Problems with FC6 on Inspiron 8000

  • Cris Rhea
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 13, 2006
      I've been trying to get FC6 loaded on an Inspiron 8000 all weekend--

      I've tried about every combination of things I can think of and each time,
      it either aborts (red screen) or hangs (usually in the X.org main package).

      The machine currently has only 128MB of RAM, so I'm doing text mode installs--
      I've tried various combination of minimal to almost everything from the CDs and via
      network/FTP to a server that has the latest updates. My latest attempt (network load)
      resulted in it aborting due to RPM DB locking call errors.

      While I realize that the graphics cards in laptops can sometimes cause fits, why can't
      I get a simple text mode install to complete??

      From all the high praise I've seen for FC6 on the Fedora forums, I would have figured

      Anybody got this working and have any pointers??

      TIA.

      --- Cris

      --
      Cristopher J. Rhea Mayo Foundation
      Research Computing Facility Pavilion 2-25
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 13, 2006

        I faced similar issues while trying to install FC6 on my Dell Inspiron 510m
        (256MB RAM). First I tried text mode install as it is faster than graphical
        install and I have been doing this since RedHat 7.1. It didn't worked for me
        in case of FC6. Also, I found "Everything" option missing. I then tried
        graphical, that too didn't helped as I manually selected all the packages for
        installation and installation failed at around 76% while installing some
        inn.... rpm.

        After this I tried various package selections in both text as well as
        graphical mode but nothing worked. Finally, I went with graphical mode and all
        default options in package selection. This time it worked and machine was up
        with minimal installation done. After this, I installed each package on the
        all the 5 CDs through a shell script.... phew... (and during this step I
        realized that indeed that inn... rpm was corrupt! yes I did a media check that
        too went fine)

        To me it seem like there are multiple issues with the FC6 installer. May be
        not tested well... or something else...

        Thanks,
        Alwin

        --- Cris Rhea <crhea@...> wrote:

        > I've been trying to get FC6 loaded on an Inspiron 8000 all weekend--
        >
        > I've tried about every combination of things I can think of and each time,
        > it either aborts (red screen) or hangs (usually in the X.org main package).
        >
        > The machine currently has only 128MB of RAM, so I'm doing text mode
        > installs--
        > I've tried various combination of minimal to almost everything from the CDs
        > and via
        > network/FTP to a server that has the latest updates. My latest attempt
        > (network load)
        > resulted in it aborting due to RPM DB locking call errors.
        >
        > While I realize that the graphics cards in laptops can sometimes cause fits,
        > why can't
        > I get a simple text mode install to complete??
        >
        > From all the high praise I've seen for FC6 on the Fedora forums, I would
        > have figured
        >
        > Anybody got this working and have any pointers??
        >
        > TIA.
        >
        > --- Cris
        >
        > --
        > Cristopher J. Rhea Mayo Foundation
        > Research Computing Facility Pavilion 2-25
        > crhea@... Rochester, MN 55905
        > (507) 284-0587 Fax: (507) 284-5231

        Sponsored Link

        Try Netflix today! With plans starting at only $5.99 a month what are you waiting for?
        http://www.netflix.com/Signup?mqso=80010030
      • David Rumptz
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 13, 2006
          I am a Debian / Ubuntu / any Debian variant user and I can say I had the same problem when I first tried to update to Debian Etch back in June the dependencies for X.org were all wrong so no matter how hard I tried the install would not work. That is why I moved over to Ubuntu because they had the dependencies all worked out.

          I hope that helps, or at least explains why it is probably not your fault.

          Rumptz

          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 16, 2006
            On Mon, Nov 13, 2006 at 10:28 (-0600), Cris Rhea wrote:

            > I've been trying to get FC6 loaded on an Inspiron 8000 all weekend--

            > I've tried about every combination of things I can think of and each
            > time, it either aborts (red screen) or hangs (usually in the X.org
            > main package).

