Inspiron 8000 with LCD projector NEC VT45?

  • candtalan
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 12, 2006
      I want to use an Inspiron 8000 with LCD projector NEC VT45, and I
      started with suse 10, (installed without the VT45 connected).
      It installed ok, but when the VT45 display is required (fn, F8), I
      loose the display at the projector - a few binary dots lines appear at
      the top of the display only, and this is not recoverable by the
      subsequent toggle (fn, F8), when a similar (not indentical) display
      appears on the lapptop.

      Knopppix does a better job but there is a VT45 graphics resolution
      issue which seems to change the size of displayed font in Open Office
      Impress version 2.0. (note1).

      Suse 10.1 Live DVD is good (I have not actually installled 10.1 on it
      yet), although the display issue I think was still present, but when
      reverting from VT45 display back to laptop display (fn, F8) the mouse
      cursor appeared corrupted and remained that way until the session (X
      app?) was restarted.

      I would like to use linux on this laptop for presentations, and would
      appreciate any comments to help move my knowledge forward -
      experiences, files edit (etc etc).

      Changing the projector is not a practical option just now, and I have
      not yet tried out an Inspiron 1100 I also have available - but I would
      prefer to stay with the inspiron 8000 if possible.

      Note 1:
      The VT45 lcd projector states it accepts a couple of resolutions
      including 1024x768 as input and seems to convert this to its 800x600
      for projection. The toggle to projector display does work ok, with
      correct text sizes etc, in another widely used (non linux) OS which
      shall be nameless and which I do not want.

      tia
      --
      ac
    • Alexandre Tessier
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 12, 2006
        ATI or Nvidia?

        --
        http://www.univ-orleans.fr/SCIENCES/LIFO/Members/tessier/
        tel LIFO: +33 (0)238494670 tel IUFM: +33 (0)238798417
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 12, 2006
          you could try , using e.g. xrandr, to switch the X display to 800x600 before
          connecting the LCD. And then switch using Fn-F8. Another way might be too
          boot with the LCD connected.

          On Tue, 12 Sep 2006, candtalan wrote:

          > I want to use an Inspiron 8000 with LCD projector NEC VT45, and I
          > started with suse 10, (installed without the VT45 connected).
          > It installed ok, but when the VT45 display is required (fn, F8), I
          > loose the display at the projector - a few binary dots lines appear at
          > the top of the display only, and this is not recoverable by the
          > subsequent toggle (fn, F8), when a similar (not indentical) display
          > appears on the lapptop.
          >
          > Knopppix does a better job but there is a VT45 graphics resolution
          > issue which seems to change the size of displayed font in Open Office
          > Impress version 2.0. (note1).
          >
          > Suse 10.1 Live DVD is good (I have not actually installled 10.1 on it
          > yet), although the display issue I think was still present, but when
          > reverting from VT45 display back to laptop display (fn, F8) the mouse
          > cursor appeared corrupted and remained that way until the session (X
          > app?) was restarted.
          >
          > I would like to use linux on this laptop for presentations, and would
          > appreciate any comments to help move my knowledge forward -
          > experiences, files edit (etc etc).
          >
          > Changing the projector is not a practical option just now, and I have
          > not yet tried out an Inspiron 1100 I also have available - but I would
          > prefer to stay with the inspiron 8000 if possible.
          >
          > Note 1:
          > The VT45 lcd projector states it accepts a couple of resolutions
          > including 1024x768 as input and seems to convert this to its 800x600
          > for projection. The toggle to projector display does work ok, with
          > correct text sizes etc, in another widely used (non linux) OS which
          > shall be nameless and which I do not want.
          >
          > tia

        • alan c
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 12, 2006
            Alexandre Tessier wrote:
            > ATI or Nvidia?

            'nvidia geoforce2 Go' in the laptop

            alan c

            > candtalan a écrit :
            >>

            >> I want to use an Inspiron 8000 with LCD projector NEC VT45, and I
            >> started with suse 10, (installed without the VT45 connected).
            >> It installed ok, but when the VT45 display is required (fn, F8), I
            >> loose the display at the projector - a few binary dots lines appear at
            >> the top of the display only, and this is not recoverable by the
            >> subsequent toggle (fn, F8), when a similar (not indentical) display
            >> appears on the lapptop.
            >>
            >> Knopppix does a better job but there is a VT45 graphics resolution
            >> issue which seems to change the size of displayed font in Open Office
            >> Impress version 2.0. (note1).
            >>
            >> Suse 10.1 Live DVD is good (I have not actually installled 10.1 on it
            >> yet), although the display issue I think was still present, but when
            >> reverting from VT45 display back to laptop display (fn, F8) the mouse
            >> cursor appeared corrupted and remained that way until the session (X
            >> app?) was restarted.
            >>
            >> I would like to use linux on this laptop for presentations, and would
            >> appreciate any comments to help move my knowledge forward -
            >> experiences, files edit (etc etc).
            >>
            >> Changing the projector is not a practical option just now, and I have
            >> not yet tried out an Inspiron 1100 I also have available - but I would
            >> prefer to stay with the inspiron 8000 if possible.
            >>
            >> Note 1:
            >> The VT45 lcd projector states it accepts a couple of resolutions
            >> including 1024x768 as input and seems to convert this to its 800x600
            >> for projection. The toggle to projector display does work ok, with
            >> correct text sizes etc, in another widely used (non linux) OS which
            >> shall be nameless and which I do not want.
            >>
            >> tia
            >> --
            >> ac
          • alan c
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 12, 2006
              Peter Teuben wrote:
              > you could try , using e.g. xrandr, to switch the X display to 800x600 before
              > connecting the LCD. And then switch using Fn-F8. Another way might be too
              > boot with the LCD connected.

