Latitude CP M233ST and ALSA sound

  • John Tetreault
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 21, 2006
      Okay, so this machine is an antique, but in hopes of getting a few
      more years of use out of it, I have successfully installed the
      Xubuntu distro, and have been quite pleased with the results so far.

      The only problem I´m having is getting sound to work.

      According to the BIOS screen, this laptop uses the CS-4237B chipset.
      ALSA supposedly supports it, but how to get it to work. From my
      research on the subject, it seems there are two flavors of this
      chipset, a pnp version, and a non-pnp version.... I´m guessing I´ve
      got the non-pnp version.

      This is my first attempt at installing a linux distro on any machine,
      so I am still learning here, so please, if you´re able to offer
      assistance, be very specific.
    • Alexander Toresson
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 21, 2006
        On 11/21/06, John Tetreault <blkthorn30@...> wrote:
        > Okay, so this machine is an antique, but in hopes of getting a few
        > more years of use out of it, I have successfully installed the
        > Xubuntu distro, and have been quite pleased with the results so far.
        >
        > The only problem I´m having is getting sound to work.
        >
        > According to the BIOS screen, this laptop uses the CS-4237B chipset.
        > ALSA supposedly supports it, but how to get it to work. From my
        > research on the subject, it seems there are two flavors of this
        > chipset, a pnp version, and a non-pnp version.... I´m guessing I´ve
        > got the non-pnp version.
        >
        > This is my first attempt at installing a linux distro on any machine,
        > so I am still learning here, so please, if you´re able to offer
        > assistance, be very specific.

        Hello,

        The following page might help you: http://eulex.0nyx.com/cs4237b.html .

        If you've got any question on how to do anything described on that
        page, just ask.

        Regards, Alexander Toresson
      • John Tetreault
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 21, 2006
          Thank you Alexander, I had just found that page when I got your email.  It looks simple enough, but when I type setpnp 0f on I get

          lspnp: /proc/bus/pnp not available

          So any suggestions on where I go from here?

          > Okay, so this machine is an antique, but in hopes of getting a few
          > more years of use out of it, I have successfully installed the
          > Xubuntu distro, and have been quite pleased with the results so far.
          >
          > The only problem I´m having is getting sound to work.
          >
          > According to the BIOS screen, this laptop uses the CS-4237B chipset.
          > ALSA supposedly supports it, but how to get it to work. From my
          > research on the subject, it seems there are two flavors of this
          > chipset, a pnp version, and a non-pnp version.... I´m guessing I´ve
          > got the non-pnp version.
          >
          > This is my first attempt at installing a linux distro on any machine,
          > so I am still learning here, so please, if you´re able to offer
          > assistance, be very specific.

          Hello,

          The following page might help you: http://eulex. 0nyx.com/ cs4237b.html .

          If you've got any question on how to do anything described on that
          page, just ask.

          Regards, Alexander Toresson

          Sponsored Link

        • Alexander Toresson
          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 21, 2006
            You might try to just run alsaconf and see if it detects your card.
            What had happened on my and another user's laptop was that the irqs of the card were disabled. And alsa didn't try turning them on. That's what setpnp 0f on would do.
            You should be able to see whether they're turned off or not with lspci -v.
            Oh, and btw, what kernel is this?

            On 11/21/06, John Tetreault < blkthorn30@...> wrote:
            Thank you Alexander, I had just found that page when I got your email.  It looks simple enough, but when I type setpnp 0f on I get

            lspnp: /proc/bus/pnp not available

            So any suggestions on where I go from here?

            > Okay, so this machine is an antique, but in hopes of getting a few
            > more years of use out of it, I have successfully installed the
            > Xubuntu distro, and have been quite pleased with the results so far.
            >
            > The only problem I´m having is getting sound to work.
            >
            > According to the BIOS screen, this laptop uses the CS-4237B chipset.
            > ALSA supposedly supports it, but how to get it to work. From my
            > research on the subject, it seems there are two flavors of this
            > chipset, a pnp version, and a non-pnp version.... I´m guessing I´ve
            > got the non-pnp version.
            >
            > This is my first attempt at installing a linux distro on any machine,
            > so I am still learning here, so please, if you´re able to offer
            > assistance, be very specific.

            Hello,

            The following page might help you: http://eulex. 0nyx.com/ cs4237b.html .

