Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Inspiron 8000 with LCD projector NEC VT45?

  • Alexandre Tessier
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 12 4:53 AM
      ATI or Nvidia?

      --
      http://www.univ-orleans.fr/SCIENCES/LIFO/Members/tessier/
      tel LIFO: +33 (0)238494670 tel IUFM: +33 (0)238798417
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 12 5:30 AM
        you could try , using e.g. xrandr, to switch the X display to 800x600 before
        connecting the LCD. And then switch using Fn-F8. Another way might be too
        boot with the LCD connected.

        On Tue, 12 Sep 2006, candtalan wrote:

        > I want to use an Inspiron 8000 with LCD projector NEC VT45, and I
        > started with suse 10, (installed without the VT45 connected).
        > It installed ok, but when the VT45 display is required (fn, F8), I
        > loose the display at the projector - a few binary dots lines appear at
        > the top of the display only, and this is not recoverable by the
        > subsequent toggle (fn, F8), when a similar (not indentical) display
        > appears on the lapptop.
        >
        > Knopppix does a better job but there is a VT45 graphics resolution
        > issue which seems to change the size of displayed font in Open Office
        > Impress version 2.0. (note1).
        >
        > Suse 10.1 Live DVD is good (I have not actually installled 10.1 on it
        > yet), although the display issue I think was still present, but when
        > reverting from VT45 display back to laptop display (fn, F8) the mouse
        > cursor appeared corrupted and remained that way until the session (X
        > app?) was restarted.
        >
        > I would like to use linux on this laptop for presentations, and would
        > appreciate any comments to help move my knowledge forward -
        > experiences, files edit (etc etc).
        >
        > Changing the projector is not a practical option just now, and I have
        > not yet tried out an Inspiron 1100 I also have available - but I would
        > prefer to stay with the inspiron 8000 if possible.
        >
        > Note 1:
        > The VT45 lcd projector states it accepts a couple of resolutions
        > including 1024x768 as input and seems to convert this to its 800x600
        > for projection. The toggle to projector display does work ok, with
        > correct text sizes etc, in another widely used (non linux) OS which
        > shall be nameless and which I do not want.
        >
        > tia

      • alan c
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 12 11:48 AM
          Alexandre Tessier wrote:
          > ATI or Nvidia?

          'nvidia geoforce2 Go' in the laptop

          alan c

          > candtalan a écrit :
          >>

          >> I want to use an Inspiron 8000 with LCD projector NEC VT45, and I
          >> started with suse 10, (installed without the VT45 connected).
          >> It installed ok, but when the VT45 display is required (fn, F8), I
          >> loose the display at the projector - a few binary dots lines appear at
          >> the top of the display only, and this is not recoverable by the
          >> subsequent toggle (fn, F8), when a similar (not indentical) display
          >> appears on the lapptop.
          >>
          >> Knopppix does a better job but there is a VT45 graphics resolution
          >> issue which seems to change the size of displayed font in Open Office
          >> Impress version 2.0. (note1).
          >>
          >> Suse 10.1 Live DVD is good (I have not actually installled 10.1 on it
          >> yet), although the display issue I think was still present, but when
          >> reverting from VT45 display back to laptop display (fn, F8) the mouse
          >> cursor appeared corrupted and remained that way until the session (X
          >> app?) was restarted.
          >>
          >> I would like to use linux on this laptop for presentations, and would
          >> appreciate any comments to help move my knowledge forward -
          >> experiences, files edit (etc etc).
          >>
          >> Changing the projector is not a practical option just now, and I have
          >> not yet tried out an Inspiron 1100 I also have available - but I would
          >> prefer to stay with the inspiron 8000 if possible.
          >>
          >> Note 1:
          >> The VT45 lcd projector states it accepts a couple of resolutions
          >> including 1024x768 as input and seems to convert this to its 800x600
          >> for projection. The toggle to projector display does work ok, with
          >> correct text sizes etc, in another widely used (non linux) OS which
          >> shall be nameless and which I do not want.
          >>
          >> tia
          >> --
          >> ac
        • alan c
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 12 11:53 AM
            Peter Teuben wrote:
            > you could try , using e.g. xrandr, to switch the X display to 800x600 before
            > connecting the LCD. And then switch using Fn-F8. Another way might be too
            > boot with the LCD connected.

