Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Need help: Debian Installation on dell E1505

  • David Rumptz
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 15, 2006
      MJ:

      Speaking of Dell e1505 I bought one in June (more than
      now) and am doing hte same thing I have one word for
      you Kanotix. But if you want ease of use then it has
      to be Ubuntu or Kubuntu. I like Ubuntu the best of the
      Ubuntu distros.

      As far as installing goes

      Debian is prety simple you just chose the defaults but
      WARNING some unstable does nto install well. I hav
      enoit tried Testing form the Debian site but I asume
      it does not load X.org properly

      Ububtu and any version of it is darn simple just clik
      a few buttons and it does all the rest no questions
      asked

      Kanotix was a little harder ....

      Now the rest of this might be too much info----------

      I have downloaded a bunch of Linux Distros and
      Kanotix works the best so far. It is based on Debian
      Sid so it has a lot of the stuff I like

      BUT It all depends what you are used to in the case of
      Linux. I have been running Linux for a few years and
      got stuck on Debian by way of Knoppix 3.0

      So now I am a huge Debian fan and do not like systems
      that water down Debian in any way. I actually was
      proud when I moved to a stright Debian Sarge system
      but the problem is it is too slow for my modern
      processor and Debian Etch (unstable) or Sid (testing)
      from Debian's main site has a problem loading X.org so
      I had to go with Kanotix (a Knoppix flavor)...But it
      was working great when I did an Apt0get upgrade now I
      just played with tit this morning and got it back to
      the old funky Kanotix flavor

      BSD I could not get Free BSD to load X.org properly. I
      just failed and game me a command line. I do not know
      the BSD Repos so I did not try to change the sources.
      List file I just went on to a different Linux Distro.

      On my laptop I have tried

      Debian Sarge

      Debian Etch (X.org problem)

      Debian Sid (by way of Kanotix- current system)- It is
      nice but it faults when you close the lid on the
      laptop - Sound does not work

      Ubuntu (KUbuntu) I do not really like the GPG Key
      thing it is kind of annoying but it does work after
      you close the lid on the laptop

      MEPIS - (Ubuntu based) It is nice but it faults when
      you close the lid on the laptop

      FreeSpire- I only tried it for a day not at home I
      want to see if the wireless works on it it was nice
      but I did not test it much but It is nice but it
      faults when you close the lid on the laptop

      I am up at 3:30 am and am pissed I cannot sleep Today
      will suck!

      Well it is 4 am

      Did you hear that "procurement" wants to sell all the
      working computers and then leave me with nothing but
      broken computers!!!!

      What about the secure process?

      I got to look up the old e-mail and see the policy.

      I though Jerry or Maryanne worked that out.

      Besides that MEPIS was OK but it is Ubuntu based so I
      have to deal with GPG keys and that is annoying I know
      how to deal with GPG now but it takes time and I do
      not like some of the default settings.

      I am moving over to
      Kanotix Kano dev team based on Knoppix It is a
      Knoppix distro based on Debian / Sid which is the
      unstable branch of Debian. I t give me most of what I
      want and am used to under Debian except Gnome which I
      can install through Apt-Get so I just got to clean up
      the HD MEPIS does 4 partitions not well. Then I should
      be good to go.

      I was bummed Free BSD had the X.org dependencie
      problems I wanted to try out BSD as it is Unix so it
      would have been interesting to see the differenece
      between and Unix

      To tell you the truth it all seams no big deal because
      I think Xorg runs Gnome or KDE as its X11 Windows
      Manager so on the face things are going to be the same
      no matter the distro you use it is really a difference
      for the Power User Sys Admin which Distro you use
      because for the "User" they only see the Windows
      Manager

      My thoughts at , now, 4 am

      Rumptz
      Some thoughts David

      --- techguru2006 <techguru2006@...> wrote:

      > Hi Team,
      >
      > I am installing Debian linux in Dell E1505 laptop.
      > After doing lot of
      > google and trying tutorials myself, I lost myself in
      > too much of
      > informaion..
      >
      > I was wondering if someone on group can help me by
      > pointing to step-by-
      > step process for installation. I have downloaded the
      > ISO image for
      > I386..what next? I guess LILO configuration should
      > be done after LINUX
      > OS is installed ?
      >
      > Since it's a new laptop, I do have any data to
      > back-up.
      >
      > Any help will be highly appreciated.
      >
      > Thanks
      > MJ

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Tech Guru
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 18, 2006
        Hello,

        I tried Ubuntu as recommended..but it doesn't have any browser plugin. Am I missing anything here??

        Than I downlaod Fedora from it's mirror site ftp://ftp.linux.ncsu.edu/pub/fedora/linux/core/5/i386/iso/ but ISO files are too big to copy on one CD. I burned them on DVD using Nero but after burning on DVD...it's not in bootable image format. Nero is simply copying ISO files as data..

        Can someone help on this ?

        Thanks much!!

        Mani

        David Rumptz <rumptz_sh8kr@...> wrote:
        Again the problem is that ?Debian Sarge is way too
        slow for a newer coputer adn etch faults on the X.org
        install.

