[linux-dell-laptops] Re: Linux-NT dual boot on DELL inspiron?

  • Kev Hall
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 7, 2000

      I have a two triple boot systems, both at home and work, one of which
      is a
      Dell Lattitude CPi R, although I have set up several dual boot system
      laptops
      for other people in my company. I can't comment on the driver issues
      for an
      Inspiron, but there is no real need to reinstall NT. I repartitioned
      all the
      drives using Partition Magic, which has worked really well every time.
      You
      can create a boot floppy to use a basic verion of Partition Magic, and
      this
      gets around the NT disk control problems.

      As for boot loaders, I actually still use the NT loader. I installed
      LILO
      on the boot sector of the Linux partition, then used a boot floppy to
      go into
      Linux and copy that boot sector into a file on the C: drive. Edit
      the NT boot.ini file to reference this as a menu option, and it allows
      you
      to select Linux from here. If you want more information on this, I can
      send you an email sometime with all the commands etc.

      Hope it all goes well,

      Kev
    • Peter
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 8, 2000
        Vivek:

        I currently have an NT/Linux dual boot on an Inspiron 3500. Dell
        shipped my 6GB drive as a 2GB FAT and 4GB NTFS, so I just used
        Partition Magic to delete the NTFS (NT installed on FAT partition) and
        then used the install tool in RH6.1 to partition the now-free space.
        At the moment, I have sound, PC card ethernet, graphics, and all the
        basics working. I'm a newbie to linux, so it's nothing hard to get
        these things to work. There are a lot of Linux on 3500 pages out
        there, and between them all, you'll find something to help you. As for
        booting, I installed Lilo on one of the partitions, and then followed
        one on the mini-howtos to dualboot linux and NT.

        As far as drivers, as I said most everything works. If you want more
        specifics, either email me, or look at http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/k
        harker/linux-laptop/ for 3500 pages...I should have one of my own up
        soon

        Good luck

        Peter

        "vivek" <vivekchopr-@...> wrote:
        =282
        > I needed some advice about having a Linux, NT dual boot on a DELL
        > inspiron
        > (3500? 3700?). I am at the stage of deciding what laptop to buy and
        > would
        > really really appreciate any help or pointers at this stage.
        >
        > * Would I need to partition the disk and then reinstall NT?
        > * or is there any s/w available to partition a disk *safely*
        > with NT installed.
        > * Where should I install LILO? MBR?
        > * Any issue with linux drivers being available for inspiron laptop
        etc.

        > Any help would be appreciated.
        >
        > Thanks!

      • Shiwu Gao
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 9, 2000

          You can find answers to some of your questions.

          > * Would I need to partition the disk and then reinstall NT?
          You need to partition the disk with fips, yet you can keep the
          Window partition intact during partition and installation. (But
          this should be done with care).

          > * or is there any s/w available to partition a disk *safely*
          > with NT installed.
          Fips works!

          > * Where should I install LILO? MBR?
          Yes, 'Master boot record' when you are prompted with other choices.

          > * Any issue with linux drivers being available for inspiron laptop etc.
          See for example 'Linux on laptops' homepage.

          http://physics.open.ac.uk/~rpblake/linux_laptop

          Good luck

          Shiwu