Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Fedora Core6 --- Install from external USB DVD drive?

  • Alexandre Tessier
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 17, 2006
      Bob Whitman a écrit :

      > I am new to Linux.
      > How do I installed Fedora Core6 on my DELL PowerEdge 2400 server.
      > Fedora Core6 is on a DVD disk.
      > The DELL server has only a SCSI CD drive.
      > I have a external USB SONY DVD drive.
      > The DELL server has also two USB 1.0 connections(Ports)
      > and a Floppy drive.

      Good luck!

      > Is there some bootable software(Floppy or CD)
      > that will allow me to install DVD Fedora Core6
      > from my external USB DVD drive?

      I do not use FC, but usually you can copy the content of the DVD on the
      HD, build a bootable floppy, boot on the floppy and install Linux from
      the HD.
      I did it to install mandriva on an old PC that cannot boot on a external
      DVD.
      Look at the doc (maybe a README file) on the DVD.

      Alex.

      --
      http://www.univ-orleans.fr/SCIENCES/LIFO/Members/tessier/
      tel LIFO: +33 (0)238494670 tel IUFM: +33 (0)238798417
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 17, 2006
        Hi Bob,

        Hmm, since you are new to Linux, I suggest that you go to your
        loacal computer shop and buy a DVD R/W drive. It only costs about $30 and
        you will save yourself a few days of grief.

        Cheers,

        H.

      • Cris Rhea
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 17, 2006
          > 3. Fedora Core6 --- Install from external USB DVD drive?
          > Posted by: "Bob Whitman" zzboomer@... xboomerx
          > Date: Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:16 pm ((PST))
          >
          > I am new to Linux.
          > How do I installed Fedora Core6 on my DELL PowerEdge 2400 server.
          > Fedora Core6 is on a DVD disk.
          > The DELL server has only a SCSI CD drive.
          > I have a external USB SONY DVD drive.
          > The DELL server has also two USB 1.0 connections(Ports)
          > and a Floppy drive.
          > Is there some bootable software(Floppy or CD)
          > that will allow me to install DVD Fedora Core6
          > from my external USB DVD drive?
          >
          > Where do get this USB bootable software?
          > Do I download or purchase this software?
          >
          > Thank You
          > Bob Whitman
          > xboomerx@...
          > ------------------
          > PS: Hardware Specs - DELL PowerEdge 2400 server.
          > Two(2) 866Mhz Pentium III processors
          > Six(6) SCSI 9GB drives
          > 512MB of Memory(RAM)
          > SCSI CD drive
          > Floppy drive
          > Two USB 1.0 connections(Ports)
          > ------------------------------
          > System Type: PowerEdge 2400
          > Ship Date: 7/26/2000
          > Dell IBU: Americas
          > ------------------------------

          Two things:

          1. If you can use a USB external DVD drive as a boot device is determined by your BIOS.
          Make sure you have the latest BIOS update from Dell for a 2400, plug in the USB DVD and
          see if it shows up on the BIOS boot order menu.

          2. FC6 is also available on CDROMs. The same download sites that have the DVD ISO will have
          the 5-CD ISO images too.

          --
          Cristopher J. Rhea Mayo Foundation
          Research Computing Facility Pavilion 2-25
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 17, 2006