SuSE 10.1 and Ndiswrapper

  • Roy Beals
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 1, 2006
      Help! I just got a new laptop, Inspiron e1705. I am a noob to linux.

      I have the laptop set up as a dual boot with Windows Media Center and
      SuSE 10.1. The problem that I am having is this. I install the
      latest version of ndiswrapper 1.23 and I downloaded the latest driver
      for the wireless card, Dell 1390 WLAN Mini-Card. I am using the
      lastest bcmwl5 driver for the card.

      The first time I installed it worked, but now it doesn't. Everytime I
      reboot it keep asking for the Key code, but will not connect. I ran
      dmesg and I have some comments that I am not sure of.

      ndiswrapper: module not supported by Novell, setting U taint flag.
      ndiswrapper: version 1.10 loaded (preempt=no,smp=yes)
      ndiswrapper: driver bcmwl5 (broadcom,11/02/2005, 4.10.40.0) loaded
      ndiswrapper : using irq 177
      wlan0: vendor: ' '
      wlan0: ndiswrapper ethernet device 00:16:cf:46:41:ef using driver
      bcmw15, 14E4:4311.5.conf
      wlan0: encryption modes supported: WEP; TKIP with WPA, WPA2,
      WPA2PKSK; AES/CCMP with WPA, WPA2, WPA2PSK

      further down I get these messages:

      wlan0: no IPV6 routers present
      wlan0: no IPV6 routers present

      I have a linksys WRT54g router.

      I believe I have to turn off the IPV6, but I am not sure where.

      Can someone help

      TIA

      Roy (Slowandgo)
    • Roy Beals
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 2, 2006
        Hello All Again,

        In further testing, ndiswrapper is working and it recognizes the
        driver for the Dell 1390 WLAN Mini-Card. The problem I am down to is
        the messages in dmseg is:
        wlan0: no IPV6 routers present
        wlan0: no IPV6 routers present

        I have a linksys WRT54g router.

        I believe I have to turn off the IPV6, but I am not sure where.

        Can someone help

        TIA

        Roy (Slowandgo)
      • Gabriel
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 3, 2006
          Not sure how to do it on SuSE, on Mandriva I would do the following:

          in /etc/sysconfig/network, add the line:
          NETWORKING_IPV6=no
          Beware! the above disables IP6 for ALL interfaces,

          Alternatively for one interface, in the file:
          /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-xxxx, add the line
          IPV6INIT=no

          Experiment ... I've never had to switch IP6 off, I only figured the
          above by looking at the code of ifup and ifup-ipv6

          Good luck,
          Gabriel.

          Roy Beals wrote:

          > Hello All Again,
          >
          > In further testing, ndiswrapper is working and it recognizes the
          > driver for the Dell 1390 WLAN Mini-Card. The problem I am down to is
          > the messages in dmseg is:
          > wlan0: no IPV6 routers present
          > wlan0: no IPV6 routers present
          >
          > I have a linksys WRT54g router.
          >
          > I believe I have to turn off the IPV6, but I am not sure where.
          >
          > Can someone help
          >
          > TIA
          >
          > Roy (Slowandgo)

        • Chad Sutton
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 4, 2006
            I've had troubles on my wife's laptop with ndis wrapper. It came down to a conflict with the Nvidia video card. If you some to the end of your rope with this issue and you have an Nvidia card, try changing back to the "NV" driver instead of the "Nvidia" driver in your xorg.conf file.

            I can't wait for the new kernel to come out for SUSE so I can use the native Linux drivers for the stupid Broadcom drivers!

            --
            Later,
            Chad