Re: Latitude CP M233ST and ALSA sound

  • John Tetreault
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 7, 2006
      Okay... I recompiled my kernel, and I think I've made some progress...
      here's what I've accomplished so far.

      lspnp -v shows my sound card as

      0f CSC0000 Crystal PnP audio system CODEC
      io disabled
      io disabled
      io disabled
      irq disabled
      dma disabled
      dma disabled

      10 CSC0010 Crystal PnP audio system control registers
      io 0x0210-0x0217

      so after setpnp 0f on it changes to:

      0f CSC0000 Crystal PnP audio system CODEC
      io 0x0530-0x0537
      io 0x0388-0x038b
      io 0x0220-0x022f
      irq 5
      dma 1
      dma 0

      10 CSC0010 Crystal PnP audio system control registers
      io 0x0210-0x0217

      Okay, so far so good.... so I run alsaconf
      and it detects the cs-4232 right away without probing legacy
      hardware.... great...... not.... when it tries to set the mixer, it
      comes up with.

      Running update-modules...
      /usr/sbin/alsaconf: line 915: /etc/init.d/alsa: No such file or directory
      Setting default volumes...

      I think the problem here is, I've got /etc/init.d/alsasound not
      /etc/init.d/alsa So I created a symbolic link to fix that problem

      run speaker-test and I do have sound..... wonderful.

      So I reboot..... NOTHING.

      So my question is.... how do I make setpnp 0f on before alsa tries to
      load..... man setpnp doesn't give any indication

      --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Alexander Toresson"
      <alexander.toresson@...> wrote:

      > On 11/21/06, John Tetreault <blkthorn30@...> wrote:
      > > Okay, so this machine is an antique, but in hopes of getting a few
      > > more years of use out of it, I have successfully installed the
      > > Xubuntu distro, and have been quite pleased with the results so far.
      > >
      > > The only problem I´m having is getting sound to work.
      > >
      > > According to the BIOS screen, this laptop uses the CS-4237B chipset.
      > > ALSA supposedly supports it, but how to get it to work. From my
      > > research on the subject, it seems there are two flavors of this
      > > chipset, a pnp version, and a non-pnp version.... I´m guessing I´ve
      > > got the non-pnp version.
      > >
      > > This is my first attempt at installing a linux distro on any machine,
      > > so I am still learning here, so please, if you´re able to offer
      > > assistance, be very specific.
      > >

      > Hello,
      >
      > The following page might help you: http://eulex.0nyx.com/cs4237b.html .
      >
      > If you've got any question on how to do anything described on that
      > page, just ask.
      >
      > Regards, Alexander Toresson

    • Alexander Toresson
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 7, 2006
        The documents in /usr/share/doc/pnpbios-tools should tell you how.

      • brian
        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 7, 2006
          John --

          If you check the bug track at ALSA, you'll see I had similar issues
          with this exact sound chip on my Dell Inspiron 3200. The sound chip is
          not properly detected most of the time (with or without PnP enabled),
          and when I "force" the proper module to load, it won't connect correctly
          to the ports as specified in the BIOS. I filed three or four bug
          reports, but that was probably a year or so ago...

          I ended up installing DSL on the machine instead of Fedora Core. DSL
          is based on a 2.4.x kernel, and the CS4232 driver in ALSA runs the chip
          just fine. As far as I've been able to test, the CS4237B driver for
          ALSA has never worked properly (at least not on my laptop). If you
          don't mind running a 2.4 kernel, you might give that option a try -- I
          did have to write a small script (based on a post I found while
          searching Google for a solution) to unload and then reload the drivers
          after I boot up the machine... I just added the necessary lines to my
          user login script, and have had sound working ever since.