Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Need help: Debian Installation

  • Chris Fox
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 19, 2006
      The *ubuntu distros rock. I like the Xubuntu flavor myself, run that on
      a modem box and you have a GUI so fast you have no sense of an
      "operating system," it's more like "electrical," the kind of instant
      response you expect from a light swtitch.

      As for easiest installer though there's a lot of competition for the
      title. I started on Linux with RedHat 7.2 and had to struggle through
      learnin Linux partitioning, but that was the only obstacle for a total
      n00b, and that was years ago.

      * Mandake/Mandriva has always been good
      * Anaconda (installer for RedHat and clones like the superb CentOS,
      Lineos, etc) is very good
      * Xandros has the best hardware detection I have EVER seen, and it
      coexists with Windows better than any distro I've tried

      Chad Sutton wrote:

      >You are probably burning the ISO as a file. You need to go to the file menu in
      >Nero and select "Burn Image...".
      >
      >Here is a quick summary on the topic that I googled.
      >
      >http://www.wizardskeep.org/mainhall/tutor/neroiso.html
      >
      >I don't want to be too bias here, because frankly any Linux is good Linux, but
      >Ubuntu or KUbuntu are probably the easiest to install these days. By all
      >means try Fedora, but Ubuntu has a wonderfully helpful community behind it.
      >
      >Its funny that I say that because I'm a SuSE user, but I've been playing with
      >the Kubuntu distro and I really like it. The install was super easy compared
      >with most distros.

    • David Rumptz
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 21, 2006
        Funny I disagree I loke the (___)Ububuntu line of
        Debian but I wnet with Kanotix.

        Kanotix which is based on Knoppix but the Debian Sid
        branch! It is cool I had no problems recompiling the
        kernel which got my ALSA sound working fine but I need
        to get the wireless working. Actually recompilking the
        kernel was prety easy too all I really did was go with
        the defaults of the new 2.6.17.9 Kernel. (Follow
        http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21)
        I could have taken the time to cut out the extra stuff
        but it really does not matter.

        Speaking of Flying my Kanotix distro really flies
        becasue it uses both of my processors.

        BTW I am following a good HOWTO on getting your Dell
        laptop to run on Linux. It is not perfect but if you
        are interested follow the directions on
        http://www.gidnetwork.com/b-103.html

        David Rumptz
        rumptz_sh8kr