Dell E1705 and Dell B130 with Linux

  • christopher_thacker
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 13, 2006
      Dell E1705 and Dell B130 with Linux:

      I am thinking about getting one of these two laptops for my mom.
      Anyone have any experience running Linux on either (or both) of them?

      I use MEPIS 3.43 (kernal 2.6.15).

      I have heard that Dell laptops and Linux do not get along very well,
      so I joined this group to find out more information.

      I look forward to any helpful replies.

      Thanks!
    • Chris Fox
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 18, 2006
        christopher_thacker wrote:

        >Dell E1705 and Dell B130 with Linux:
        >
        >I am thinking about getting one of these two laptops for my mom.
        >Anyone have any experience running Linux on either (or both) of them?
        >
        >I use MEPIS 3.43 (kernal 2.6.15).
        >
        >I have heard that Dell laptops and Linux do not get along very well,
        >so I joined this group to find out more information.

        On the contrary, Linux gets along so well with Dell laptops that traffic
        on this list has slowed to a crawl in the last year .. people are having
        so few problems.

        I have an old Latitude CPi with a 366 MHz PII processor maxed at 256 MB
        and it runs Linux like a dream. And Windows version more recent than
        W2K would be glacial on it. And everything works.
      • Chad Sutton
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 22, 2006
          Ditto that. I am writing this on an Dell E1705 with SUSE 10.1. The only
          "downside" is the Broadcom wireless chip set that it uses. Its easy to get up
          and running with NDISWRAPPER however. I'm looking forward to the next release
          of SUSE because the newest Linux kernel version will have direct support for
          the Broadcom wireless chip sets.

          Its running with all the cool XGL eye candy. I did have to tweak the xorg.conf
          file a little bit to match the 1900x1200 resolution of the screen too, but
          that is easy stuff. Although ATI now has much better support under Linux, I'm
          still an NVIDIA fan boy. So I'm using the Nvidia graphics driver.

          If you get one and have troubles just give us a shout here and we'll help you
          out.

          --
          Later,
          Chad Sutton
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 22, 2006
            Chad:

            How did oyu get the Broadcom to work? It is driving me crazy! Granted I am running Ubuntu on the laptop. What do you think is the best Linux Distro for the E1505 ? I have waxed and waned on this I have run about 6 distros on it and am still not srue where I want to end. I needs some advice.

            David Rumptz

            Ditto that. I am writing this on an Dell E1705 with SUSE 10.1. The only
            "downside" is the Broadcom wireless chip set that it uses. Its easy to get up
            and running with NDISWRAPPER however. I'm looking forward to the next release
            of SUSE because the newest Linux kernel version will have direct support for
            the Broadcom wireless chip sets.

            Its running with all the cool XGL eye candy. I did have to tweak the xorg.conf
            file a little bit to match the 1900x1200 resolution of the screen too, but
            that is easy stuff. Although ATI now has much better support under Linux, I'm
            still an NVIDIA fan boy. So I'm using the Nvidia graphics driver.

            If you get one and have troubles just give us a shout here and we'll help you
            out.

            On Monday 18 September 2006 7:39 pm, Chris Fox wrote:
            > christopher_ thacker wrote:
            > >Dell E1705 and Dell B130 with Linux:
            > >
            > >I am thinking about getting one of these two laptops for my mom.
            > >Anyone have any experience running Linux on either (or both) of them?
            > >
            > >I use MEPIS 3.43 (kernal 2.6.15).
            > >
            > >I have heard that Dell laptops and Linux do not get along very well,
            > >so I joined this group to find out more information.
            >
            > On the contrary, Linux gets along so well with Dell laptops that traffic
            > on this list has slowed to a crawl in the last year .. people are having
            > so few problems.
            >
            > I have an old Latitude CPi with a 366 MHz PII processor maxed at 256 MB
            > and it runs Linux like a dream. And Windows version more recent than
            > W2K would be glacial on it. And everything works.

            --
            Later,
            Chad Sutton
            csutton@chadarius. com
            chadarius@gmail. com
            Chadarius at Yahoo, AIM, ICQ, MSN Messenger