Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Inspiron 8000 with LCD projector NEC VT45?

  • Peter Teuben
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 12, 2006
      you could try , using e.g. xrandr, to switch the X display to 800x600 before
      connecting the LCD. And then switch using Fn-F8. Another way might be too
      boot with the LCD connected.

      On Tue, 12 Sep 2006, candtalan wrote:

      > I want to use an Inspiron 8000 with LCD projector NEC VT45, and I
      > started with suse 10, (installed without the VT45 connected).
      > It installed ok, but when the VT45 display is required (fn, F8), I
      > loose the display at the projector - a few binary dots lines appear at
      > the top of the display only, and this is not recoverable by the
      > subsequent toggle (fn, F8), when a similar (not indentical) display
      > appears on the lapptop.
      >
      > Knopppix does a better job but there is a VT45 graphics resolution
      > issue which seems to change the size of displayed font in Open Office
      > Impress version 2.0. (note1).
      >
      > Suse 10.1 Live DVD is good (I have not actually installled 10.1 on it
      > yet), although the display issue I think was still present, but when
      > reverting from VT45 display back to laptop display (fn, F8) the mouse
      > cursor appeared corrupted and remained that way until the session (X
      > app?) was restarted.
      >
      > I would like to use linux on this laptop for presentations, and would
      > appreciate any comments to help move my knowledge forward -
      > experiences, files edit (etc etc).
      >
      > Changing the projector is not a practical option just now, and I have
      > not yet tried out an Inspiron 1100 I also have available - but I would
      > prefer to stay with the inspiron 8000 if possible.
      >
      > Note 1:
      > The VT45 lcd projector states it accepts a couple of resolutions
      > including 1024x768 as input and seems to convert this to its 800x600
      > for projection. The toggle to projector display does work ok, with
      > correct text sizes etc, in another widely used (non linux) OS which
      > shall be nameless and which I do not want.
      >
      > tia

    • alan c
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 12, 2006
        Alexandre Tessier wrote:
        > ATI or Nvidia?

        'nvidia geoforce2 Go' in the laptop

        alan c

        > candtalan a écrit :
        >>

        >> I want to use an Inspiron 8000 with LCD projector NEC VT45, and I
        >> started with suse 10, (installed without the VT45 connected).
        >> It installed ok, but when the VT45 display is required (fn, F8), I
        >> loose the display at the projector - a few binary dots lines appear at
        >> the top of the display only, and this is not recoverable by the
        >> subsequent toggle (fn, F8), when a similar (not indentical) display
        >> appears on the lapptop.
        >>
        >> Knopppix does a better job but there is a VT45 graphics resolution
        >> issue which seems to change the size of displayed font in Open Office
        >> Impress version 2.0. (note1).
        >>
        >> Suse 10.1 Live DVD is good (I have not actually installled 10.1 on it
        >> yet), although the display issue I think was still present, but when
        >> reverting from VT45 display back to laptop display (fn, F8) the mouse
        >> cursor appeared corrupted and remained that way until the session (X
        >> app?) was restarted.
        >>
        >> I would like to use linux on this laptop for presentations, and would
        >> appreciate any comments to help move my knowledge forward -
        >> experiences, files edit (etc etc).
        >>
        >> Changing the projector is not a practical option just now, and I have
        >> not yet tried out an Inspiron 1100 I also have available - but I would
        >> prefer to stay with the inspiron 8000 if possible.
        >>
        >> Note 1:
        >> The VT45 lcd projector states it accepts a couple of resolutions
        >> including 1024x768 as input and seems to convert this to its 800x600
        >> for projection. The toggle to projector display does work ok, with
        >> correct text sizes etc, in another widely used (non linux) OS which
        >> shall be nameless and which I do not want.
        >>
        >> tia
        >> --
        >> ac
      • alan c
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 12, 2006
          Peter Teuben wrote:
          > you could try , using e.g. xrandr, to switch the X display to 800x600 before
          > connecting the LCD. And then switch using Fn-F8. Another way might be too
          > boot with the LCD connected.

