Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Dell Latitude C400

  • uteck
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 20, 2006
      These are usually related to the 3d driver and suspend.  Some 3d drivers do not play well with suspend.  Therevarious workarounds, including not using the 3d driver if you don't have to.  What may work depends on what card and X version you are running, but you can try using the non-3d version as a quick and easy way to test if this is the problem.

      On 9/19/06, Rickard Eriksson <rickard.eriksson@...> wrote:

      Hi, I recently got a Dell Latitude C400. Most stuff worked out of the
      box but I'm still having some problems with a few things. All problems I
      have are related to the graphics card.

      Problem 1)
      This is the most pressing problem as it's annoying as hell. Whenever I
      close my laptops lid it makes X either crash or hangs the entire
      computer. So far I've come to the conclusion that it's because some VBE
      call goes berserk. Any help or ideas on why is more than welcome.

      Problem 2)
      Also releated to the same thing. Before my distrubution went up a
      version in drivers it crashed with weird artifacts whenever i closed my
      lid and ran something 3d accelerated. This I haven't found anything about.

      Problem 3)
      Suspend 2 Ram does work, but when I try to pull it out of the suspend
      mode the monitor just goes black. Why?

      //Thanks in advance Rickard Eriksson

      --
      no .sig found
      Please restart your browser.
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 21, 2006
        I now have tried it. I've tried compileing my own module - didn't work.
        I tried degradeing the version of the module - didn't work. I waited for
        a new version of the X server to come and tried it all again - didn't work.

        Unfortunatly the computer now crashes soon as i do basicly anything.
        Shutting the lid is a sure fire way. Some times when the screensaver
        goes on it does a VBE error and that makes X hang. If X hangs it usually
        doesn't start because the console behind has been pwned.

        It's quite annoying :(

        //Rickard Eriksson

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 7, 2006
          Rickard Eriksson wrote:
          > I now have tried it. I've tried compileing my own module - didn't work.
          > I tried degradeing the version of the module - didn't work. I waited for
          > a new version of the X server to come and tried it all again - didn't work.
          >
          > Unfortunatly the computer now crashes soon as i do basicly anything.
          > Shutting the lid is a sure fire way. Some times when the screensaver
          > goes on it does a VBE error and that makes X hang. If X hangs it usually
          > doesn't start because the console behind has been pwned.
          >
          > It's quite annoying :(
          >
          > //Rickard Eriksson
          >
          > uteck wrote:
          >
          >> These are usually related to the 3d driver and suspend. Some 3d
          >> drivers do not play well with suspend. Therevarious workarounds,
          >> including not using the 3d driver if you don't have to. What may work
          >> depends on what card and X version you are running, but you can try
          >> using the non-3d version as a quick and easy way to test if this is
          >> the problem.
          >>
          >> On 9/19/06, *Rickard Eriksson* <rickard.eriksson@...
          >> <mailto:rickard.eriksson@...>> wrote:
          >>
          >> Hi, I recently got a Dell Latitude C400. Most stuff worked out of the
          >> box but I'm still having some problems with a few things. All
          >> problems I
          >> have are related to the graphics card.
          >>
          >> Problem 1)
          >> This is the most pressing problem as it's annoying as hell.
          >> Whenever I
          >> close my laptops lid it makes X either crash or hangs the entire
          >> computer. So far I've come to the conclusion that it's because
          >> some VBE
          >> call goes berserk. Any help or ideas on why is more than welcome.
          >>
          >> Problem 2)
          >> Also releated to the same thing. Before my distrubution went up a
          >> version in drivers it crashed with weird artifacts whenever i
          >> closed my
          >> lid and ran something 3d accelerated. This I haven't found
          >> anything about.
          >>
          >> Problem 3)
          >> Suspend 2 Ram does work, but when I try to pull it out of the suspend
          >> mode the monitor just goes black. Why?
          >>
          >> //Thanks in advance Rickard Eriksson
          >>

          >> --
          >> no .sig found
          >> Please restart your browser.

          So I've made progress! New version of i810_drv.o and most stuff seems to
          work with Xorg 7.1.1. I can now close my laptops lid while rendering 3d
          accelerated stuff without lockups. Only thing that's left is that the
          screen goes blank from time to time when it's been idle for a while and
          all that comes back is the mouse pointer. Though as it no longer crashes
          when ctrl+alt+f1:ing to console it's sorts itself out when switching
          back into X

          //Rickard Eriksson