Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Inspiron 8000 with LCD projector NEC VT45?

  • Jim Diamond
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 16, 2006
      On Tue, Sep 12, 2006 at 10:45 (-0000), candtalan wrote:

      > I want to use an Inspiron 8000 with LCD projector NEC VT45, and I
      > started with suse 10, (installed without the VT45 connected).
      > It installed ok, but when the VT45 display is required (fn, F8), I
      > loose the display at the projector - a few binary dots lines appear at
      > the top of the display only, and this is not recoverable by the
      > subsequent toggle (fn, F8), when a similar (not indentical) display
      > appears on the lapptop.

      I have an analogous problem (Latitude D620 at 1280x80 and projectors
      that only go to 1024x768).

      The solution I am currently using is to have a modified xorg.conf
      (called projector.Xconf in /etc/X11) that has the projector's native
      resolution as its only choice in the Modes line in the "Screen"
      section. After I plug in to the projector, I do

      startx -- :4 -depth 24 -config projector.Xconf

      which starts a second X session at that resolution.

      Depending on your software that you plan to use for presentation, you
      could also use nvidia's xinerama look-alike "twinview" to set up a
      dual-screen xorg.conf, and you could set the external screen to be at
      your projector's native resolution. I don't use this because I use
      acroread for presentations and acroread gets confused about how big
      the screen is when I use twinview (duh). However, YMMV.

      In case you aren't familiar with starting up two X sessions at
      once... when you terminate the "new" one, you should be bounced back
      to the old one. (And you can switch back and forth by Ctrl-Alt-F7 to
      get to the first X session, and Ctrl-Atl-wherever, where "wherever"
      depends on your system setup.)

      Cheers.
      Jim