Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Newbie - SuSE Linux on Inspiron 8100

  • Christoph Eckert
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 16, 2006
      > I am trying my best to try to get SuSE linux 10.1 to install cleanly
      > on my Inspiron 8100 laptop.

      Linux should run well on this machine, and the SuSE installer should
      automatically configure the system according to the hardware. Of course
      there's never a guarantee it will do it all right on any machine.

      There's a rather dated page describing some workarounds:
      http://christeck.de/inspiron8200/

      If you want to get help from the list, please provide more details what
      goes wrong. If your machine doesn't boot into the GUI, try switching to
      another console (Ctrl - Alt - F1 through F6 are your friends), log in
      as root and read the output of dmesg:
      <code>
      dmesg | less
      </code>

      Use the space key to scroll, press q to exit less.

      Cheers,

      ce
    • Chad Sutton
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 16, 2006
        Can you post some specifics on those errors you are getting? Also it would be
        good to post your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file. That is probably where your issue
        is.

        --
        Later,
        Chad Sutton