Latitude D505 and Debian etch/testing won't resume from supend to ram

  • Olivier Berger
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 27, 2006
      Hi.

      I've got a Latitude D505 with Debian etch and 2.6.17-2-686 kernel, and
      BIOS A11.

      It suspends but won't resume : the power led is back on, the drive
      seems to be restarted, but then nothing.

      The machine becomes totally unresponsive, and only way to stop it is 5
      seconds pressing on the power button.

      Anyone with better luck ?

      Thanks in advance.

      Best regards,
      --
      Olivier BERGER (OpenPGP: 1024D/B4C5F37F)
      APRIL (http://www.april.org) - Vive python (http://www.python.org)
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 27, 2006
        Hi.

        Responding to myself ;)

        FYI, this problem seems to be solved by the 2.6.18-2-686 kernel rom
        unstable.

        However, there seems to be a problem when in console mode for
        refreshing the display.

        Hope this helps.

        Best regards,

        Olivier Berger <oberger@...> writes:

        > Hi.
        >
        > I've got a Latitude D505 with Debian etch and 2.6.17-2-686 kernel, and
        > BIOS A11.
        >
        > It suspends but won't resume : the power led is back on, the drive
        > seems to be restarted, but then nothing.
        >
        > The machine becomes totally unresponsive, and only way to stop it is 5
        > seconds pressing on the power button.
        >
        > Anyone with better luck ?
        >
        > Thanks in advance.
        >
        > Best regards,
        > --
        > Olivier BERGER (OpenPGP: 1024D/B4C5F37F)
        > APRIL (http://www.april.org) - Vive python (http://www.python.org)
        > Pétition contre les brevets logiciels : http://petition.eurolinux.org

        --
        Olivier BERGER (OpenPGP: 1024D/B4C5F37F)
        APRIL (http://www.april.org) - Vive python (http://www.python.org)
        Pétition contre les brevets logiciels : http://petition.eurolinux.org
      • David Rumptz
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 27, 2006
          Oliver:

          Though I hate to say it you might try a switch over to Ubuntu. I hate to say it as Ubuntu has some real quirks to it that I did not get in Debian, namely the GPN (?) key and SUDO. Both are measures to make sure you know what you are dong to your system. But the Libertarian in me says why chose Linux if someone is going got hold my hand. Also these issues can cause problems like when you try to add repos. to your sources list. It can be a real challenge. I know that  Cononical (makers of Ubuntu) does it to protect from Mal-Ware but I had never had a problem with it before.

          Besides that Debian is great but it is made to be ultra stable- read for older machines. By the time the really cool things get into stable they are out on other Debian based distros.

          Hope it helps.

          Rumptz

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 28, 2006
            David Rumptz <rumptz_sh8kr@...> writes:

            > Oliver:
            >
            > Though I hate to say it you might try a switch over to Ubuntu.

            SNIP

            > Besides that Debian is great but it is made to be ultra stable- read for older machines. By the time the really cool things get into stable they are out on other Debian based distros.
            >
            > Hope it helps.

            Not really...

            I'm glad to see that you're happy with your Ubuntu... but I'd
            preferred to have some feedback a bit more on-topic :(

            Regards,