Dell Inspiron 1100 - Installation Ubuntu 6.06 Desktop

  • candtalan
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 14, 2006
      hardware detail - 512 MB RAM, bios A32.

      The install of Ububtu 6.06 Desktop is ususlly done by first running
      the live CD then choosing the Install icon on the desktop. There was
      no problem booting or running the live CD, except that the display
      resolution remained fixed at a low value. (Similar problem when
      installing a new HD with Dell original OS CDs in fact, which needed
      special action to subsequently install video driver)

      After initial searches and trying many guessed Ubuntu boot options
      without success, I found the information necessary on the Ubuntu
      forums (note 1).

      After a file edit process, which was not difficult even for me as
      someone who has avoided use of command line, things did display
      correctly, and I am most grateful for the information referenced above.

      I am not new to linux but I still find I am unsure of many non gui
      actions, and other people even less confident than myself might find
      this summary useful.

      I was also happy to see that the immediate subsequent install from the
      edited running live cd ubuntu system was also correct in its screen
      display and needed no further editing of files.

      A Ubuntu forum posting on June 5th, 2006 by ssnitily included the
      following:

      ===================
      Default Installing on a Dell Inspiron 1100
      It's well known that the installation resolution for this laptop is
      incorrect and is locked at 640x480. Since the default installer for
      6.06 involves booting and running a GUI and these installation screens
      are much larger than this it's very difficult to install as you can't
      see what you are tabbing to and can't click on any buttons as they are
      well bellow the viewable area on the screen.
      ===================
      My Comment: as it happens, this described the problem I had.
      ====================
      The response on June 6th, 2006 from durableapostle was on the button:
      ====================
      Default Re: Installing on a Dell Inspiron 1100
      I had the EXACT same problem. Here's what I did:

      1) In a terminal window type: sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

      2) Change your data to what I have below (actually, add this info,
      <i>in addition to</i> what you already have):

      Section "Monitor"
      Identifier "Monitor0"
      VendorName "Monitor Vendor"
      ModelName "Dell 1024x768 Laptop Display Panel"
      HorizSync 31.5 - 48.5
      VertRefresh 59.0 - 75.0
      Option "dpms"
      EndSection

      and in Section Screen, change the monitor line to read

      Monitor "Monitor0"

      3) Save, close gedit, and then restart the x drive (crtl, alt,
      backspace). It should work.

      4) Now, this is the part where you'll need help elsewhere... After a
      hard restart, this will probably go back to the small screen. You'll
      need to configure things so that this loads earlier in the startup
      sequence. I had a friend help w/ this... sorry, I don't know how he
      did it. Ask around the forums. At least you'll be able to easily fix
      it every time until you can get help with the part I can't help you with.
      =======================
      My comment: I had a little uncertainty about the above point 2)
      because I could see that some lines were obvious additions and one or
      two seemed to be replacements.
      I found that point 4) was not relevant to my need to run the live CD
      and then do an install to hard drive.
      =======================
      With this hindsight I would now slightly re-word the posting from
      durableapostle to read as follows:

      1) In a terminal window type: sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

      2) Change your data to what I have below
      Section "Monitor"
      Identifier "Monitor0"
      VendorName "Monitor Vendor"
      ModelName "Dell 1024x768 Laptop Display Panel"
      HorizSync 31.5 - 48.5
      VertRefresh 59.0 - 75.0
      Option "DPMS"
      EndSection

      and in Section "Screen", change the monitor line to read

      Monitor "Monitor0"

      3) Save, close gedit, and then restart the X server (crtl, alt,
      backspace). It should work.

      4)If you want to continue to install, double click the Install icon on
      the desktop, and proceed. My experience was that the installation
      adopted the current xorg.conf values.

      ====================
      Note 1:
      http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=190022&highlight=inspiron+1100

      HTH
      alan c
    • Sword King
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 17, 2006
        When Ubuntu first loads the small 640x480 screen, you can press <esc>
        and get the boot prompt (not documented, I did it by mistake once),
        from where you can enter "live vga=773" (or "install vga=773") and
        end up with a 1024x768x16 screen. I still had to edit xorg.conf as
        you said, tho'.

        SK

        PS, I'm new here, and came looking for this exact advice. thanks.

        --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "candtalan" <aeclist@...>
        wrote:

> [...]
        > Section "Monitor"
        > Identifier "Monitor0"
        > VendorName "Monitor Vendor"
        > ModelName "Dell 1024x768 Laptop Display Panel"
        > HorizSync 31.5 - 48.5
        > VertRefresh 59.0 - 75.0
        > Option "DPMS"
        > EndSection
        >
        > and in Section "Screen", change the monitor line to read
        >
        > Monitor "Monitor0"
        >
        > 3) Save, close gedit, and then restart the X server (crtl, alt,
        > backspace). It should work.
        >
        > 4)If you want to continue to install, double click the Install icon
        on
        > the desktop, and proceed. My experience was that the installation
        > adopted the current xorg.conf values.
        >
        > ====================
        > Note 1:
        > http://www.ubuntuforums.org/
        showthread.php?t=190022&highlight=inspiron+1100

      • candtalan
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 20, 2006
          wrote:

          > hardware detail - 512 MB RAM, bios A32.
          >
          > The install of Ububtu 6.06 Desktop is ususlly done by first running
          > the live CD then choosing the Install icon on the desktop. There was
          > no problem booting or running the live CD, except that the display
          > resolution remained fixed at a low value. (Similar problem when
          > installing a new HD with Dell original OS CDs in fact, which needed
          > special action to subsequently install video driver)

          [snip]
          The main details are included in the messages here under the subject of
          Dell Inspiron 1100 - Installation Ubuntu 6.06 Desktop
          dated Sep 17, 2006

          However, I also use Kubuntu and there are slight differences in what
          is needed there, for example a diferent editor is available, and file
          permissions are handled slightly differently.

          For Kubuntu 6.06 Desktop:

          using a terminal window
          sudo chmod 777 /etc/X11/xorg.conf

          (note the upper case X)
          this removes restrictions protecting the file xorg.conf and allows it
          to be edited.

          I then edited the file (using kate) as detailed earlier in this thread
          and restarted the xserver display with control-alt-backspace.

          As it happens, I wanted something to help with doing this procedure at
          any time I used the Kubuntu 6.06 desktop (live) cd in this machine -
          say, for demonstrations.

          So after editing the xorg.conf file I copied it to a usb stick as
          xorg.conf

          The edited copy of xorg.conf file resided in the usb stick and could
          be seen as

          /media/sda1/xorg.conf
          because the usb stick was automounted as sda1 onto directory /media

          I then used kate editor to create a new file containing the two lines
          sudo chmod 777 /etc/X11/xorg.conf
          cp /media/sda1/xorg.conf /etc/X11

          and for convenience I saved this also onto the usbstick, say, as
          inspiron1100-fix-kubuntu

          Now, after booting with the live cd I can insert the usb stick, and
          copy the two lines of text into a terminal, and press return.
          Then restart the xserver. More convenient than editing the file again etc.
        • Sword King
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 20, 2006
            Clarification. I was using the "alternate" not the "desktop" iso.

            --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Sword King" <sword_king@.