Re: Problems with FC6 on Inspiron 8000

  • Cris Rhea
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 17, 2006
      > Posted by: "Jim Diamond" zsd@... ndolam
      > Date: Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:07 pm ((PST))
      >
      > Cris,
      >
      > for what it's worth
      >
      > (1) I've had many versions of Slackware easily installed onto my (now
      > venerable) I8000, so it is certainly possible to run Linux
      > I used to have 128, but I found a free 64MB memory chip lying
      > around, so I am now at the lofty 192MB level. But it ran fine
      > (with X windows) with 128MB, so that shouldn't be an issue, unless
      > the FC6 installer itself is remarkably bloated.
      >
      > (2) "...high praise I've seen for FC6 on the Fedora forums"
      > I'll bet if you go to some M$ forums you'll see people there
      > singing praises to M$. And many people think that is rather
      > absurd :-)
      >
      > If you are not tied to FC, you might try another distro.
      >
      > Sorry I can't offer any concrete advice, I've never used any Red Hat
      > anything.
      >
      > If you have a non-FC6 question about the I8K post it back and maybe I
      > can help.
      >
      > Jim

      Thanks Jim-

      I've made some progress...

      I think your first comment about a bloated installer was right on. I upgraded the
      memory to 512MB and it installed (in text mode) just fine. The graphical install
      still fails because the X11 config is not guessed correctly (I have the SVGA+ screen, not
      the UXGA [yet!]). I was also fighting with a flakey DVD drive-- so I was installing via
      CDROMs. Again, this should have worked, so I think there's some gremlins in FC6 where it
      needs to change the mounted CDROM (the installer seems to go OTL, but the system is still
      responsive).

      I still have yet to get the correct config for X11-- the r128 driver does not work correctly
      (which is what is detected at install time), but "vesa" works OK.

      As for other dirstros, I have also had good luck with Slackware, but haven't played
      with it for a while. I use RedHat/CentOS on my servers, so FC is a good indication of
      what is coming and gives all the latest "toys" for desktop use.

      Actually, in the FC forums, the people are pretty honest about the quality of a release. FC5
      had all sorts of issues upon initial release and loads of people complained about the lack
      of quality/testing. As you comment, there will always be the cheering section, but I tend to
      weed out those posts... Based on my experience with FC6 so far, I don't think they tested the
      edges (low memory, text install) too well. With a new DVD drive and 512MB RAM, the install worked
      on the second try (doing text mode rather than graphic mode).

      I inherited this I8000 with some hardware issues, so I'm having a good time getting it into shape.
      Even a laptop that is several years old gives great performance running Linux compared to M$, so
      I have no problem putting some $$$ into it to fix stuff.

      Thanks-

      --- Cris
    • Jim Diamond
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 21, 2006
        On Fri, Nov 17, 2006 at 12:05 (-0600), Cris Rhea wrote:

        >> Posted by: "Jim Diamond" zsd@... ndolam
        >> Date: Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:07 pm ((PST))

        >> Cris,

        >> for what it's worth

        >> (1) I've had many versions of Slackware easily installed onto my (now
        >> venerable) I8000, so it is certainly possible to run Linux
        >> I used to have 128, but I found a free 64MB memory chip lying
        >> around, so I am now at the lofty 192MB level. But it ran fine
        >> (with X windows) with 128MB, so that shouldn't be an issue, unless
        >> the FC6 installer itself is remarkably bloated.

        >> (2) "...high praise I've seen for FC6 on the Fedora forums"
        >> I'll bet if you go to some M$ forums you'll see people there
        >> singing praises to M$. And many people think that is rather
        >> absurd :-)

        >> If you are not tied to FC, you might try another distro.

        >> Sorry I can't offer any concrete advice, I've never used any Red Hat
        >> anything.

        >> If you have a non-FC6 question about the I8K post it back and maybe I
        >> can help.

        >> Jim

        > Thanks Jim-

        > I've made some progress...
        Great.

        > I think your first comment about a bloated installer was right on.
        > I upgraded the memory to 152MB
        Huh. Did you pay much? The last time I looked for memory for the I8K
        the price was ludicrous.

        > and it installed (in text mode) just fine. The graphical install
        > still fails because the X11 config is not guessed correctly (I have
        > the SVGA+ screen, not the UXGA [yet!]).
        Ummm... I hate those inherently meaningless acronyms and have decided
        to stop wasting neurons on them. I have a 1400x1050 screen in mine.
        If that is what you have, and an ATI card, let me know and I can send
        you my xorg.conf file.

        > I was also fighting with a flakey DVD drive-- so I was installing
        > via CDROMs. Again, this should have worked, so I think there's some
        > gremlins in FC6 where it needs to change the mounted CDROM (the
        > installer seems to go OTL, but the system is still responsive).

        > I still have yet to get the correct config for X11-- the r128 driver
        > does not work correctly (which is what is detected at install time),
        > but "vesa" works OK.
        I am using
        Driver "ati"
        only to keep it from re-loading the r128 driver if I otherwise say
        Driver "r128"

        > As for other dirstros, I have also had good luck with Slackware, but
        > haven't played with it for a while. I use RedHat/CentOS on my
        > servers, so FC is a good indication of what is coming and gives all
        > the latest "toys" for desktop use.
        Makes sense.

        > Actually, in the FC forums, the people are pretty honest about the
        > quality of a release. FC5 had all sorts of issues upon initial
        > release and loads of people complained about the lack of
        > quality/testing. As you comment, there will always be the cheering
        > section, but I tend to weed out those posts... Based on my
        > experience with FC6 so far, I don't think they tested the edges (low
        > memory, text install) too well.
        Yup, they might all have newer laptops!
        > With a new DVD drive and 512MB RAM, the install worked on the second
        > try (doing text mode rather than graphic mode).
        Well, that's good progress.

        > I inherited this I8000 with some hardware issues, so I'm having a
        > good time getting it into shape. Even a laptop that is several
        > years old gives great performance running Linux compared to M$, so I
        > have no problem putting some $$$ into it to fix stuff.
        I think with 512 MB you'll be laughing, given that with 192 I'm doing
        OK. (Admittedly, with my other laptop having a dual core at 1.G6Hz,
        the old P3-700 feels a little sluggish some times.)

        Cheers.
        Jim