            Thanks I have booted with lcd connected, no obvious benefit. I will
            persue the 800x600 further, elaborating on some similar (limited) tests.

            alan c

            > On Tue, 12 Sep 2006, candtalan wrote:
            >
            >> I want to use an Inspiron 8000 with LCD projector NEC VT45, and I
            >> started with suse 10, (installed without the VT45 connected).
            >> It installed ok, but when the VT45 display is required (fn, F8), I
            >> loose the display at the projector - a few binary dots lines appear at
            >> the top of the display only, and this is not recoverable by the
            >> subsequent toggle (fn, F8), when a similar (not indentical) display
            >> appears on the lapptop.
            >>
            >> Knopppix does a better job but there is a VT45 graphics resolution
            >> issue which seems to change the size of displayed font in Open Office
            >> Impress version 2.0. (note1).
            >>
            >> Suse 10.1 Live DVD is good (I have not actually installled 10.1 on it
            >> yet), although the display issue I think was still present, but when
            >> reverting from VT45 display back to laptop display (fn, F8) the mouse
            >> cursor appeared corrupted and remained that way until the session (X
            >> app?) was restarted.
            >>
            >> I would like to use linux on this laptop for presentations, and would
            >> appreciate any comments to help move my knowledge forward -
            >> experiences, files edit (etc etc).
            >>
            >> Changing the projector is not a practical option just now, and I have
            >> not yet tried out an Inspiron 1100 I also have available - but I would
            >> prefer to stay with the inspiron 8000 if possible.
            >>
            >> Note 1:
            >> The VT45 lcd projector states it accepts a couple of resolutions
            >> including 1024x768 as input and seems to convert this to its 800x600
            >> for projection. The toggle to projector display does work ok, with
            >> correct text sizes etc, in another widely used (non linux) OS which
            >> shall be nameless and which I do not want.
            >>
            >> tia
          • Alexandre Tessier
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 12 12:14 PM
              alan c a écrit :

              > Alexandre Tessier wrote:
              > > ATI or Nvidia?
              >
              > 'nvidia geoforce2 Go' in the laptop

              Mine is a geforce4 440 Go. I use the nvidia driver
              http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html (Latest Version: 1.0-8774).
              I do not use the Fn+F8 key but I use the twinview feature (xinerama
              mode). See appendix G of the doc
              http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/1.0-8774/README/appendix-g.html
              If you search in the list archive, you should find xorg.conf examples.

              Alex.

              --
              http://www.univ-orleans.fr/SCIENCES/LIFO/Members/tessier/
              tel LIFO: +33 (0)238494670 tel IUFM: +33 (0)238798417
            • Jim Diamond
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 16 5:20 AM
                On Tue, Sep 12, 2006 at 10:45 (-0000), candtalan wrote:

                > I want to use an Inspiron 8000 with LCD projector NEC VT45, and I
                > started with suse 10, (installed without the VT45 connected).
                > It installed ok, but when the VT45 display is required (fn, F8), I
                > loose the display at the projector - a few binary dots lines appear at
                > the top of the display only, and this is not recoverable by the
                > subsequent toggle (fn, F8), when a similar (not indentical) display
                > appears on the lapptop.

                I have an analogous problem (Latitude D620 at 1280x80 and projectors
                that only go to 1024x768).

                The solution I am currently using is to have a modified xorg.conf
                (called projector.Xconf in /etc/X11) that has the projector's native
                resolution as its only choice in the Modes line in the "Screen"
                section. After I plug in to the projector, I do

                startx -- :4 -depth 24 -config projector.Xconf

                which starts a second X session at that resolution.

                Depending on your software that you plan to use for presentation, you
                could also use nvidia's xinerama look-alike "twinview" to set up a
                dual-screen xorg.conf, and you could set the external screen to be at
                your projector's native resolution. I don't use this because I use
                acroread for presentations and acroread gets confused about how big
                the screen is when I use twinview (duh). However, YMMV.

                In case you aren't familiar with starting up two X sessions at
                once... when you terminate the "new" one, you should be bounced back
                to the old one. (And you can switch back and forth by Ctrl-Alt-F7 to
                get to the first X session, and Ctrl-Atl-wherever, where "wherever"
                depends on your system setup.)

                Cheers.
                Jim