Re: Need help: Debian Installation

  • uteck
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 18, 2006
      Here are instructions for getting web and media plugins working for ubuntu.
      https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats

      The "Before You Start" has links to walk you through various steps to
      enable the non-free plugins, then you can follow the rest of the steps
      to installing them.

      --
      no .sig found
      Please restart your browser.
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 18, 2006
        Hello,

        Sorry to hear about your trouble. I would stick with Ubuntu if I were
        you and look into a program called "Automatix".

        It will help install the bits of software that projects like Ubuntu
        cannot legally install by default.

      • Chad Sutton
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 19, 2006
          You are probably burning the ISO as a file. You need to go to the file menu in
          Nero and select "Burn Image...".

          Here is a quick summary on the topic that I googled.

          http://www.wizardskeep.org/mainhall/tutor/neroiso.html

          I don't want to be too bias here, because frankly any Linux is good Linux, but
          Ubuntu or KUbuntu are probably the easiest to install these days. By all
          means try Fedora, but Ubuntu has a wonderfully helpful community behind it.

          Its funny that I say that because I'm a SuSE user, but I've been playing with
          the Kubuntu distro and I really like it. The install was super easy compared
          with most distros.

          --
          Later,
          Chad Sutton

          On Friday 18 August 2006 9:01 am, Tech Guru wrote:
          > Hello,
          >
          > I tried Ubuntu as recommended..but it doesn't have any browser plugin. Am
          > I missing anything here??
          >
          > Than I downlaod Fedora from it's mirror site
          > ftp://ftp.linux.ncsu.edu/pub/fedora/linux/core/5/i386/iso/ but ISO files
          > are too big to copy on one CD. I burned them on DVD using Nero but after
          > burning on DVD...it's not in bootable image format. Nero is simply copying
          > ISO files as data..
          >
          > Can someone help on this ?
          >
          > Thanks much!!
          >
          > Mani

        • Chris Fox
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 19, 2006
            The *ubuntu distros rock. I like the Xubuntu flavor myself, run that on
            a modem box and you have a GUI so fast you have no sense of an
            "operating system," it's more like "electrical," the kind of instant
            response you expect from a light swtitch.

            As for easiest installer though there's a lot of competition for the
            title. I started on Linux with RedHat 7.2 and had to struggle through
            learnin Linux partitioning, but that was the only obstacle for a total
            n00b, and that was years ago.

            * Mandake/Mandriva has always been good
            * Anaconda (installer for RedHat and clones like the superb CentOS,
            Lineos, etc) is very good
            * Xandros has the best hardware detection I have EVER seen, and it
            coexists with Windows better than any distro I've tried

            Chad Sutton wrote:

            >You are probably burning the ISO as a file. You need to go to the file menu in
            >Nero and select "Burn Image...".
            >
            >Here is a quick summary on the topic that I googled.
            >
            >http://www.wizardskeep.org/mainhall/tutor/neroiso.html
            >
            >I don't want to be too bias here, because frankly any Linux is good Linux, but
            >Ubuntu or KUbuntu are probably the easiest to install these days. By all
            >means try Fedora, but Ubuntu has a wonderfully helpful community behind it.
            >
            >Its funny that I say that because I'm a SuSE user, but I've been playing with
            >the Kubuntu distro and I really like it. The install was super easy compared
            >with most distros.

          • David Rumptz
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 21, 2006
              Funny I disagree I loke the (___)Ububuntu line of
              Debian but I wnet with Kanotix.

              Kanotix which is based on Knoppix but the Debian Sid
              branch! It is cool I had no problems recompiling the
              kernel which got my ALSA sound working fine but I need
              to get the wireless working. Actually recompilking the
              kernel was prety easy too all I really did was go with
              the defaults of the new 2.6.17.9 Kernel. (Follow
              http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21)
              I could have taken the time to cut out the extra stuff
              but it really does not matter.

              Speaking of Flying my Kanotix distro really flies
              becasue it uses both of my processors.

              BTW I am following a good HOWTO on getting your Dell
              laptop to run on Linux. It is not perfect but if you
              are interested follow the directions on
              http://www.gidnetwork.com/b-103.html

              David Rumptz
              rumptz_sh8kr