Newbie - SuSE Linux on Inspiron 8100

  • Michael Donley
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 16, 2006
      I am trying my best to try to get SuSE linux 10.1 to install cleanly
      on my Inspiron 8100 laptop. Installer runs fine all the way through.
      Then, on initial boot I get all sorts of errors in loading the
      graphic interface.

      I am a long-time MS user, but want to try to understand this platform,
      but I don't know how to remedy this situation. I'm on a deadline to
      have this review in to my boss, so I need help as soon as possible.

      Can somebody give me a no-nonsense step-by step approach to fixing
      this problem? Please include as much detail as possible, and syntax
      of command line statements would be very much appreciated.
    • Tom Weniger
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 16, 2006
        On 10/16/06, Michael Donley <donleymike@...> wrote:

        > Can somebody give me a no-nonsense step-by step approach to fixing
        > this problem? Please include as much detail as possible, and syntax
        > of command line statements would be very much appreciated.

        Greetings Michael,

        Are you using the remastered DVD with all the new fixes? If not, then
        download a new copy and give that a try.

        HtH
        --
        Virtually,
        Tom W
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 16, 2006
          > I am trying my best to try to get SuSE linux 10.1 to install cleanly
          > on my Inspiron 8100 laptop.

          Linux should run well on this machine, and the SuSE installer should
          automatically configure the system according to the hardware. Of course
          there's never a guarantee it will do it all right on any machine.

          There's a rather dated page describing some workarounds:
          http://christeck.de/inspiron8200/

          If you want to get help from the list, please provide more details what
          goes wrong. If your machine doesn't boot into the GUI, try switching to
          another console (Ctrl - Alt - F1 through F6 are your friends), log in
          as root and read the output of dmesg:
          <code>
          dmesg | less
          </code>

          Use the space key to scroll, press q to exit less.

          Cheers,

          ce
        • Chad Sutton
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 16, 2006
            Can you post some specifics on those errors you are getting? Also it would be
            good to post your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file. That is probably where your issue
            is.

            On Monday 16 October 2006 12:30 pm, Michael Donley wrote:
            > I am trying my best to try to get SuSE linux 10.1 to install cleanly
            > on my Inspiron 8100 laptop. Installer runs fine all the way through.
            > Then, on initial boot I get all sorts of errors in loading the
            > graphic interface.
            >
            > I am a long-time MS user, but want to try to understand this platform,
            > but I don't know how to remedy this situation. I'm on a deadline to
            > have this review in to my boss, so I need help as soon as possible.
            >
            > Can somebody give me a no-nonsense step-by step approach to fixing
            > this problem? Please include as much detail as possible, and syntax
            > of command line statements would be very much appreciated.

            --
            Later,
            Chad Sutton