          Thanks I have booted with lcd connected, no obvious benefit. I will
          persue the 800x600 further, elaborating on some similar (limited) tests.

          alan c

          > On Tue, 12 Sep 2006, candtalan wrote:
          >
          >> I want to use an Inspiron 8000 with LCD projector NEC VT45, and I
          >> started with suse 10, (installed without the VT45 connected).
          >> It installed ok, but when the VT45 display is required (fn, F8), I
          >> loose the display at the projector - a few binary dots lines appear at
          >> the top of the display only, and this is not recoverable by the
          >> subsequent toggle (fn, F8), when a similar (not indentical) display
          >> appears on the lapptop.
          >>
          >> Knopppix does a better job but there is a VT45 graphics resolution
          >> issue which seems to change the size of displayed font in Open Office
          >> Impress version 2.0. (note1).
          >>
          >> Suse 10.1 Live DVD is good (I have not actually installled 10.1 on it
          >> yet), although the display issue I think was still present, but when
          >> reverting from VT45 display back to laptop display (fn, F8) the mouse
          >> cursor appeared corrupted and remained that way until the session (X
          >> app?) was restarted.
          >>
          >> I would like to use linux on this laptop for presentations, and would
          >> appreciate any comments to help move my knowledge forward -
          >> experiences, files edit (etc etc).
          >>
          >> Changing the projector is not a practical option just now, and I have
          >> not yet tried out an Inspiron 1100 I also have available - but I would
          >> prefer to stay with the inspiron 8000 if possible.
          >>
          >> Note 1:
          >> The VT45 lcd projector states it accepts a couple of resolutions
          >> including 1024x768 as input and seems to convert this to its 800x600
          >> for projection. The toggle to projector display does work ok, with
          >> correct text sizes etc, in another widely used (non linux) OS which
          >> shall be nameless and which I do not want.
          >>
          >> tia
        • Alexandre Tessier
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 12, 2006
            alan c a écrit :

            > Alexandre Tessier wrote:
            > > ATI or Nvidia?
            >
            > 'nvidia geoforce2 Go' in the laptop

            Mine is a geforce4 440 Go. I use the nvidia driver
            http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html (Latest Version: 1.0-8774).
            I do not use the Fn+F8 key but I use the twinview feature (xinerama
            mode). See appendix G of the doc
            http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/1.0-8774/README/appendix-g.html
            If you search in the list archive, you should find xorg.conf examples.

            Alex.

            --
            http://www.univ-orleans.fr/SCIENCES/LIFO/Members/tessier/
            tel LIFO: +33 (0)238494670 tel IUFM: +33 (0)238798417
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 16, 2006
              On Tue, Sep 12, 2006 at 10:45 (-0000), candtalan wrote:

              > I want to use an Inspiron 8000 with LCD projector NEC VT45, and I
              > started with suse 10, (installed without the VT45 connected).
              > It installed ok, but when the VT45 display is required (fn, F8), I
              > loose the display at the projector - a few binary dots lines appear at
              > the top of the display only, and this is not recoverable by the
              > subsequent toggle (fn, F8), when a similar (not indentical) display
              > appears on the lapptop.

              I have an analogous problem (Latitude D620 at 1280x80 and projectors
              that only go to 1024x768).

              The solution I am currently using is to have a modified xorg.conf
              (called projector.Xconf in /etc/X11) that has the projector's native
              resolution as its only choice in the Modes line in the "Screen"
              section. After I plug in to the projector, I do

              startx -- :4 -depth 24 -config projector.Xconf

              which starts a second X session at that resolution.

              Depending on your software that you plan to use for presentation, you
              could also use nvidia's xinerama look-alike "twinview" to set up a
              dual-screen xorg.conf, and you could set the external screen to be at
              your projector's native resolution. I don't use this because I use
              acroread for presentations and acroread gets confused about how big
              the screen is when I use twinview (duh). However, YMMV.

              In case you aren't familiar with starting up two X sessions at
              once... when you terminate the "new" one, you should be bounced back
              to the old one. (And you can switch back and forth by Ctrl-Alt-F7 to
              get to the first X session, and Ctrl-Atl-wherever, where "wherever"
              depends on your system setup.)

              Cheers.
              Jim