Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Broadcom Wirless 4311

  • David Rumptz
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 7, 2006
      Roy:

      I called Dell adn they told me that the "Dell Wirless 1390 Wlan MiniCar" is the Bordcom 4311 card. I had asked them about it to make sure I was using the right windows driver to do ndiswrapper on.

      David Rumptz

      Roy Beals <slowandgo@...> wrote:
      Hello all,

          I have the same problem with my new E1705.  I have tried various versions of ndiswrapper and then I have a problem with not having an having a IPV6 router. I have a Linksys wrt54g router.  I had to go in and turn off IPV6 in the modprobe.conf file.  But still no luck.

          I am running SuSE 10.1, I also tried Ubuntu, no luck.  I have the Dell Wirless 1390 Wlan MiniCard.

      Thanks

      Roy (Slowandgo)

      Alexandre Tessier <Alexandre.Tessier@ univ-orleans. fr> wrote:
      Did you try ndiswrapper?

      Alex.

      David Rumptz a �crit :

      > I have tried a doze walkthroughs to get my Broadcom card to work and I
      > have tried plenty of Linux OSs as well but to no avail. I even
      > recompiled the kernel to the 2.6.18 and it did not help. I have a Dell
      > e1505 and I am currently running Ububtu Edgy on my machine. It is a dual
      > core Intel.
      >
      > I am too the point of springing for the Intel Wireless Pro card. Please
      > give me a walk through that will work. I am not new I am even running a
      > Linux class on Debian Sarge but for the life of me I am going crazy over
      > this.
      >
      > David Rumptz

      > Talk is cheap. Use Yahoo! Messenger to make PC-to-Phone calls. Great
      > rates starting at 1�/min.
      > <http://us.rd. yahoo.com/ mail_us/taglines /postman7/ *http://us. rd.yahoo. com/evt=39666/ *http://messenge r.yahoo.com>

    • David Rumptz
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 7, 2006
        Alex:

        ndiswrapper? I thin kthe question is how many times and how amny ways have you tired Ndis Wrapper. I ahve enev found a wlakthrough that includes a removal of the tool before you re-install it.

        Again I am not new just confused about the whloe Broadcom issue.

        Rumptz

        Alexandre Tessier <Alexandre.Tessier@...> wrote:
        Did you try ndiswrapper?

        Alex.

        David Rumptz a �crit :

        > I have tried a doze walkthroughs to get my Broadcom card to work and I
        > have tried plenty of Linux OSs as well but to no avail. I even
        > recompiled the kernel to the 2.6.18 and it did not help. I have a Dell
        > e1505 and I am currently running Ububtu Edgy on my machine. It is a dual
        > core Intel.
        >
        > I am too the point of springing for the Intel Wireless Pro card. Please
        > give me a walk through that will work. I am not new I am even running a
        > Linux class on Debian Sarge but for the life of me I am going crazy over
        > this.
        >
        > David Rumptz

        > Talk is cheap. Use Yahoo! Messenger to make PC-to-Phone calls. Great
        > rates starting at 1�/min.
        > <http://us.rd. yahoo.com/ mail_us/taglines /postman7/ *http://us. rd.yahoo. com/evt=39666/ *http://messenge r.yahoo.com>

        Do you Yahoo!?

      • Roy Beals
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 7, 2006
          Hello All,

            Since I am new to Linux and I don't have anything important on it, so I just reinstalled Linux.  Currently, I have ndiswrapper version 1.23, 1.24, and 1.25 with no luck.  One thing that I noticed was when I install ndiswrapper I lose my sound.

             My configuration is as follows:

              Dell Inspiron E1705 Dual Core
              120 gb Harddrive
              1gb RAM
              Sony DL DVD r/w

          Currently running SuSE 10.1

          Roy (Slowandgo)

          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 7, 2006
            Roy:

            You should probably uninstall but the current version of ndiswrapper. I would say the best bet would be uninstall all version then just install teh most current version that sould get your sound back.

            Rumptz

            sudo apt-get remove ndiswrapper-utils

            David Rumptz <rumptz_sh8kr@ yahoo.com> wrote:
            Alex:

            ndiswrapper? I thin kthe question is how many times and how amny ways have you tired Ndis Wrapper. I ahve enev found a wlakthrough that includes a removal of the tool before you re-install it.

            Again I am not new just confused about the whloe Broadcom issue.

            Rumptz

            Alexandre Tessier <Alexandre.Tessier@ univ-orleans. fr> wrote:
            Did you try ndiswrapper?

            Alex.

            David Rumptz a �crit :

            > I have tried a doze walkthroughs to get my Broadcom card to work and I
            > have tried plenty of Linux OSs as well but to no avail. I even
            > recompiled the kernel to the 2.6.18 and it did not help. I have a Dell
            > e1505 and I am currently running Ububtu Edgy on my machine. It is a dual
            > core Intel.
            >
            > I am too the point of springing for the Intel Wireless Pro card. Please
            > give me a walk through that will work. I am not new I am even running a
            > Linux class on Debian Sarge but for the life of me I am going crazy over
            > this.
            >
            > David Rumptz

            > Talk is cheap. Use Yahoo! Messenger to make PC-to-Phone calls. Great
            > rates starting at 1�/min.
            > <http://us.rd. yahoo.com/ mail_us/taglines /postman7/ *http://us. rd.yahoo. com/evt=39666/ *http://messenge r.yahoo.com>

            Do you Yahoo!?

            Do you Yahoo!?

          • Alexandre Tessier
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 8, 2006
              The bcm4311 seems to work with ndiswrapper (see letter D entry 53 of the
              wiki:
              http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/index.php/List#D).
              I use successfully ndiswrapper with a D-Link DWL-G650+ and I used it
              with some issues with a netgear wg511v2 (the module did not unload
              well). I never had problems when removing an old version and installing
              a new one. You should always try the last version.
              If you plan to use ndiswrapper, you should read the wiki
              http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
              and ask questions on
              ndiswrapper-general@...

              Maybe that ndiswrapper is not the better way for bcm4311... Another post
              says that a bcm43xx module exists.

              --
              http://www.univ-orleans.fr/SCIENCES/LIFO/Members/tessier/
              tel LIFO: +33 (0)238494670 tel IUFM: +33 (0)238798417