            > The machine currently has only 128MB of RAM, so I'm doing text mode
            > installs-- I've tried various combination of minimal to almost
            > everything from the CDs and via network/FTP to a server that has the
            > latest updates. My latest attempt (network load) resulted in it
            > aborting due to RPM DB locking call errors.

            > While I realize that the graphics cards in laptops can sometimes
            > cause fits, why can't I get a simple text mode install to complete??

            > From all the high praise I've seen for FC6 on the Fedora forums, I
            > would have figured loading it on something as mainstream as an 8000
            > would be a no-brainer...

            > Anybody got this working and have any pointers??

            Cris,

            for what it's worth

            (1) I've had many versions of Slackware easily installed onto my (now
            venerable) I8000, so it is certainly possible to run Linux
            I used to have 128, but I found a free 64MB memory chip lying
            around, so I am now at the lofty 192MB level. But it ran fine
            (with X windows) with 128MB, so that shouldn't be an issue, unless
            the FC6 installer itself is remarkably bloated.

            (2) "...high praise I've seen for FC6 on the Fedora forums"
            I'll bet if you go to some M$ forums you'll see people there
            singing praises to M$. And many people think that is rather
            absurd :-)

            If you are not tied to FC, you might try another distro.

            Sorry I can't offer any concrete advice, I've never used any Red Hat
            anything.

            If you have a non-FC6 question about the I8K post it back and maybe I
            can help.

            Jim
          • Cris Rhea
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 17, 2006
              > Posted by: "Jim Diamond" zsd@... ndolam
              > Date: Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:07 pm ((PST))
              >
              > Cris,
              >
              > for what it's worth
              >
              > (1) I've had many versions of Slackware easily installed onto my (now
              > venerable) I8000, so it is certainly possible to run Linux
              > I used to have 128, but I found a free 64MB memory chip lying
              > around, so I am now at the lofty 192MB level. But it ran fine
              > (with X windows) with 128MB, so that shouldn't be an issue, unless
              > the FC6 installer itself is remarkably bloated.
              >
              > (2) "...high praise I've seen for FC6 on the Fedora forums"
              > I'll bet if you go to some M$ forums you'll see people there
              > singing praises to M$. And many people think that is rather
              > absurd :-)
              >
              > If you are not tied to FC, you might try another distro.
              >
              > Sorry I can't offer any concrete advice, I've never used any Red Hat
              > anything.
              >
              > If you have a non-FC6 question about the I8K post it back and maybe I
              > can help.
              >
              > Jim

              Thanks Jim-

              I've made some progress...

              I think your first comment about a bloated installer was right on. I upgraded the
              memory to 512MB and it installed (in text mode) just fine. The graphical install
              still fails because the X11 config is not guessed correctly (I have the SVGA+ screen, not
              the UXGA [yet!]). I was also fighting with a flakey DVD drive-- so I was installing via
              CDROMs. Again, this should have worked, so I think there's some gremlins in FC6 where it
              needs to change the mounted CDROM (the installer seems to go OTL, but the system is still
              responsive).

              I still have yet to get the correct config for X11-- the r128 driver does not work correctly
              (which is what is detected at install time), but "vesa" works OK.

              As for other dirstros, I have also had good luck with Slackware, but haven't played
              with it for a while. I use RedHat/CentOS on my servers, so FC is a good indication of
              what is coming and gives all the latest "toys" for desktop use.

              Actually, in the FC forums, the people are pretty honest about the quality of a release. FC5
              had all sorts of issues upon initial release and loads of people complained about the lack
              of quality/testing. As you comment, there will always be the cheering section, but I tend to
              weed out those posts... Based on my experience with FC6 so far, I don't think they tested the
              edges (low memory, text install) too well. With a new DVD drive and 512MB RAM, the install worked
              on the second try (doing text mode rather than graphic mode).

              I inherited this I8000 with some hardware issues, so I'm having a good time getting it into shape.
              Even a laptop that is several years old gives great performance running Linux compared to M$, so
              I have no problem putting some $$$ into it to fix stuff.

