Re: Dell Inspiron 1100 - Installation Ubuntu (Kubuntu) 6.06 Desktop

  • candtalan
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 20, 2006
      --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "candtalan" <aeclist@...>
      wrote:

      > hardware detail - 512 MB RAM, bios A32.
      >
      > The install of Ububtu 6.06 Desktop is ususlly done by first running
      > the live CD then choosing the Install icon on the desktop. There was
      > no problem booting or running the live CD, except that the display
      > resolution remained fixed at a low value. (Similar problem when
      > installing a new HD with Dell original OS CDs in fact, which needed
      > special action to subsequently install video driver)

      [snip]
      The main details are included in the messages here under the subject of
      Dell Inspiron 1100 - Installation Ubuntu 6.06 Desktop
      dated Sep 17, 2006

      However, I also use Kubuntu and there are slight differences in what
      is needed there, for example a diferent editor is available, and file
      permissions are handled slightly differently.

      For Kubuntu 6.06 Desktop:

      using a terminal window
      sudo chmod 777 /etc/X11/xorg.conf

      (note the upper case X)
      this removes restrictions protecting the file xorg.conf and allows it
      to be edited.

      I then edited the file (using kate) as detailed earlier in this thread
      and restarted the xserver display with control-alt-backspace.

      As it happens, I wanted something to help with doing this procedure at
      any time I used the Kubuntu 6.06 desktop (live) cd in this machine -
      say, for demonstrations.

      So after editing the xorg.conf file I copied it to a usb stick as
      xorg.conf

      The edited copy of xorg.conf file resided in the usb stick and could
      be seen as

      /media/sda1/xorg.conf
      because the usb stick was automounted as sda1 onto directory /media

      I then used kate editor to create a new file containing the two lines
      sudo chmod 777 /etc/X11/xorg.conf
      cp /media/sda1/xorg.conf /etc/X11

      and for convenience I saved this also onto the usbstick, say, as
      inspiron1100-fix-kubuntu

      Now, after booting with the live cd I can insert the usb stick, and
      copy the two lines of text into a terminal, and press return.
      Then restart the xserver. More convenient than editing the file again etc.
    • Sword King
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 20, 2006
        Clarification. I was using the "alternate" not the "desktop" iso.

        --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Sword King" <sword_king@.
        ..> wrote:

> [...]
        > > installing a new HD with Dell original OS CDs in fact, which
        needed
        > > special action to subsequently install video driver)
        > >
        > > After initial searches and trying many guessed Ubuntu boot options
        > > without success, I found the information necessary on the Ubuntu
        > > forums (note 1).
        > >
        > > After a file edit process, which was not difficult even for me as
        > > someone who has avoided use of command line, things did display
        > > correctly, and I am most grateful for the information referenced
        > above.
        > >
        > > I am not new to linux but I still find I am unsure of many non gui
        > > actions, and other people even less confident than myself might
        > find
        > > this summary useful.
        > >
        > > I was also happy to see that the immediate subsequent install from
        > the
        > > edited running live cd ubuntu system was also correct in its
        screen
        > > display and needed no further editing of files.
        > >
        > > A Ubuntu forum posting on June 5th, 2006 by ssnitily included the
        > > following:
        > >
        > > ===================
        > > Default Installing on a Dell Inspiron 1100
        > > It's well known that the installation resolution for this laptop
        is
        > > incorrect and is locked at 640x480. Since the default installer
        for
        > > 6.06 involves booting and running a GUI and these installation
        > screens
        > > are much larger than this it's very difficult to install as you
        > can't
        > > see what you are tabbing to and can't click on any buttons as they
        > are
        > > well bellow the viewable area on the screen.
        > > ===================
        > > My Comment: as it happens, this described the problem I had.
        > > ====================
        > > The response on June 6th, 2006 from durableapostle was on the
        > button:
        > > ====================
        > > Default Re: Installing on a Dell Inspiron 1100
        > > I had the EXACT same problem. Here's what I did:
        > >
        > > 1) In a terminal window type: sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf
        > >
        > > 2) Change your data to what I have below (actually, add this info,
        > > <i>in addition to</i> what you already have):
        > >
        > > Section "Monitor"
        > > Identifier "Monitor0"
        > > VendorName "Monitor Vendor"
        > > ModelName "Dell 1024x768 Laptop Display Panel"
        > > HorizSync 31.5 - 48.5
        > > VertRefresh 59.0 - 75.0
        > > Option "dpms"
        > > EndSection
        > >
        > > and in Section Screen, change the monitor line to read
        > >
        > > Monitor "Monitor0"
        > >
        > > 3) Save, close gedit, and then restart the x drive (crtl, alt,
        > > backspace). It should work.
        > >
        > > 4) Now, this is the part where you'll need help elsewhere... After
        > > hard restart, this will probably go back to the small screen.
        You'll