            If you've got any question on how to do anything described on that
            page, just ask.

            Regards, Alexander Toresson

            Sponsored Link

          • uteck
            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 21, 2006
              The last few versions of Ubuntu and Debian do not include alsaconf
              anymore. Other tools are supposed to have replace it, but they suck.
              I ended up just putting in an extra soundcard I had and then Ubuntu
              Dapper saw it, but it would not detect the on-board of the new mobo I
              installed.

              --
              no .sig found
              Please restart your browser.
              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 21, 2006
                On 11/21/06, uteck <theuteck@...> wrote:
                > The last few versions of Ubuntu and Debian do not include alsaconf
                > anymore. Other tools are supposed to have replace it, but they suck.
                > I ended up just putting in an extra soundcard I had and then Ubuntu
                > Dapper saw it, but it would not detect the on-board of the new mobo I
                > installed.

                Not true for debian; unstable still has alsaconf. Seems to be true for
                ubuntu, though.

                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 21, 2006
                  Im guessing the card not being turned on is exactly the problem.  I tried alsaconf and told it to probe legacy cards as well, it doesn find the sound card.  I know the sound card is working, as it was working fine under Windows before I formatted and installed Linux last week.  setpnp doesnt seem to work,  lspci -v gives me the following:

                  Im running Xubuntu linux which is based on the Ubuntu Edgy 6.10 distro, I think the kernel version is 2.6.17-10

                  00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 430TX - 82439TX MTXC (rev 01)
                  Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32

                  00:01.0 Bridge: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 ISA (rev 01)
                  Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0

                  00:01.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 IDE (rev 01) (prog-if 80 [Master])
                  Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64
                  I/O ports at 0860 [size=16]

                  00:01.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 USB (rev 01) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
                  I/O ports at ece0 [size=32]

                  00:01.3 Bridge: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 ACPI (rev 01)
                  Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 9

                  00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Neomagic Corporation NM2160 [MagicGraph 128XD] (prog-if 00 [VGA])
                  Subsystem: Dell MagicGraph 128XD
                  Memory at fd000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=16M]
                  Memory at fce00000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=2M]
                  Memory at fcd00000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=1M]

                  00:03.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI1131 (rev 01)
                  Subsystem: Dell Unknown device 0075
                  Memory at 18000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
                  Bus: primary=00, secondary=01, subordinate=04, sec-latency=176
                  Memory window 0: 10000000-11fff000 (prefetchable)
                  Memory window 1: 12000000-13fff000
                  I/O window 0: 00001000-000010ff
                  I/O window 1: 00001400-000014ff
                  16-bit legacy interface ports at 0001

                  00:03.1 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI1131 (rev 01)
                  Subsystem: Dell Unknown device 0075
                  Memory at 18001000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
                  Bus: primary=00, secondary=05, subordinate=08, sec-latency=176
                  Memory window 0: 14000000-15fff000 (prefetchable)
                  Memory window 1: 16000000-17fff000
                  I/O window 0: 00001800-000018ff
                  I/O window 1: 00001c00-00001cff
                  16-bit legacy interface ports at 0001

                  05:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications, Inc. AR5212 802.11abg NIC (rev 01)
                  Subsystem: Standard Microsystems Corp [SMC] Unknown device 2336
                  Memory at 16000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]

                  > Okay, so this machine is an antique, but in hopes of getting a few
                  > more years of use out of it, I have successfully installed the
                  > Xubuntu distro, and have been quite pleased with the results so far.
                  >
                  > The only problem I´m having is getting sound to work.
                  >
                  > According to the BIOS screen, this laptop uses the CS-4237B chipset.
                  > ALSA supposedly supports it, but how to get it to work. From my
                  > research on the subject, it seems there are two flavors of this
                  > chipset, a pnp version, and a non-pnp version.... I´m guessing I´ve
                  > got the non-pnp version.
                  >
                  > This is my first attempt at installing a linux distro on any machine,
                  > so I am still learning here, so please, if you´re able to offer
                  > assistance, be very specific.

                  Hello,

                  The following page might help you: http://eulex. 0nyx.com/ cs4237b.html .

                  If you've got any question on how to do anything described on that
                  page, just ask.

