root password recovery

  • khalil aboshaar
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 8, 2006
      hi all
      i need help , i forget the root password for Redhat linux 7 , and the cdrom drivce is not working
      thanks all

      Sponsored Link

      Try Netflix today! With plans starting at only $5.99 a month what are you waiting for?
      http://www.netflix.com/Signup?mqso=80010030
    • Eric S. Johansson
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 8, 2006
        khalil aboshaar wrote:
        > hi all
        > i need help , i forget the root password for Redhat linux 7 , and the cdrom drivce is not working
        > thanks all

        boot into single user mode. I don't remember what Red Hat seven is
        using for a boot loader. google the net for "single user mode" and the
        name of your boot loader be it lilo or grub.
      • Douglas S. Oliver
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 8, 2006
          >i need help , i forget the root password for Redhat linux 7 , and the cdrom drivce is not working
          >thanks all

          So what exactly are you asking? The root password is exactly what _you_ set; there is no default. What doesn't work with the CDROM? E.g. does it not recognize CDs? If you just want to change the root password, boot from a floppy or a CD in single user mode or rescue mode. Login as root. Make a folder somewhere; mount your root partition in the new folder you made; chroot to that folder; run passwd <new password>. That will reset the root password. The idea is that you are booting from something other than the root partition on the hard drive. Booting from the root partition would require you to have the root password to make any changes. You could actually boot from a floppy like tomsbtrt and work from that. That floppy uses xxxx as the root password. I hope this is clear. Good luck. --Douglas
        • Herman
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 8, 2006
            Reboot, press ESC to get to the boot menu, Select 'Single User Mode'
            Set the root password with 'passwd'.