Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Broadcom Wirless 4311

  • Roy Beals
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 7, 2006
      Hello All,

        Since I am new to Linux and I don't have anything important on it, so I just reinstalled Linux.  Currently, I have ndiswrapper version 1.23, 1.24, and 1.25 with no luck.  One thing that I noticed was when I install ndiswrapper I lose my sound.

         My configuration is as follows:

          Dell Inspiron E1705 Dual Core
          120 gb Harddrive
          1gb RAM
          Sony DL DVD r/w

      Currently running SuSE 10.1

      Roy (Slowandgo)

      David Rumptz <rumptz_sh8kr@...> wrote:
      Alex:

      ndiswrapper? I thin kthe question is how many times and how amny ways have you tired Ndis Wrapper. I ahve enev found a wlakthrough that includes a removal of the tool before you re-install it.

      Again I am not new just confused about the whloe Broadcom issue.

      Rumptz

      Alexandre Tessier <Alexandre.Tessier@ univ-orleans. fr> wrote:
      Did you try ndiswrapper?

      Alex.

      David Rumptz a �crit :

      > I have tried a doze walkthroughs to get my Broadcom card to work and I
      > have tried plenty of Linux OSs as well but to no avail. I even
      > recompiled the kernel to the 2.6.18 and it did not help. I have a Dell
      > e1505 and I am currently running Ububtu Edgy on my machine. It is a dual
      > core Intel.
      >
      > I am too the point of springing for the Intel Wireless Pro card. Please
      > give me a walk through that will work. I am not new I am even running a
      > Linux class on Debian Sarge but for the life of me I am going crazy over
      > this.
      >
      > David Rumptz

      > Talk is cheap. Use Yahoo! Messenger to make PC-to-Phone calls. Great
      > rates starting at 1�/min.
      > <http://us.rd. yahoo.com/ mail_us/taglines /postman7/ *http://us. rd.yahoo. com/evt=39666/ *http://messenge r.yahoo.com>

      Do you Yahoo!?

    • David Rumptz
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 7, 2006
        Roy:

        You should probably uninstall but the current version of ndiswrapper. I would say the best bet would be uninstall all version then just install teh most current version that sould get your sound back.

        Rumptz

        sudo apt-get remove ndiswrapper-utils

        David Rumptz <rumptz_sh8kr@ yahoo.com> wrote:
        Alex:

        ndiswrapper? I thin kthe question is how many times and how amny ways have you tired Ndis Wrapper. I ahve enev found a wlakthrough that includes a removal of the tool before you re-install it.

        Again I am not new just confused about the whloe Broadcom issue.

        Rumptz

        Alexandre Tessier <Alexandre.Tessier@ univ-orleans. fr> wrote:
        Did you try ndiswrapper?

        Alex.

        David Rumptz a �crit :

        > I have tried a doze walkthroughs to get my Broadcom card to work and I
        > have tried plenty of Linux OSs as well but to no avail. I even
        > recompiled the kernel to the 2.6.18 and it did not help. I have a Dell
        > e1505 and I am currently running Ububtu Edgy on my machine. It is a dual
        > core Intel.
        >
        > I am too the point of springing for the Intel Wireless Pro card. Please
        > give me a walk through that will work. I am not new I am even running a
        > Linux class on Debian Sarge but for the life of me I am going crazy over
        > this.
        >
        > David Rumptz

        > Talk is cheap. Use Yahoo! Messenger to make PC-to-Phone calls. Great
        > rates starting at 1�/min.
        > <http://us.rd. yahoo.com/ mail_us/taglines /postman7/ *http://us. rd.yahoo. com/evt=39666/ *http://messenge r.yahoo.com>

        Do you Yahoo!?

        Do you Yahoo!?

      • Alexandre Tessier
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 8, 2006
          The bcm4311 seems to work with ndiswrapper (see letter D entry 53 of the
          wiki:
          http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/index.php/List#D).
          I use successfully ndiswrapper with a D-Link DWL-G650+ and I used it
          with some issues with a netgear wg511v2 (the module did not unload
          well). I never had problems when removing an old version and installing
          a new one. You should always try the last version.
          If you plan to use ndiswrapper, you should read the wiki
          http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
          and ask questions on
          ndiswrapper-general@...

          Maybe that ndiswrapper is not the better way for bcm4311... Another post
          says that a bcm43xx module exists.

          --
          http://www.univ-orleans.fr/SCIENCES/LIFO/Members/tessier/
          tel LIFO: +33 (0)238494670 tel IUFM: +33 (0)238798417