              Thanks I have booted with lcd connected, no obvious benefit. I will
              persue the 800x600 further, elaborating on some similar (limited) tests.

              alan c

              > On Tue, 12 Sep 2006, candtalan wrote:
              >
              >> I want to use an Inspiron 8000 with LCD projector NEC VT45, and I
              >> started with suse 10, (installed without the VT45 connected).
              >> It installed ok, but when the VT45 display is required (fn, F8), I
              >> loose the display at the projector - a few binary dots lines appear at
              >> the top of the display only, and this is not recoverable by the
              >> subsequent toggle (fn, F8), when a similar (not indentical) display
              >> appears on the lapptop.
              >>
              >> Knopppix does a better job but there is a VT45 graphics resolution
              >> issue which seems to change the size of displayed font in Open Office
              >> Impress version 2.0. (note1).
              >>
              >> Suse 10.1 Live DVD is good (I have not actually installled 10.1 on it
              >> yet), although the display issue I think was still present, but when
              >> reverting from VT45 display back to laptop display (fn, F8) the mouse
              >> cursor appeared corrupted and remained that way until the session (X
              >> app?) was restarted.
              >>
              >> I would like to use linux on this laptop for presentations, and would
              >> appreciate any comments to help move my knowledge forward -
              >> experiences, files edit (etc etc).
              >>
              >> Changing the projector is not a practical option just now, and I have
              >> not yet tried out an Inspiron 1100 I also have available - but I would
              >> prefer to stay with the inspiron 8000 if possible.
              >>
              >> Note 1:
              >> The VT45 lcd projector states it accepts a couple of resolutions
              >> including 1024x768 as input and seems to convert this to its 800x600
              >> for projection. The toggle to projector display does work ok, with
              >> correct text sizes etc, in another widely used (non linux) OS which
              >> shall be nameless and which I do not want.
              >>
              >> tia
            • Alexandre Tessier
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 12, 2006
                alan c a écrit :

                > Alexandre Tessier wrote:
                > > ATI or Nvidia?
                >
                > 'nvidia geoforce2 Go' in the laptop

                Mine is a geforce4 440 Go. I use the nvidia driver
                http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html (Latest Version: 1.0-8774).
                I do not use the Fn+F8 key but I use the twinview feature (xinerama
                mode). See appendix G of the doc
                http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/1.0-8774/README/appendix-g.html
                If you search in the list archive, you should find xorg.conf examples.

                Alex.

                --
                http://www.univ-orleans.fr/SCIENCES/LIFO/Members/tessier/
                tel LIFO: +33 (0)238494670 tel IUFM: +33 (0)238798417
              • Jim Diamond
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 16, 2006
                  On Tue, Sep 12, 2006 at 10:45 (-0000), candtalan wrote:

                  > I want to use an Inspiron 8000 with LCD projector NEC VT45, and I
                  > started with suse 10, (installed without the VT45 connected).
                  > It installed ok, but when the VT45 display is required (fn, F8), I
                  > loose the display at the projector - a few binary dots lines appear at
                  > the top of the display only, and this is not recoverable by the
                  > subsequent toggle (fn, F8), when a similar (not indentical) display
                  > appears on the lapptop.

                  I have an analogous problem (Latitude D620 at 1280x80 and projectors
                  that only go to 1024x768).

                  The solution I am currently using is to have a modified xorg.conf
                  (called projector.Xconf in /etc/X11) that has the projector's native
                  resolution as its only choice in the Modes line in the "Screen"
                  section. After I plug in to the projector, I do

                  startx -- :4 -depth 24 -config projector.Xconf

                  which starts a second X session at that resolution.

                  Depending on your software that you plan to use for presentation, you
                  could also use nvidia's xinerama look-alike "twinview" to set up a
                  dual-screen xorg.conf, and you could set the external screen to be at
                  your projector's native resolution. I don't use this because I use
                  acroread for presentations and acroread gets confused about how big
                  the screen is when I use twinview (duh). However, YMMV.

                  In case you aren't familiar with starting up two X sessions at
                  once... when you terminate the "new" one, you should be bounced back
                  to the old one. (And you can switch back and forth by Ctrl-Alt-F7 to
                  get to the first X session, and Ctrl-Atl-wherever, where "wherever"
                  depends on your system setup.)

                  Cheers.
                  Jim