Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Inspiron 8000 with LCD projector NEC VT45?

  • alan c
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 12, 2006
      Peter Teuben wrote:
      > you could try , using e.g. xrandr, to switch the X display to 800x600 before
      > connecting the LCD. And then switch using Fn-F8. Another way might be too
      > boot with the LCD connected.

      Thanks I have booted with lcd connected, no obvious benefit. I will
      persue the 800x600 further, elaborating on some similar (limited) tests.

      alan c

      > On Tue, 12 Sep 2006, candtalan wrote:
      >
      >> I want to use an Inspiron 8000 with LCD projector NEC VT45, and I
      >> started with suse 10, (installed without the VT45 connected).
      >> It installed ok, but when the VT45 display is required (fn, F8), I
      >> loose the display at the projector - a few binary dots lines appear at
      >> the top of the display only, and this is not recoverable by the
      >> subsequent toggle (fn, F8), when a similar (not indentical) display
      >> appears on the lapptop.
      >>
      >> Knopppix does a better job but there is a VT45 graphics resolution
      >> issue which seems to change the size of displayed font in Open Office
      >> Impress version 2.0. (note1).
      >>
      >> Suse 10.1 Live DVD is good (I have not actually installled 10.1 on it
      >> yet), although the display issue I think was still present, but when
      >> reverting from VT45 display back to laptop display (fn, F8) the mouse
      >> cursor appeared corrupted and remained that way until the session (X
      >> app?) was restarted.
      >>
      >> I would like to use linux on this laptop for presentations, and would
      >> appreciate any comments to help move my knowledge forward -
      >> experiences, files edit (etc etc).
      >>
      >> Changing the projector is not a practical option just now, and I have
      >> not yet tried out an Inspiron 1100 I also have available - but I would
      >> prefer to stay with the inspiron 8000 if possible.
      >>
      >> Note 1:
      >> The VT45 lcd projector states it accepts a couple of resolutions
      >> including 1024x768 as input and seems to convert this to its 800x600
      >> for projection. The toggle to projector display does work ok, with
      >> correct text sizes etc, in another widely used (non linux) OS which
      >> shall be nameless and which I do not want.
      >>
      >> tia
    • Alexandre Tessier
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 12, 2006
        alan c a écrit :

        > Alexandre Tessier wrote:
        > > ATI or Nvidia?
        >
        > 'nvidia geoforce2 Go' in the laptop

        Mine is a geforce4 440 Go. I use the nvidia driver
        http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html (Latest Version: 1.0-8774).
        I do not use the Fn+F8 key but I use the twinview feature (xinerama
        mode). See appendix G of the doc
        http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/1.0-8774/README/appendix-g.html
        If you search in the list archive, you should find xorg.conf examples.

        Alex.

        --
        http://www.univ-orleans.fr/SCIENCES/LIFO/Members/tessier/
        tel LIFO: +33 (0)238494670 tel IUFM: +33 (0)238798417
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 16, 2006
          On Tue, Sep 12, 2006 at 10:45 (-0000), candtalan wrote:

          > I want to use an Inspiron 8000 with LCD projector NEC VT45, and I
          > started with suse 10, (installed without the VT45 connected).
          > It installed ok, but when the VT45 display is required (fn, F8), I
          > loose the display at the projector - a few binary dots lines appear at
          > the top of the display only, and this is not recoverable by the
          > subsequent toggle (fn, F8), when a similar (not indentical) display
          > appears on the lapptop.

          I have an analogous problem (Latitude D620 at 1280x80 and projectors
          that only go to 1024x768).

          The solution I am currently using is to have a modified xorg.conf
          (called projector.Xconf in /etc/X11) that has the projector's native
          resolution as its only choice in the Modes line in the "Screen"
          section. After I plug in to the projector, I do

          startx -- :4 -depth 24 -config projector.Xconf

          which starts a second X session at that resolution.

          Depending on your software that you plan to use for presentation, you
          could also use nvidia's xinerama look-alike "twinview" to set up a
          dual-screen xorg.conf, and you could set the external screen to be at
          your projector's native resolution. I don't use this because I use
          acroread for presentations and acroread gets confused about how big
          the screen is when I use twinview (duh). However, YMMV.

          In case you aren't familiar with starting up two X sessions at
          once... when you terminate the "new" one, you should be bounced back
          to the old one. (And you can switch back and forth by Ctrl-Alt-F7 to
          get to the first X session, and Ctrl-Atl-wherever, where "wherever"
          depends on your system setup.)

          Cheers.
          Jim