                  Regards, Alexander Toresson

                  Sponsored Link

                  Sponsored Link

                  $200,000 mortgage for $660/mo - 30/15 yr fixed, reduce debt, home equity - Click now for info
                • John Tetreault
                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 21, 2006
                    yeah, I discovered that, so I downloaded and Installed ALSA from scratch so that Id have alsaconf but still no luck.

                    On 11/21/06, Alexander Toresson <alexander.toresson@ gmail.com> wrote:
                    > You might try to just run alsaconf and see if it detects your card.
                    > What had happened on my and another user's laptop was that the irqs of the
                    > card were disabled. And alsa didn't try turning them on. That's what setpnp
                    > 0f on would do.
                    > You should be able to see whether they're turned off or not with lspci -v.
                    > Oh, and btw, what kernel is this?
                    >
                    > On 11/21/06, John Tetreault <blkthorn30@yahoo. com> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Thank you Alexander, I had just found that page when I got your email. It
                    > > looks simple enough, but when I type setpnp 0f on I get
                    > >
                    > > lspnp: /proc/bus/pnp not available
                    > >
                    > > So any suggestions on where I go from here?

                    Get an Online or Campus degree - Associate's, Bachelor's, or Master's -in less than one year.
                  • David Rumptz
                    Message 9 of 17 , Nov 22, 2006
                      I had the same problem with Ubuntu the first time i ran dapper but later on my Intel sound card was seen no problem.

                      But back in July when I started on this latop adn ALSA was not working I had to recompile the kernel with full ALSA aupport. I did not go the make install route. ANyway it worked out fine. And it was not too hard to do

                      Rumptz

                      Message 10 of 17 , Nov 25, 2006
                        hm... While I consider myself to be more than competent with a computer, I'm still a linux noob, so I'm not sure how comfortable I'd be recompiling my kernel just yet.  I suppose if I had step by step, impossible to screw it up directions, I'd consider it, but otherwise its a bit of a daunting prospect.

                        David Rumptz <rumptz_sh8kr@...> wrote:
                        I had the same problem with Ubuntu the first time i ran dapper but later on my Intel sound card was seen no problem.

                        But back in July when I started on this latop adn ALSA was not working I had to recompile the kernel with full ALSA aupport. I did not go the make install route. ANyway it worked out fine. And it was not too hard to do

                        Rumptz

                        yeah, I discovered that, so I downloaded  and Installed ALSA  from scratch  so that Id have  alsaconf but  still no luck.

                        The last few versions of Ubuntu and Debian do not include alsaconf
                        anymore. Other tools are supposed to have replace it, but they suck.
                        I ended up just putting in an extra soundcard I had and then Ubuntu
                        Dapper saw it, but it would not detect the on-board of the new mobo I
                        installed.

                        On 11/21/06, Alexander Toresson <alexander.toresson@ gmail.com> wrote:
                        > You might try to just run alsaconf and see if it detects your card.
                        > What had happened on my and another user's laptop was that the irqs of the
                        > card were disabled. And alsa didn't try turning them on. That's what setpnp
                        > 0f on would do.
                        > You should be able to see whether they're turned off or not with lspci -v.
                        > Oh, and btw, what kernel is this?
                        >
                        > On 11/21/06, John Tetreault <blkthorn30@yahoo. com> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Thank you Alexander, I had just found that page when I got your email. It
                        > > looks simple enough, but when I type setpnp 0f on I get
                        > >
                        > > lspnp: /proc/bus/pnp not available
                        > >
                        > > So any suggestions on where I go from here?

                      • Douglas S. Oliver

                          John Tetreault wrote:
                          > hm... While I consider myself to be more than competent with a computer, I'm still a linux noob, so I'm not sure how comfortable I'd be recompiling my kernel just yet. I suppose if I had step by step, impossible to screw it up directions, I'd consider it, but otherwise its a bit of a daunting prospect.
                          >
                          > David Rumptz <rumptz_sh8kr@...> wrote: I had the same problem with Ubuntu the first time i ran dapper but later on my Intel sound card was seen no problem.
                          >
                          > But back in July when I started on this latop adn ALSA was not working I had to recompile the kernel with full ALSA aupport. I did not go the make install route. ANyway it worked out fine. And it was not too hard to do
                          >
                          > Rumptz

                          Actually,John, recompiling the kernel is pretty straight forward. You
                          can back out at any time until you actually load the kernel. This is
                          actually where you'd need to be careful. I think the most important
                          thing here is to have a backup of your working kernel and to make sure
                          your bootloader (lilo or Grub) knows how to find it. It's also a good
                          idea to have an alternative boot option such as a floppy or a CD so you
                          can get to your system if something does go terribly wrong.

