usb missing after an update

  • Walter Cazzola
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 12, 2006
      Dear Linux Experts,
      I'm the happy owner of an inspiron 9300 with linux.

      Two days ago I have updated my Mandriva 2006 an after a reboot I
      discovered that all the usb staffs doesn't work anymore since the
      corresponding modules are not loaded at boot-time.

      At the moment to get my USB HD and mouse to work I have to give the
      following commands as root:

      modprobe usbcore
      modprobe usb-storage
      modprobe usb-uhci
      modprobe usb-ohci
      modprobe usbmouse

      I have tried to add the following lines to modprobe.conf

      alias usbdevfs usbcore
      alias usb-interface usb-uhci
      alias usb-interface usb-ohci
      alias usbfs usb-uhci
      install usbmouse /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install usbmouse && { /sbin/modprobe sg; /bin/true; }
      remove usbmouse { /sbin/modprobe -r sg; } ; /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove usbmouse

      but nothing happens and I don't understand why.

      At the moment the installed modutils/udev versions are:

      udev-068-34mdk
      modutils-2.4.26-4mdk
      module-init-tools-3.2-0.pre8.2.1.20060mdk

      and the kernel is
      > uname -v
      2.6.11-6mdk #1 Tue Mar 22 16:04:32 CET 2005

      any help would be welcome

      thanks a lot in advance for your help

      Regards
      Walter

      --
      Walter Cazzola, PhD - Assistant Professor, DICo, University of Milano
      E-mail cazzola@... Ph.: +39 010 353 6637 Fax: +39 010 353 6699