Re: [linux-dell-laptops] HELP

  • ken
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 20, 2006
      I've run rpm a few thousand times and never got that error message. But
      then I've never used more than one consecutive asterisk (*). Try the
      command again with just one asterisk, see if you get the same error message.

      --
      "Peace hath her victories no less renown'd than war."
      --John Milton

      On 12/20/2006 09:21 AM somebody named HI JAS wrote:
      > Dear All,
      >
      > I have installed Fedora Core 5 on my machine.
      >
      > How do install star office as a package after installing Linux O.S.
      >
      > When I use
      >
      > rpm -i open-offi**********************************.rpm
      >
      > It prompts me for the ***.so files. Please guide the way to proceed.
      >
      > Response awaited.
      >
      > Regards,
      > Hitesh Jasuja.

      > The all-new Yahoo! Mail
      > <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mail/uk/taglines/default/nowyoucan/free_from_isp/*http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=40565/*http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html>
      > goes wherever you go - free your email address from your Internet
      > provider.
    • uteck
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 20, 2006
        Shouldn't OpenOffice.org be FC5's yum repository? I don't use Fedora,
        but "yum install openoffice.org" or some equivalent, should download
        and install all the dependencies.
        Or is the machine you are installing on not connected to the net?

        --
        no .sig found
        Please restart your browser.
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 20, 2006

          Here, try this from a terminal window with root privledges:

          yum install openoffice.org-xsltfilter openoffice.org-writer openoffice.org-graphicfilter openoffice.org-core openoffice.org-draw openoffice.org-math openoffice.org-calc openoffice.org-javafilter openoffice.org-impress

          BTW:  Open Office (the open source version of Star Office) is on the install disks

          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 20, 2006
            Dear John Milton,

            Actually I am trying to install open-office related packages and I don't remember the exact package name, so I wrote down **** (asterisk) marks. None of the packages are installed.

            Response awaited.

            Regards,
            Hitesh Jasuja.

            I've run rpm a few thousand times and never got that error message. But
            then I've never used more than one consecutive asterisk (*). Try the
            command again with just one asterisk, see if you get the same error message.

            --
            "Peace hath her victories no less renown'd than war."
            --John Milton

            On 12/20/2006 09:21 AM somebody named HI JAS wrote:
            > Dear All,
            >
            > I have installed Fedora Core 5 on my machine.
            >
            > How do install star office as a package after installing Linux O.S.
            >
            > When I use
            >
            > rpm -i open-offi*** ********* ********* ********* ****.rpm
            >
            > It prompts me for the ***.so files. Please guide the way to proceed.
            >
            > Response awaited.
            >
            > Regards,
            > Hitesh Jasuja.
            >
            > Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger .yahoo.com

            > The all-new Yahoo! Mail
            > <http://us.rd. yahoo.com/ mail/uk/taglines /default/ nowyoucan/ free_from_ isp/*http: //us.rd.yahoo. com/evt=40565/ *http://uk. docs.yahoo. com/nowyoucan. html>
            > goes wherever you go - free your email address from your Internet
            > provider.

            Copy addresses and emails from any email account to Yahoo! Mail - quick, easy and free. Do it now...
          • HI JAS
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 20, 2006
              Dear,
              The machine on which the O.S. is installed in not connected on net.

              How do I download the dependencies and what dependencies are required ?

              Regards,
              Hitesh Jasuja.

              --
              no .sig found
              Please restart your browser.

            • Chad Sutton

                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 21, 2006
                  Other then finding all the dependencies manually, if you can get to a
                  FC5 machine that has apt-get configured, you can use apt-zip to grab
                  everything. apt-zip is an add-on for apt-get, so you will have to
                  install it with;
                  apt-get install apt-zip
                  then, apt-zip install openoffice.org2

                  Or you can get a cdrom with OO.o at
                  http://distribution.openoffice.org/cdrom/index.html#cdrom
                  or grab the complete tarball at
                  http://download.openoffice.org/index.html and run the install script.
                  Since it is not an RPM, it will not show up as being installed with
                  the rpm tools, but the program will work fine. This will also you get
                  the latest version, 2.1 and not 2.0.4.