                          I personally use Slackware. I recently upgraded to a new kernel, 2.6.18.
                          I did use the make install option, and it worked fine; however, I found
                          that suddenly I use fetchmail or cups for example. I could get email
                          with thunderbird and browse with firefox. Frustrated, I recompiled the
                          kernel to fine tune it a little. Hmm, the problems persisted. I checked
                          logs, looked at my filesystem, banged my head against the wall. I
                          decided to start cleaning up my system from all of the old files that I
                          had been holding onto. When I went to /etc/rc.d/ to clean up unused old
                          system files, I discovered that after removing my rc.modules-2.6.17
                          file, the soft link "modules" turned red. AhHa! I removed that modules
                          file and created a new one pointing to the rc.modules-2.6.18 file. I
                          rebooted, and everything works fine again.

                          So why have I taken this detour? Compiling the kernel is easy, what you
                          might need to do before and after could be potentially troubling. Recent
                          kernels rely heavily on modules and should have auto module loading
                          built in. (That's an option.) If modules aren't automatically loaded,
                          you need to use modprobe to find and load the correct module. Modules
                          usually need to be compiled for the kernel you want to use them with.
                          Often a perfectly good module won't work after compiling a new kernel of
                          a different number, like my 2.6.17 and 2.6.18 example above.

                          If you have kernel sources installed, you could try going to
                          /usr/src/linux-2.(your kernel number) and installing your modules:

                          make modules_install <enter>

                          The 2.6 kernels do a "make modules" during the compile process, but I'm
                          not sure about the make modules_install. It doesn't hurt to do it again.
                          By the way, modules are usually kept in /lib/modules/<kernel number>/.
                          You can poke around there to familiarize yourself with what you have.
                          And one more thing, I think the "make install" option only works if
                          you're using lilo. It moves the old vmlinuz kernel to /boot/vmlinuz.old
                          and then copies/usr/src/linux-(kernel#)/arch/i386/boot/bzImage file to
                          /boot/vmlinuz. It makes appropriate changes to your lilo.conf file, and
                          finally runs lilo, so you can reboot and go. If you're using grub, check
                          your /boot/grub/grub.conf file (I think that's it.).

                          Best of luck getting Alsa working. --Douglas
                          - --

                          ******

                          Douglas S. Oliver

                          "....What right do I have to think?" --Ugarte, December 1941

                          ******
                        • David Rumptz
                          Message 12 of 17 , Nov 25, 2006
                            John:

                            You would be surprised how easy it is. I am by far not a computer guru sure an addict, but not a guru.

                            Actually the latest kernel usually has all the correct default values. So compiling it correctly depends on your actually gear. This is where doing the research of what you have matters. I was surprised how hard this can be on a laptop. I am used to taking desktops apart and visually inspecting and then writing things down but with a laptop I am less confident especially as it is still under warranty.

                            But once you know your gear you can set the kernel to those preferences. I use menu config and it is nice but I wish I could use X config for the kernel that makes it even easier.

                            And even if you mess up the kernel you can still use your old kernel or do a fresh install.

                            Rumptz

                            ----- Originwould be surprised how easy it isal Message ----

                            yeah, I discovered that, so I downloaded  and Installed ALSA  from scratch  so that Id have  alsaconf but  still no luck.

                            The last few versions of Ubuntu and Debian do not include alsaconf
                            anymore. Other tools are supposed to have replace it, but they suck.
                            I ended up just putting in an extra soundcard I had and then Ubuntu
                            Dapper saw it, but it would not detect the on-board of the new mobo I
                            installed.

                            On 11/21/06, Alexander Toresson <alexander.toresson@ gmail.com> wrote:
                            > You might try to just run alsaconf and see if it detects your card.
                            > What had happened on my and another user's laptop was that the irqs of the
                            > card were disabled. And alsa didn't try turning them on. That's what setpnp
                            > 0f on would do.
                            > You should be able to see whether they're turned off or not with lspci -v.
                            > Oh, and btw, what kernel is this?
                            >
                            > On 11/21/06, John Tetreault <blkthorn30@yahoo. com> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Thank you Alexander, I had just found that page when I got your email. It
                            > > looks simple enough, but when I type setpnp 0f on I get
                            > >
                            > > lspnp: /proc/bus/pnp not available
                            > >
                            > > So any suggestions on where I go from here?

