HELP

  • HI JAS
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 20, 2006
      Dear All,

      I have installed Fedora Core 5 on my machine.

      How do install star office as a package after installing Linux O.S.

      When I use

      rpm -i open-offi**********************************.rpm

      It prompts me for the ***.so files. Please guide the way to proceed.

      Response awaited.

      Regards,
      Hitesh Jasuja.

    • ken
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 20, 2006
        I've run rpm a few thousand times and never got that error message. But
        then I've never used more than one consecutive asterisk (*). Try the
        command again with just one asterisk, see if you get the same error message.

        --
        "Peace hath her victories no less renown'd than war."
        --John Milton

        On 12/20/2006 09:21 AM somebody named HI JAS wrote:
        > Dear All,
        >
        > I have installed Fedora Core 5 on my machine.
        >
        > How do install star office as a package after installing Linux O.S.
        >
        > When I use
        >
        > rpm -i open-offi**********************************.rpm
        >
        > It prompts me for the ***.so files. Please guide the way to proceed.
        >
        > Response awaited.
        >
        > Regards,
        > Hitesh Jasuja.

        > The all-new Yahoo! Mail
        > <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mail/uk/taglines/default/nowyoucan/free_from_isp/*http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=40565/*http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html>
        > goes wherever you go - free your email address from your Internet
        > provider.
      • uteck
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 20, 2006
          Shouldn't OpenOffice.org be FC5's yum repository? I don't use Fedora,
          but "yum install openoffice.org" or some equivalent, should download
          and install all the dependencies.
          Or is the machine you are installing on not connected to the net?

          --
          no .sig found
          Please restart your browser.
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 20, 2006

            Here, try this from a terminal window with root privledges:

            yum install openoffice.org-xsltfilter openoffice.org-writer openoffice.org-graphicfilter openoffice.org-core openoffice.org-draw openoffice.org-math openoffice.org-calc openoffice.org-javafilter openoffice.org-impress

            BTW:  Open Office (the open source version of Star Office) is on the install disks

            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 20, 2006
              Dear John Milton,

              Actually I am trying to install open-office related packages and I don't remember the exact package name, so I wrote down **** (asterisk) marks. None of the packages are installed.

              Response awaited.

              Regards,
              Hitesh Jasuja.

              I've run rpm a few thousand times and never got that error message. But
              then I've never used more than one consecutive asterisk (*). Try the
              command again with just one asterisk, see if you get the same error message.

              --
              "Peace hath her victories no less renown'd than war."
              --John Milton

              On 12/20/2006 09:21 AM somebody named HI JAS wrote:
              > Dear All,
              >
              > I have installed Fedora Core 5 on my machine.
              >
              > How do install star office as a package after installing Linux O.S.
              >
              > When I use
              >
              > rpm -i open-offi*** ********* ********* ********* ****.rpm
              >
              > It prompts me for the ***.so files. Please guide the way to proceed.
              >
              > Response awaited.
              >
              > Regards,
              > Hitesh Jasuja.
              >
              > Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger .yahoo.com

              > The all-new Yahoo! Mail
              > <http://us.rd. yahoo.com/ mail/uk/taglines /default/ nowyoucan/ free_from_ isp/*http: //us.rd.yahoo. com/evt=40565/ *http://uk. docs.yahoo. com/nowyoucan. html>
              > goes wherever you go - free your email address from your Internet
              > provider.

              Copy addresses and emails from any email account to Yahoo! Mail - quick, easy and free. Do it now...
            • HI JAS
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 20, 2006
                Dear,
                The machine on which the O.S. is installed in not connected on net.

                How do I download the dependencies and what dependencies are required ?

                Regards,
                Hitesh Jasuja.

                --
                no .sig found
                Please restart your browser.

              • Chad Sutton

                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 21, 2006
                    Other then finding all the dependencies manually, if you can get to a
                    FC5 machine that has apt-get configured, you can use apt-zip to grab
                    everything. apt-zip is an add-on for apt-get, so you will have to
                    install it with;
                    apt-get install apt-zip
                    then, apt-zip install openoffice.org2

                    Or you can get a cdrom with OO.o at
                    http://distribution.openoffice.org/cdrom/index.html#cdrom
                    or grab the complete tarball at
                    http://download.openoffice.org/index.html and run the install script.
                    Since it is not an RPM, it will not show up as being installed with
                    the rpm tools, but the program will work fine. This will also you get
                    the latest version, 2.1 and not 2.0.4.