Broadcom Wirless 4311

  • David Rumptz
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 6, 2006
      I have tried a doze walkthroughs to get my Broadcom card to work and I have tried plenty of Linux OSs as well but to no avail. I even recompiled the kernel to the 2.6.18 and it did not help.  I have a Dell e1505 and I am currently running Ububtu Edgy on my machine. It is a dual core Intel.

      I am too the point of springing for the Intel Wireless Pro card. Please give me a walk through that will work. I am not new I am even running a Linux class on Debian Sarge but for the life of me I am going crazy over this.

      David Rumptz

    • Alexandre Tessier
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 7, 2006
        Did you try ndiswrapper?

        Alex.

        David Rumptz a écrit :

        > I have tried a doze walkthroughs to get my Broadcom card to work and I
        > have tried plenty of Linux OSs as well but to no avail. I even
        > recompiled the kernel to the 2.6.18 and it did not help. I have a Dell
        > e1505 and I am currently running Ububtu Edgy on my machine. It is a dual
        > core Intel.
        >
        > I am too the point of springing for the Intel Wireless Pro card. Please
        > give me a walk through that will work. I am not new I am even running a
        > Linux class on Debian Sarge but for the life of me I am going crazy over
        > this.
        >
        > David Rumptz

        > Talk is cheap. Use Yahoo! Messenger to make PC-to-Phone calls. Great
        > rates starting at 1¢/min.
        > <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mail_us/taglines/postman7/*http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=39666/*http://messenger.yahoo.com>

      • Roy Beals
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 7, 2006
          Hello all,

              I have the same problem with my new E1705.  I have tried various versions of ndiswrapper and then I have a problem with not having an having a IPV6 router. I have a Linksys wrt54g router.  I had to go in and turn off IPV6 in the modprobe.conf file.  But still no luck.

              I am running SuSE 10.1, I also tried Ubuntu, no luck.  I have the Dell Wirless 1390 Wlan MiniCard.

          Thanks

          Roy (Slowandgo)

          Alexandre Tessier <Alexandre.Tessier@...> wrote:
          Did you try ndiswrapper?

          Alex.

          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 7, 2006
            Roy:

            I called Dell adn they told me that the "Dell Wirless 1390 Wlan MiniCar" is the Bordcom 4311 card. I had asked them about it to make sure I was using the right windows driver to do ndiswrapper on.

            David Rumptz

            Roy Beals <slowandgo@...> wrote:
            Hello all,

                I have the same problem with my new E1705.  I have tried various versions of ndiswrapper and then I have a problem with not having an having a IPV6 router. I have a Linksys wrt54g router.  I had to go in and turn off IPV6 in the modprobe.conf file.  But still no luck.

                I am running SuSE 10.1, I also tried Ubuntu, no luck.  I have the Dell Wirless 1390 Wlan MiniCard.

            Thanks

            Roy (Slowandgo)

            Alexandre Tessier <Alexandre.Tessier@ univ-orleans. fr> wrote:
            Did you try ndiswrapper?

            Alex.

            David Rumptz a �crit :

            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 7, 2006
              Alex:

              ndiswrapper? I thin kthe question is how many times and how amny ways have you tired Ndis Wrapper. I ahve enev found a wlakthrough that includes a removal of the tool before you re-install it.

              Again I am not new just confused about the whloe Broadcom issue.

              Rumptz

              Alexandre Tessier <Alexandre.Tessier@...> wrote:
              Did you try ndiswrapper?

              Alex.

              David Rumptz a �crit :

              > I have tried a doze walkthroughs to get my Broadcom card to work and I
              > have tried plenty of Linux OSs as well but to no avail. I even
              > recompiled the kernel to the 2.6.18 and it did not help. I have a Dell
              > e1505 and I am currently running Ububtu Edgy on my machine. It is a dual
              > core Intel.
              >
              > I am too the point of springing for the Intel Wireless Pro card. Please
              > give me a walk through that will work. I am not new I am even running a
              > Linux class on Debian Sarge but for the life of me I am going crazy over
              > this.
              >
              > David Rumptz

              > Talk is cheap. Use Yahoo! Messenger to make PC-to-Phone calls. Great
              > rates starting at 1�/min.
              > <http://us.rd. yahoo.com/ mail_us/taglines /postman7/ *http://us. rd.yahoo. com/evt=39666/ *http://messenge r.yahoo.com>

              Do you Yahoo!?

            • Roy Beals
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 7, 2006
                Hello All,

                  Since I am new to Linux and I don't have anything important on it, so I just reinstalled Linux.  Currently, I have ndiswrapper version 1.23, 1.24, and 1.25 with no luck.  One thing that I noticed was when I install ndiswrapper I lose my sound.

                   My configuration is as follows:

                    Dell Inspiron E1705 Dual Core
                    120 gb Harddrive
                    1gb RAM
                    Sony DL DVD r/w

                Currently running SuSE 10.1

                Roy (Slowandgo)

                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 7, 2006
                  Roy:

                  You should probably uninstall but the current version of ndiswrapper. I would say the best bet would be uninstall all version then just install teh most current version that sould get your sound back.

                  Rumptz

                  sudo apt-get remove ndiswrapper-utils

                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 8, 2006
                    The bcm4311 seems to work with ndiswrapper (see letter D entry 53 of the
                    wiki:
                    http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/index.php/List#D).
                    I use successfully ndiswrapper with a D-Link DWL-G650+ and I used it
                    with some issues with a netgear wg511v2 (the module did not unload
                    well). I never had problems when removing an old version and installing
                    a new one. You should always try the last version.
                    If you plan to use ndiswrapper, you should read the wiki
                    http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
                    and ask questions on
                    ndiswrapper-general@...

                    Maybe that ndiswrapper is not the better way for bcm4311... Another post
                    says that a bcm43xx module exists.

                    --
                    http://www.univ-orleans.fr/SCIENCES/LIFO/Members/tessier/
                    tel LIFO: +33 (0)238494670 tel IUFM: +33 (0)238798417