                          • Herman
                            Message 13 of 17 , Nov 25, 2006
                            • Alexander Toresson
                              Message 14 of 17 , Nov 26, 2006
                                On 11/23/06, David Rumptz <rumptz_sh8kr@...> wrote:

                                > I had the same problem with Ubuntu the first time i ran dapper but later on my Intel sound card was seen no problem.
                                >
                                > But back in July when I started on this latop adn ALSA was not working I had to recompile the kernel with full ALSA aupport. I did not go the make install route. ANyway it worked out fine. And it was not too hard to do
                                >
                                > Rumptz

                                I would be really surprised if this would solve the problem, given
                                that this card works with a plain old 2.6.8 kernel. At least, I
                                wouldn't recompile until I know that there actually _is_ something
                                missing from my current kernel.

                                And, to John: have you tried modprobing the cs4232 and snd-cs4232
                                modules manually? You might need to specify io ports, dma channel etc
                                manually. If so, here are the parameters from my cpi d300xt:

                                Dma channel: 1
                                Irq: 5
                                Control io port: 0x0530
                                io port: 0x0220 (this one might not be needed for the cs4232 module)

                                The card also has an opl3 fm chip at 0x0388.

                                Message 15 of 17 , Dec 7, 2006
                                  Okay... I recompiled my kernel, and I think I've made some progress...
                                  here's what I've accomplished so far.

                                  lspnp -v shows my sound card as

                                  0f CSC0000 Crystal PnP audio system CODEC
                                  io disabled
                                  io disabled
                                  io disabled
                                  irq disabled
                                  dma disabled
                                  dma disabled

                                  10 CSC0010 Crystal PnP audio system control registers
                                  io 0x0210-0x0217

                                  so after setpnp 0f on it changes to:

                                  0f CSC0000 Crystal PnP audio system CODEC
                                  io 0x0530-0x0537
                                  io 0x0388-0x038b
                                  io 0x0220-0x022f
                                  irq 5
                                  dma 1
                                  dma 0

                                  10 CSC0010 Crystal PnP audio system control registers
                                  io 0x0210-0x0217

                                  Okay, so far so good.... so I run alsaconf
                                  and it detects the cs-4232 right away without probing legacy
                                  hardware.... great...... not.... when it tries to set the mixer, it
                                  comes up with.

                                  Running update-modules...
                                  /usr/sbin/alsaconf: line 915: /etc/init.d/alsa: No such file or directory
                                  Setting default volumes...

                                  I think the problem here is, I've got /etc/init.d/alsasound not
                                  /etc/init.d/alsa So I created a symbolic link to fix that problem

                                  run speaker-test and I do have sound..... wonderful.

                                  So I reboot..... NOTHING.

                                  So my question is.... how do I make setpnp 0f on before alsa tries to
                                  load..... man setpnp doesn't give any indication

                                  --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Alexander Toresson"

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Dec 7, 2006
                                    The documents in /usr/share/doc/pnpbios-tools should tell you how.

                                  • brian
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Dec 7, 2006
                                      John --

                                      If you check the bug track at ALSA, you'll see I had similar issues
                                      with this exact sound chip on my Dell Inspiron 3200. The sound chip is
                                      not properly detected most of the time (with or without PnP enabled),
                                      and when I "force" the proper module to load, it won't connect correctly
                                      to the ports as specified in the BIOS. I filed three or four bug
                                      reports, but that was probably a year or so ago...

                                      I ended up installing DSL on the machine instead of Fedora Core. DSL
                                      is based on a 2.4.x kernel, and the CS4232 driver in ALSA runs the chip
                                      just fine. As far as I've been able to test, the CS4237B driver for
                                      ALSA has never worked properly (at least not on my laptop). If you
                                      don't mind running a 2.4 kernel, you might give that option a try -- I
                                      did have to write a small script (based on a post I found while
                                      searching Google for a solution) to unload and then reload the drivers
                                      after I boot up the machine... I just added the necessary lines to my
                                      user login script, and have had sound working ever since.