        Rumptz

        --- Chris Fox <chrisfox8@comcast. net> wrote:

        > techguru2006 wrote:
        >
        > >Hi Team,
        > >
        > >I am installing Debian linux in Dell E1505 laptop.
        > After doing lot of
        > >google and trying tutorials myself, I lost myself
        > in too much of
        > >informaion. .
        > >
        > >I was wondering if someone on group can help me by
        > pointing to step-by-
        > >step process for installation. I have downloaded
        > the ISO image for
        > >I386..what next? I guess LILO configuration should
        > be done after LINUX
        > >OS is installed ?
        > >
        > >Since it's a new laptop, I do have any data to
        > back-up.
        > >
        > >Any help will be highly appreciated.
        > >
        > Have you tried it and had problems? I've been able
        > to install Debian on
        > desktops and laptops byu booting the CD and pressing
        > Enter a bunch of
        > times. The only real challenge is the partitioning
        > and most distros
        > will set up a default partiotion set now.
        >
        > Highly recommended to use the DVDs if you can.

        Do You Yahoo!?
        http://mail. yahoo.com

      • uteck
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 18, 2006
          Here are instructions for getting web and media plugins working for ubuntu.
          https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats

          The "Before You Start" has links to walk you through various steps to
          enable the non-free plugins, then you can follow the rest of the steps
          to installing them.

          --
          no .sig found
          Please restart your browser.
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 18, 2006
            Hello,

            Sorry to hear about your trouble. I would stick with Ubuntu if I were
            you and look into a program called "Automatix".

            It will help install the bits of software that projects like Ubuntu
            cannot legally install by default.

          • Chad Sutton
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 19, 2006
              You are probably burning the ISO as a file. You need to go to the file menu in
              Nero and select "Burn Image...".

              Here is a quick summary on the topic that I googled.

              http://www.wizardskeep.org/mainhall/tutor/neroiso.html

              I don't want to be too bias here, because frankly any Linux is good Linux, but
              Ubuntu or KUbuntu are probably the easiest to install these days. By all
              means try Fedora, but Ubuntu has a wonderfully helpful community behind it.

              Its funny that I say that because I'm a SuSE user, but I've been playing with
              the Kubuntu distro and I really like it. The install was super easy compared
              with most distros.

              --
              Later,
              Chad Sutton

              On Friday 18 August 2006 9:01 am, Tech Guru wrote:
              > Hello,
              >
              > I tried Ubuntu as recommended..but it doesn't have any browser plugin. Am
              > I missing anything here??
              >
              > Than I downlaod Fedora from it's mirror site
              > ftp://ftp.linux.ncsu.edu/pub/fedora/linux/core/5/i386/iso/ but ISO files
              > are too big to copy on one CD. I burned them on DVD using Nero but after
              > burning on DVD...it's not in bootable image format. Nero is simply copying
              > ISO files as data..
              >
              > Can someone help on this ?
              >
              > Thanks much!!
              >
              > Mani

            • Chris Fox
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 19, 2006
                The *ubuntu distros rock. I like the Xubuntu flavor myself, run that on
                a modem box and you have a GUI so fast you have no sense of an
                "operating system," it's more like "electrical," the kind of instant
                response you expect from a light swtitch.

                As for easiest installer though there's a lot of competition for the
                title. I started on Linux with RedHat 7.2 and had to struggle through
                learnin Linux partitioning, but that was the only obstacle for a total
                n00b, and that was years ago.

                * Mandake/Mandriva has always been good
                * Anaconda (installer for RedHat and clones like the superb CentOS,
                Lineos, etc) is very good
                * Xandros has the best hardware detection I have EVER seen, and it
                coexists with Windows better than any distro I've tried

                Chad Sutton wrote:

                >You are probably burning the ISO as a file. You need to go to the file menu in
                >Nero and select "Burn Image...".
                >
                >Here is a quick summary on the topic that I googled.
                >
                >http://www.wizardskeep.org/mainhall/tutor/neroiso.html
                >
                >I don't want to be too bias here, because frankly any Linux is good Linux, but
                >Ubuntu or KUbuntu are probably the easiest to install these days. By all
                >means try Fedora, but Ubuntu has a wonderfully helpful community behind it.
                >
                >Its funny that I say that because I'm a SuSE user, but I've been playing with
                >the Kubuntu distro and I really like it. The install was super easy compared
                >with most distros.

              • David Rumptz
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 21, 2006
                  Funny I disagree I loke the (___)Ububuntu line of
                  Debian but I wnet with Kanotix.

                  Kanotix which is based on Knoppix but the Debian Sid
                  branch! It is cool I had no problems recompiling the
                  kernel which got my ALSA sound working fine but I need
                  to get the wireless working. Actually recompilking the
                  kernel was prety easy too all I really did was go with
                  the defaults of the new 2.6.17.9 Kernel. (Follow
                  http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21)
                  I could have taken the time to cut out the extra stuff
                  but it really does not matter.

                  Speaking of Flying my Kanotix distro really flies
                  becasue it uses both of my processors.

                  BTW I am following a good HOWTO on getting your Dell
                  laptop to run on Linux. It is not perfect but if you
                  are interested follow the directions on
                  http://www.gidnetwork.com/b-103.html

                  David Rumptz
                  rumptz_sh8kr