Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Inspiron 8000 with LCD projector NEC VT45?

  • Alexandre Tessier
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 12, 2006
      alan c a écrit :

      > Alexandre Tessier wrote:
      > > ATI or Nvidia?
      >
      > 'nvidia geoforce2 Go' in the laptop

      Mine is a geforce4 440 Go. I use the nvidia driver
      http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html (Latest Version: 1.0-8774).
      I do not use the Fn+F8 key but I use the twinview feature (xinerama
      mode). See appendix G of the doc
      http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/1.0-8774/README/appendix-g.html
      If you search in the list archive, you should find xorg.conf examples.

      Alex.

      --
      http://www.univ-orleans.fr/SCIENCES/LIFO/Members/tessier/
      tel LIFO: +33 (0)238494670 tel IUFM: +33 (0)238798417
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 16, 2006
        On Tue, Sep 12, 2006 at 10:45 (-0000), candtalan wrote:

        > I want to use an Inspiron 8000 with LCD projector NEC VT45, and I
        > started with suse 10, (installed without the VT45 connected).
        > It installed ok, but when the VT45 display is required (fn, F8), I
        > loose the display at the projector - a few binary dots lines appear at
        > the top of the display only, and this is not recoverable by the
        > subsequent toggle (fn, F8), when a similar (not indentical) display
        > appears on the lapptop.

        I have an analogous problem (Latitude D620 at 1280x80 and projectors
        that only go to 1024x768).

        The solution I am currently using is to have a modified xorg.conf
        (called projector.Xconf in /etc/X11) that has the projector's native
        resolution as its only choice in the Modes line in the "Screen"
        section. After I plug in to the projector, I do

        startx -- :4 -depth 24 -config projector.Xconf

        which starts a second X session at that resolution.

        Depending on your software that you plan to use for presentation, you
        could also use nvidia's xinerama look-alike "twinview" to set up a
        dual-screen xorg.conf, and you could set the external screen to be at
        your projector's native resolution. I don't use this because I use
        acroread for presentations and acroread gets confused about how big
        the screen is when I use twinview (duh). However, YMMV.

        In case you aren't familiar with starting up two X sessions at
        once... when you terminate the "new" one, you should be bounced back
        to the old one. (And you can switch back and forth by Ctrl-Alt-F7 to
        get to the first X session, and Ctrl-Atl-wherever, where "wherever"
        depends on your system setup.)

        Cheers.
        Jim