Dell Inspiron 1501 having trouble installing Redhat Linux

  • Bala
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 5, 2006
      Redhat Linux Enterprise Server 4.4 on Inspiron 1501 with AMD Turian
      64 dual core 1.6 GHZ + 1GB RAM + 80 GB Fujistu HDD

      Just got my first brand new dream "Dell" Laptop with "AMD" to work
      with "Linux" Server. Its under 30 days and seems I should return it
      unless I get this fixed.

      I am unable to install Redhat Linux Enterprise Server 4.4 as a dual
      to the existing. The hardware is more than powerful enough to get it
      running. The issue is that it is not able to detect the hard drive.

      The message I receive is:
      "No hard drives have been found. You probably need to manually
      choose device drivers for the installation to succeed. Would you
      like to select drivers now?"

      I selected a couple of SATA drivers from the list but no go.

      When I proceed towards the installation to perform partition, I get
      the message "An error has occurred - no valid devices were found on
      which to create new file systems. Please check your hardware for the
      cause of this problem."

      I am sure that the hardware has no problems. It just needs the right
      driver or some enhancement in the bios options.
      The bios options available are very limited to change any settings
      in there.

      Please suggest.
    • alejovarona
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 21, 2006
        Looks like passing the following parameter to the kernel at boot time
        does the trick:
        pci=nomsi