exact package name, so I wrote down **** (asterisk) marks. None of the packages are installed.

      Response awaited.

      Regards,
      Hitesh Jasuja.

      ----- Original Message ----
      From: ken <gebser@...>
      To: linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Thursday, 21 December, 2006 6:01:08 AM
      Subject: Re: [linux-dell-laptops] HELP

      I've run rpm a few thousand times and never got that error message. But
      then I've never used more than one consecutive asterisk (*). Try the
      command again with just one asterisk, see if you get the same error message.

      --
      "Peace hath her victories no less renown'd than war."
      --John Milton

      On 12/20/2006 09:21 AM somebody named HI JAS wrote:
      > Dear All,
      >
      > I have installed Fedora Core 5 on my machine.
      >
      > How do install star office as a package after installing Linux O.S.
      >
      > When I use
      >
      > rpm -i open-offi*** ********* ********* ********* ****.rpm
      >
      > It prompts me for the ***.so files. Please guide the way to proceed.
      >
      > Response awaited.
      >
      > Regards,
      > Hitesh Jasuja.
      >
      > Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger .yahoo.com

      > The all-new Yahoo! Mail
      > <http://us.rd. yahoo.com/ mail/uk/taglines /default/ nowyoucan/ free_from_ isp/*http: //us.rd.yahoo. com/evt=40565/ *http://uk. docs.yahoo. com/nowyoucan. html>
      > goes wherever you go - free your email address from your Internet
      > provider.

      Copy addresses and emails from any email account to Yahoo! Mail - quick, easy and free. Do it now...
    • HI JAS
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 20, 2006
        Dear,
        The machine on which the O.S. is installed in not connected on net.

        How do I download the dependencies and what dependencies are required ?

        Regards,
        Hitesh Jasuja.

        Shouldn't OpenOffice.org be FC5's yum repository? I don't use Fedora,
        but "yum install openoffice.org" or some equivalent, should download
        and install all the dependencies.
        Or is the machine you are installing on not connected to the net?

        --
        no .sig found
        Please restart your browser.

      • Chad Sutton

          --
          no .sig found
          Please restart your browser.

        • uteck
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 21, 2006
            Other then finding all the dependencies manually, if you can get to a
            FC5 machine that has apt-get configured, you can use apt-zip to grab
            everything. apt-zip is an add-on for apt-get, so you will have to
            install it with;
            apt-get install apt-zip
            then, apt-zip install openoffice.org2

            Or you can get a cdrom with OO.o at
            http://distribution.openoffice.org/cdrom/index.html#cdrom
            or grab the complete tarball at
            http://download.openoffice.org/index.html and run the install script.
            Since it is not an RPM, it will not show up as being installed with
            the rpm tools, but the program will work fine. This will also you get
            the latest version, 2.1 and not 2.0.4.