Need to install linux on XPS 140

  • A. A. Faslur Rahman
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 11, 2006
      Hi folks,      I would like to install linux in my XPS140. I also want my windows XP   to be reside in the same disk. Is it possible to have such setup.
      I would also be interested in knowing the hard drive partitioning information.
      Thanks in advance.      -Faslur

    • uteck
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 11, 2006
        Make sure you defrag the XP partition first, then just about any
        modern disto will be able to resize the XP partition. Ubuntu,
        Fedora, or Suse all will allow you to resize before you install, or
        you can download gparted from http://gparted.sourceforge.net/ which
        will only resize and parttion the disk.
        After you make room for Linux, which depends on the space you have on
        the disk, but no less then 4GB, just select the defaults the installer
        uses.

        --
        no .sig found
        Please restart your browser.
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 16, 2006
          --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "A. A. Faslur Rahman"
          <faslurrahman@...> wrote:

          > Hi folks, I would like to install linux in my XPS140. I also want my
          windows XP to be reside in the same disk. Is it possible to have such
          setup.

          > I would also be interested in knowing the hard drive partitioning
          information.

          > Thanks in advance. -Faslur
          >

          > ---------------------------------
          > Have a burning question? Go to Yahoo! Answers and get answers from
          real people who know.

          Faslur, Linux will comfortably reside on the same hard drive that
          Windows resides on providing you have enough hard drive space for both
          OS's to comfortably function. Prior to installation of another OS on
          your hard drive you should run defragmentation program. During the
          Linux installation, if enough space is available, Disk Druid will
          permit you to install Linux partitions that will not interfere with
          the Windows partition(s). Following installation, Linux will ask if
          you want to install a boot loader so you can start either Windows or
          Linux from a fresh startup.

          Terry