Ubuntu 6.06 on Dell Latitude D420

  • markseeba
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 8, 2006
      I am shopping for a new laptop, considering the Latitude D420. Does
      anybody have experience with Ubuntu, or any other distribution on the
      420? I am curious, what, if any, compatibility issues I can look fwd to.

      Thanks.
    • uteck
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 8, 2006
        I had Suse 10.1 running on a D410 with no problem. Depending on the
        wifi card, you may have to grab the firmware and put that in it's
        proper location, once I did that it worked fine. Ubuntu should run
        fine on the D420 as Emperor Linux offers it pre-installed with your
        choice of distro.
        http://www.emperorlinux.com/mfgr/dell/koala/

        --
        no .sig found
        Please restart your browser.
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 9, 2006
          On Wed, 8 Nov 2006, markseeba wrote:

          > I am shopping for a new laptop, considering the Latitude D420. Does
          > anybody have experience with Ubuntu, or any other distribution on the
          > 420? I am curious, what, if any, compatibility issues I can look fwd to.
          >
          > Thanks.

          Hi,

          I don't have a Latitude but Ubuntu works fine with my Inspiron 8500.
          I upgraded from 6.06 to 6.10 and everything went smoothly. It picked
          up all my hardware and the install was a breeze. There's a live CD
          if you want to just try it out before you install it.

          Kind regards,
          Nancy

          Nancy Rudins nrudins@...
          http://www.ncsa.uiuc.edu/~nrudins/

          Take a sad song and make it better. (lennon/mccartney)
        • markseeba
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 11, 2006
            Thanks for the feedback. I actually ended up ordering a Dell XPS
            instead of the 420. We will see how it all works out.

            -Mark.

            --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Nancy Rudins <nrudins@...>