              Thanks-

              --- Cris
            • Cris Rhea
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 17, 2006

                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 21, 2006
                  On Fri, Nov 17, 2006 at 12:05 (-0600), Cris Rhea wrote:

                  >> Posted by: "Jim Diamond" zsd@... ndolam
                  >> Date: Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:07 pm ((PST))

                  >> Cris,

                  >> for what it's worth

                  >> (1) I've had many versions of Slackware easily installed onto my (now
                  >> venerable) I8000, so it is certainly possible to run Linux
                  >> I used to have 128, but I found a free 64MB memory chip lying
                  >> around, so I am now at the lofty 192MB level. But it ran fine
                  >> (with X windows) with 128MB, so that shouldn't be an issue, unless
                  >> the FC6 installer itself is remarkably bloated.

                  >> (2) "...high praise I've seen for FC6 on the Fedora forums"
                  >> I'll bet if you go to some M$ forums you'll see people there
                  >> singing praises to M$. And many people think that is rather
                  >> absurd :-)

                  >> If you are not tied to FC, you might try another distro.

                  >> Sorry I can't offer any concrete advice, I've never used any Red Hat
                  >> anything.

                  >> If you have a non-FC6 question about the I8K post it back and maybe I
                  >> can help.

                  >> Jim

                  > Thanks Jim-

                  > I've made some progress...
                  Great.

                  > I think your first comment about a bloated installer was right on.
                  > I upgraded the memory to 152MB
                  Huh. Did you pay much? The last time I looked for memory for the I8K
                  the price was ludicrous.

                  > and it installed (in text mode) just fine. The graphical install
                  > still fails because the X11 config is not guessed correctly (I have
                  > the SVGA+ screen, not the UXGA [yet!]).
                  Ummm... I hate those inherently meaningless acronyms and have decided
                  to stop wasting neurons on them. I have a 1400x1050 screen in mine.
                  If that is what you have, and an ATI card, let me know and I can send
                  you my xorg.conf file.

                  > I was also fighting with a flakey DVD drive-- so I was installing
                  > via CDROMs. Again, this should have worked, so I think there's some
                  > gremlins in FC6 where it needs to change the mounted CDROM (the
                  > installer seems to go OTL, but the system is still responsive).

                  > I still have yet to get the correct config for X11-- the r128 driver
                  > does not work correctly (which is what is detected at install time),
                  > but "vesa" works OK.
                  I am using
                  Driver "ati"
                  only to keep it from re-loading the r128 driver if I otherwise say
                  Driver "r128"

                  > As for other dirstros, I have also had good luck with Slackware, but
                  > haven't played with it for a while. I use RedHat/CentOS on my
                  > servers, so FC is a good indication of what is coming and gives all
                  > the latest "toys" for desktop use.
                  Makes sense.

                  > Actually, in the FC forums, the people are pretty honest about the
                  > quality of a release. FC5 had all sorts of issues upon initial
                  > release and loads of people complained about the lack of
                  > quality/testing. As you comment, there will always be the cheering
                  > section, but I tend to weed out those posts... Based on my
                  > experience with FC6 so far, I don't think they tested the edges (low
                  > memory, text install) too well.
                  Yup, they might all have newer laptops!
                  > With a new DVD drive and 512MB RAM, the install worked on the second
                  > try (doing text mode rather than graphic mode).
                  Well, that's good progress.

                  > I inherited this I8000 with some hardware issues, so I'm having a
                  > good time getting it into shape. Even a laptop that is several
                  > years old gives great performance running Linux compared to M$, so I
                  > have no problem putting some $$$ into it to fix stuff.
                  I think with 512 MB you'll be laughing, given that with 192 I'm doing
                  OK. (Admittedly, with my other laptop having a dual core at 1.G6Hz,
                  the old P3-700 feels a little sluggish some times.)

                  Cheers.
                  Jim