Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Need help: Debian Installation

  • Chad Sutton
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 19, 2006
      You are probably burning the ISO as a file. You need to go to the file menu in
      Nero and select "Burn Image...".

      Here is a quick summary on the topic that I googled.

      http://www.wizardskeep.org/mainhall/tutor/neroiso.html

      I don't want to be too bias here, because frankly any Linux is good Linux, but
      Ubuntu or KUbuntu are probably the easiest to install these days. By all
      means try Fedora, but Ubuntu has a wonderfully helpful community behind it.

      Its funny that I say that because I'm a SuSE user, but I've been playing with
      the Kubuntu distro and I really like it. The install was super easy compared
      with most distros.

      --
      Later,
      Chad Sutton

      On Friday 18 August 2006 9:01 am, Tech Guru wrote:
      > Hello,
      >
      > I tried Ubuntu as recommended..but it doesn't have any browser plugin. Am
      > I missing anything here??
      >
      > Than I downlaod Fedora from it's mirror site
      > ftp://ftp.linux.ncsu.edu/pub/fedora/linux/core/5/i386/iso/ but ISO files
      > are too big to copy on one CD. I burned them on DVD using Nero but after
      > burning on DVD...it's not in bootable image format. Nero is simply copying
      > ISO files as data..
      >
      > Can someone help on this ?
      >
      > Thanks much!!
      >
      > Mani

    • Chris Fox
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 19, 2006
        The *ubuntu distros rock. I like the Xubuntu flavor myself, run that on
        a modem box and you have a GUI so fast you have no sense of an
        "operating system," it's more like "electrical," the kind of instant
        response you expect from a light swtitch.

        As for easiest installer though there's a lot of competition for the
        title. I started on Linux with RedHat 7.2 and had to struggle through
        learnin Linux partitioning, but that was the only obstacle for a total
        n00b, and that was years ago.

        * Mandake/Mandriva has always been good
        * Anaconda (installer for RedHat and clones like the superb CentOS,
        Lineos, etc) is very good
        * Xandros has the best hardware detection I have EVER seen, and it
        coexists with Windows better than any distro I've tried

        Chad Sutton wrote:

        >You are probably burning the ISO as a file. You need to go to the file menu in
        >Nero and select "Burn Image...".
        >
        >Here is a quick summary on the topic that I googled.
        >
        >http://www.wizardskeep.org/mainhall/tutor/neroiso.html
        >
        >I don't want to be too bias here, because frankly any Linux is good Linux, but
        >Ubuntu or KUbuntu are probably the easiest to install these days. By all
        >means try Fedora, but Ubuntu has a wonderfully helpful community behind it.
        >
        >Its funny that I say that because I'm a SuSE user, but I've been playing with
        >the Kubuntu distro and I really like it. The install was super easy compared
        >with most distros.

      • David Rumptz
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 21, 2006
          Funny I disagree I loke the (___)Ububuntu line of
          Debian but I wnet with Kanotix.

          Kanotix which is based on Knoppix but the Debian Sid
          branch! It is cool I had no problems recompiling the
          kernel which got my ALSA sound working fine but I need
          to get the wireless working. Actually recompilking the
          kernel was prety easy too all I really did was go with
          the defaults of the new 2.6.17.9 Kernel. (Follow
          http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21)
          I could have taken the time to cut out the extra stuff
          but it really does not matter.

          Speaking of Flying my Kanotix distro really flies
          becasue it uses both of my processors.

          BTW I am following a good HOWTO on getting your Dell
          laptop to run on Linux. It is not perfect but if you
          are interested follow the directions on
          http://www.gidnetwork.com/b-103.html

          David Rumptz
          rumptz_sh8kr