Re: [linux-dell-laptops] root password recovery

  • Douglas S. Oliver
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 8, 2006
      -----Original Message-----

      So what exactly are you asking? The root password is exactly what _you_ set; there is no default. What doesn't work with the CDROM? E.g. does it not recognize CDs? If you just want to change the root password, boot from a floppy or a CD in single user mode or rescue mode. Login as root. Make a folder somewhere; mount your root partition in the new folder you made; chroot to that folder; run passwd <new password>. That will reset the root password. The idea is that you are booting from something other than the root partition on the hard drive. Booting from the root partition would require you to have the root password to make any changes. You could actually boot from a floppy like tomsbtrt and work from that. That floppy uses xxxx as the root password. I hope this is clear. Good luck. --Douglas
    • Herman
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 8, 2006
        Reboot, press ESC to get to the boot menu, Select 'Single User Mode'
        Set the root password with 'passwd'.